Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th September 2006, 10:48 PM   #1
Kudjap or Bust

Default Does Being an Affiliate Really Work

Hi

I have signed up with a few sites to become an affiliate and sell their product, some through Clickbank some found while browsing. I've been at this now for a few weeks, have placed advertisements on almost every classified website there is, paid and free, and to date haven't sold anything.

Am I doing it wrong??? Am I picking the wrong products to resell? They do appear as the better sellers on Clickbank.

Where Am I going wrong or is this the norm?

Kudjap or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th September 2006, 01:45 AM   #2
Matt McGee

The company where I work runs a local classified site, and we get dozens of posts just like yours every week -- we delete 'em all because they add no value to the classified listings. I can't imagine you'd have much chance of success with the approach you're taking. You're just throwing links against the wall and hoping some stick.

To my way of thinking, affiliate marketing works best when it's done in conjunction with a quality content offering.

For example, you run a music-related web site with great content and lots of loyal readers, and when appropriate, you encourage those readers to buy the latest CDs on Amazon or wherever.

Or you run a site with great content about books, and you use the Barnes & Noble affiliate program to encourage your readers to shop there for their favorite books.

HTH.

Old 16th September 2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Kudjap or Bust

The classified listings are definitely not deleted, I go back on a regular basis and check on most of them and edit a little to keep them from not going stale.... I do also run a affiliate links from my websites, 1 actually being Amazon, but I guess, like me, people know about Amazon and go to them direct, personally I have Amazon on my favorites list which takes me direct into my account

Old 16th September 2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudjap or Bust View Post
The classified listings are definitely not deleted, I go back on a regular basis and check on most of them and edit a little to keep them from not going stale
I wasn't suggesting yours are being deleted. I was using that as an example of a typical reaction to those kind of posts on classified sites, that's all.

Old 16th September 2006, 08:16 PM   #5
Kudjap or Bust

Positive / helpful responces ONLY would be truly appreciated

Old 16th September 2006, 11:30 PM   #6
jvance
VIP Contributor

I have been involved in affiliate marketing for 3 years, and it does work. However, I tend to think the approach that you are using with classified ads is flawed. I am not sure where you heard of that approach, but I agree with Matt in that one of the best ways to promote other companies' products is to have your website promote them.

Bottom line, it all comes down to traffic (either paid or organic). The sites that you have placed affiliate links (classifieds, or your own website) may not have enough traffic to convert into any affiliate sales. Typically, affiliate conversions are 1-4%, so you can do the math.

No matter what all the "experts" and guys making "100,000 in three months" say, affiliate marketing is a LOT of work. To build a quality site from scratch takes a lot of time and dedication, and success doesn't usually happen in a few weeks.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 12:10 PM   #7
mktgbiz

Ditto what jvance said and add one thing.......

It takes time. You hvae to keep pluggin' away, whether it's affiliate marketing or website marketing. It all takes time.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 07:59 PM   #8
hawkins217

Post Give It More Time

You haven't given yourself enough time yet. With any business, it takes awhile to get off the ground. Also, you might want to take at the products you have chosed to sell. Is there a demand for them?

If interested, you can read below a two-part article I wrote about how to ask 12 very important questions before getting involved with any type of home-based business. This can also include affiiliate marketing.

Hope it helps!

The 12-Question Formula You Must Use When Choosing A Home-Based Business, Part I

There is a 12-step question formula that all home-based business opportunity seekers must ask when investigating business opportunities. As most folks have found out, all that glitters is not gold! There are tons of programs out there that claim to make people rich; that claims it will change lives forever. Are there any home-based opportunities that exist that can meet these claims? Sure, but legitimate ones can be hard to find. To avoid all the scams that abound today, you have to use this 12-question formula to separate the good opportunities from the bad. Better yet, if the answer to half the questions is ?yes?, then you can rest assure you have stumbled onto a red-hot program that has the power to make you lots of money! That said; let?s discover what this 12-question formula is.

Question #1: Are average people getting rich with the work at home opportunity you are looking right now? If only the people at the top are getting rich, avoid the opportunity like the plague!

Question #2: Can the opportunity be started with low cost? Most opportunities fail this question since many that do help people get rich, such as franchises; can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars! The good news is that there are low-cost opportunities that people can get rich with if they do their homework right!

Question #3: Is if possible to make thousands of dollars right away? Most times, the answer is ?no?. True, there are exciting opportunities that average people can become involved in with low cost plus can make them rich. BUT, if studied closely, what usually is the case is that it took folks many years of pain and struggle before it happened. It doesn?t have to be that way. There is a smoother path people can take.

Question #4: Can the work at home opportunity be done from the comfort of your home? If you desire to work at home and can?t find an opportunity that will permit you to do this, keep looking until you do find a good one.

Question #5: Can folks make huge sums of money in their spare time? Yes, there are opportunities out there that will provide you an opportunity to make thousands of dollars without killing yourself! There are folks out there who provide such specialized services that people are willing to pay them thousands of dollars per hour just to consult with them. So, it does and can happen. The key is to create or control a highly profitable products or services that people really badly want that has a top notch and proven marketing strategy. These two ingredients together can cause any home-based business opportunity to explode!

Question #6: Is it possible to make millions of dollars? In order for this to happen, you have to find an opportunity that is proven, rock solid, and have been tested over a long period of time with all the bugs removed. Plus, last but not least, it has to have a powerful marketing system that nobody else has! Find a work at home opportunity like this and you will be years ahead of other business opportunity seekers.

As you can see, these are extremely important question to consider when looking at the many home-based opportunities that are out there today. Stay tuned for the last important 6 steps that will ensure the success of any work at home opportunity.

The 12-Question Formula You Must Use When Choosing A Home-Based Business, Part II

As we discovered in part one of this two article series, there is a 12-step question formula that all home-based business opportunity seekers must ask when investigating business opportunities. We all know that all that glitters is not gold! We want to avoid scams at all costs. We also want to find a work at home opportunity that is legitimate and can bring in significant income. Are there any home-based opportunities that can meet these needs? Sure, but you have to do careful research. If you use this 12-question formula to separate the good opportunities from the bad, and find that the answer is ?yes?, to most of these questions, great! You can rest assure you have stumbled onto a red-hot program that has the power to make you lots of money! That said; let?s discover what the final 6 questions to ask are for this 12-question formula.

#7. Find out if you can make huge sums of money without selling anything. Is this possible? Yes! There are business opportunities out that do not involve selling. This works primarily if the business uses a powerful Direct Response Marketing approach. The beauty of this approach is that it attracts all the right people and turns away the wrong ones. Folks are bought into the home-based business system automatically! Direct Response Marketing also eliminates the biggest objections, educates people about the major advantages of a product or service, and best of all, it makes people want to buy now! Therefore, finding an opportunity like this is crucial.

#8. Discover if the work at home opportunity offers help, support, and guidance from experts with a proven track record of making millions of dollars. This will require some research. It's safe to say that many opportunities will fail miserably in this area. However, if such a home business opportunity is found, your chance of success will be very high.

#9. Check to see if the company offers long-term opportunity. In other words, is the system the company has in place designed to make people money for the next 10, 20, and even 30 years? Avoid opportunities that sound golden, but will lose their glitter very quickly.

#10. Determine whether the home-based business opportunity can produce automatic income. It is useless to become involved in a business opportunity that will take months before any results or income can be seen. Why? People will usually become discouraged and quit if efforts are not rewarded in a timely manner. Avoid opportunities that will take months before any type of cash reward will be seen.

#11. Always ask if the start up is easy. If it will take three months to start up the business, why even become involved?

#12. This could be the most important question. Never forget to ask if there is an exit strategy. This is not being negative at all. On the contrary, it is being smart! Remember, there are no guarantees in life and business; things can and do change. Thus, it is always smart and never negative to have a back up plan or exit strategy.

Starting a business from home is a dream that many people have. However, one does not want to make a decision blindly and without careful thought and consideration. You can't go wrong when using this twelve-step question formula!

hawkins217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Kudjap or Bust

Hi Hawkins217

Excellent articles and advise, I guess I have to give it more time and keep plugin away. It's not as though it's taking up all my time but I do dedicate at least 4 hrs a day.

As for the products, The ones from clickbank are highly rated with a good turnover rate and just happen to coincide with a couple of websites I have for similar products.

As for Clickbank, Is this a quality site for quality products to affiliate with. I do see a lot of clickbank urls in ads around the internet and always wonder if they are making any money for the postee

Old 6th October 2006, 11:22 PM   #10
malenzaa

It can work but you must to do it right way.

malenzaa is offline   Reply With Quote