Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th January 2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default How Do You Get Ideas For Blog Posts?

Sharon Housley talks to us about ideas on things to blog about.

"Consider tackling all of the content that many other publishers find difficult or uncomfortable. Controversial or content that is difficult to write about is often overlooked, look at challenging content as an opportunity."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ng/007599.html

How do you get your ideas?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th January 2007, 07:38 AM   #2
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

Not only to prove the point that asking people to respond works, but to help others, here we go:

I usually only blog about things that I like. Might sound trite, but bear with me here.

Let's say you're new to blogging - the idea excites you and you want to blog.

Getting the blog is pretty easy - pick your level of "behind the scenes involvement" and go forth to exist.

But, HAVING a blog and MAKING a SUCCESSFUL blog to two very different things.

Making a blog successful (be it revenue generating, number of readers, overall traffic volumes, etc.) takes lots of work. It takes time to research topics, time to write the posts, time to weed out comment spam, time to generate traffic, etc.

So, back to my original statement - I blog on things I like.

This doesn't mean I have a general blog and post what catches my eye.

It means the blogs I have (4 currently) are each focused on a niche subject that I know, participate in and LOVE.

Working on projects that you find yourself emotionally invested in ensures they will continue to grow in the lean times. Trying to make a business on a topic that's "hot" is going to be work - and if you need to write 20+ articles a week for your blog to keep readers coming back and traffic numbers growing, well, would you rather it be on topics you enjoy, or something that's work?

Old 1st February 2007, 09:09 PM   #3
reemshuks

Default blog

It definitely helps to blog on a subject you enjoy. It makes it so much easier to keep it interesting.

reemshuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2007, 02:37 PM   #4
tntmartin

Hi,
I agree with you totally. I have been making lists of subjects I enjoy and have some knowledge of. I know it is going to be work, but I want to enjoy doing it. I have never done a blog before. Any advice?

tntmartin

tntmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Nancy

Default How Do You Get Ideas For Blog Posts And RSS Feed Posts?

Since you are a travel agent you could always blog about locations or packages and point readers to that section in your store.

Or I see you also sell health products - you could do a blog on vitamins and supplements, diseases, treatments, etc.

One thing I would advise is - pre write 30 or so posts before you start. There will be days when you get busy with something else and it's nice to go into your stash and pull an article you've already written to post!

Nancy

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 09:45 PM   #6
LAUREEN

I recently started a blog. What I did was take an aspect of my business that I am passionate about and then I begin blogging about the subject. My blog is about marketing solutions. I am giving great marketing tips on marketing a business and I am now going to tie in the importance of listening in order to be a more effective marketer and how it will impact the bottom line.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Matt McGee; 20th February 2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: No link drops, please. :-)
LAUREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 05:28 PM   #7
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie
Smile

I think it would be better if you will try to do a blog on topic that you are familiar with or have lots of knowledge with.

Also try topics that are interesting and unique so other people might feel intrigue and curious with your blog.

Old 22nd February 2007, 09:46 AM   #8
QwkSand
VIP Contributor

I usually surf the web and if I see something interesting that is related to my blog, I use that as a reference to the post that I'll write. Interesting, new, and interactive stuff. As long as it doesn't stray from the main topic of the blog, then it's fine for me.

My Agent of Value: Outsource Link Building
QwkSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:37 AM   #9
RockerOB

It's best to stick to your interests and the subject
of your blog, of course. I sometimes put in some posts
unrelated to music but I find interesting, but more than
half of my posts are about music and guitars.

My blog is more of a hobby blog, though. If your blog
goes side by side with a business, then just stick to
posts concerning your business or related to it.

RockerOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 08:00 PM   #10
TAAZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Since you are a travel agent you could always blog about locations or packages and point readers to that section in your store.

Or I see you also sell health products - you could do a blog on vitamins and supplements, diseases, treatments, etc.

One thing I would advise is - pre write 30 or so posts before you start. There will be days when you get busy with something else and it's nice to go into your stash and pull an article you've already written to post!

Nancy
Nancy; don't be fooled -- it's one thing to be a "REAL Travel Agent"; but it's another thing to be "just a Blogger" copying / pasting Travel articles into a Blog.

TAAZ is offline   Reply With Quote