Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st July 2007, 12:37 PM   #1
EricP

Default Up 440% But....

A little background first. I quit my job the last day of June. I have many reasons... One being I wanted to work from home. I am as green as it gets. But I have the drive and the creativity. I also want to commit to spending more time on this board also.

I have several blogs. On July 18th I decided to really focus on one. The niche is "stay at home dad, adoption from fostercare and cooking for a large family."
Since july 18th I have increased my visitors 440%. All I did was:
  1. Start posting on related forums that I already visited, signature with a link.
  2. Start commenting on related blogs that I already read, signature with a link.
  3. Linked to and started a "relationship" with some heavy hitters in the niche "adoption from fostercare."
  4. Got some links from them.
  5. I have written an article with a bio and a link. This is very recently published (yesterday) and probably haven't seen much, if any, traffic from that yet.
This is great! But- in the days since the 18th I have made less than a dollar in adsense and 0 with amazon omakase links. My thought is maybe adsense and amazon aren't good fits for my niche. I also have payperpost buttons because they seemed to be popular on similar blogs=$0. I am ready to replace all this with something new.
Would you do a complete dump and replace or wean it off and replace over time. Or am I just impatient? Any other tips would be appreciated.

EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st July 2007, 01:52 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'd say to give it some more time. It was less than two weeks ago that you started focusing on this blog.

Yes, it may be that those programs aren't a good fit with this particular audience. But two weeks isn't really long enough to say, IMO.

If you haven't already, you might want to look at our own Jenn's free ebook: Zero Dollars, a Little Talent and Thirty Days. The case study she covers in there is very similar to your situation in a lot of respects. I think you may find some interesting ideas and information in there.

HTH!

--Torka

Old 31st July 2007, 02:18 PM   #3
EricP

Default That's right, her book

Jens book was what inspired me to focus on this one blog. You know what...I'm gonna re-read it today. I think I need to be re inspired. It may trigger something too. Thanks!

Old 1st August 2007, 01:01 AM   #4
solid28
VIP Contributor

Smile Right On!

Hey Eric,

I enjoyed reading this thread, thanks for posting. I am am also making a living blogging so I can support my travels in Taiwan/China.

I agree w/what Torka said, give it some more time. Your site needs time to propagate through the web.

Best,
Evan

Old 1st August 2007, 11:34 AM   #5
EricP

Default Thanks

Thanks Guys,
I'll be patient. Another question. This should probably be a new thread in a different forum. Is there a hack for adsense to make the ads more relevant? Most of my ads come up for recipes, cooking etc.. I would like more parenting oriented ads. I'll search the forums for an answer also.

Old 1st August 2007, 02:14 PM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I suspect that's at least in part because there are probably more people advertising in AdWords (which is where the AdSense ads come from) on recipes and cooking keywords than there are advertising on parenting topics.

You could try section targeting to emphasize the topics you want and de-emphasize the ones you don't.

Be aware that it won't work on individual posts where the topic of the post is food. It's against the AdSense TOS to use sectioning to cause ads to come up that aren't relevant to the topic of the page.

But it might help on your main and category pages.

--Torka

Old 1st August 2007, 10:18 PM   #7
EricP

This is exactly what I was looking for. 50% of the content is "parenting difficult children", the other is food, recipes etc.. This will work perfect. No TOS broken.

Thanks Torka. You made my night. Now I get to tweak code and fart around half the night.

Old 2nd August 2007, 03:24 AM   #8
solid28
VIP Contributor

You could consider breaking your blog into two different blogs. The consistent subject will surely give more relevant ads.

Kind regards,
Evan

Old 2nd August 2007, 01:32 PM   #9
EricP

that is another good idea. I actually have an offer to write a column/blog for a website about cooking/recipes. I could do all my cooking stuff on there and do the parenting on my original.
Thanks for the slap of reality. I find one of the hardest things about working alone at home is not having an immediate resource to bounce ideas off of. I came from a corporate management career, constant collaboration. I miss that, just the collaboration not the corporate part. Now I have Small business ideas forum I guess.

Old 17th August 2007, 01:28 AM   #10
EricP

Default Update

It's been a month since I started focusing more time on this blog. Traffic grows with every post. Comments have increased. Consistent readers. Adsense went from near $0 to Over 5 bucks. The only adsense I have is one 4 link unit below the header. It seems new content and persistence will pay off.

Amazon still $0. I'm going to rethink this, not drop it. I'll play with the products and see if there are any hits.

I split the blog, Parenting concerns, family stuff and related articles/essays on the original. And a new blogish (hubpages) thing for recipes. Both seem to move traffic to the other but more importantly both are growing independently and have loyal subscribers. Both get PPCs now. Not a lot, but its growing.

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas