Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2006, 12:54 PM   #1
ready2fly

Default Ready To Start My Own Business

I am 25 years old and currently pursuing my MBA. I worked full time throughout callege and now I am looking to start my own company. The problem is figuring out what.

I graduated with Marketing and Graphic Design, but I feel that market is too saturated right now (wouldnt work to start a marketing or advertising company). My first job in college was in corporate retail. Then I worked at a start-up cable network. I loved seeing the company go from nothing to a multi-million company. Currently I am working as a marketing director for a financial company (not very exciting). Compared to other people I graduated with, I have come a long way. But, I feel something is missing. I want to start a business myself.

I want to start something new, different and exciting. I have had some ideas along the way, but nothing that I really thought could take off. I am extremely organized and dedicated (working long hours are encouraging to me). I enjoyed working in the fine dining industry through high school, I love marketing and thinking of new ideas for how to better run a business, I enjoy being with people and working hard.

I am curious as to any ideas or suggestions that you have!

ready2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th August 2006, 04:48 PM   #2
mktgbiz

ready2fly-

I hope this is the most important post you ever read.

I'm 44 now and have always, as you do, loved marketing - I just didn't realize it until I was 35. Yep 35.

If you love marketing at the age of 25 then I would quit my job tomorrow and start your own marketing firm the next day. OR, you can wait another 20 years if you like, and say - C*R*A*P!, I should've gone for it the day I stepped out of college.

No, I don't have any college education (at least not the kind they give you diplomas for).

Anyhow the bottom line is this. Most business owners HATE marketing. They'd rather do anything then try and write good things about their business, create spectacular print ads, learn SEO techniques, determine WHERE to advertise, etc, etc, etc.

You and I on the other hand are strange - we LOVE Marketing. We eat, drink and sleep marketing. We get excited about new techniques and angles.

In a recent poll of 610 business owners 37.4% replied MARKETING AND SALES was the toughest challenge faced as a business owner. It was THE #1 response.

Since most business owners HATE marketing they'll pay a pretty penny for someone who can do it right for them.

Find the business owners who are looking for you and get things rolling.......or before you know it - you'll be 44.

Keep us posted!!!

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
jhon25

You've just experienced one of those light-bulb moments when you think you've got a dazzlingly brilliant idea for a business. Possessing the spirit of a true entrepreneur, you've decided to bring your idea to fruition in the form of a new business.
But wait. Before you invest a big chunk of savings into your new business enterprise, you'd be well advised not to jump to any preconceived conclusions about the merits of your prospective business. Remember the Edsel? If seasoned corporate executives can make a spectacular failure like that, then mere everyday entrepreneurs are certainly not immune to errors in judgment.

jhon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 06:27 AM   #4
mktgbiz

Huh? Wait?

Outsiders risk their lives to get into this country just for a "shot" at living free. Just for a "shot" at making it on their own.

I don't know if you're reading these replies ready2fly, but now's the time to take your "shot."

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 08:55 AM   #5
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

There are two kinds of business owners: those that love running a business and those that love doing the business. If you just want to run a business then you should research ideas thoroughly, get your funding and your staff in place, put together a strong business plan, etc. If you find something you love doing and think you can turn it into a successful business of your own, I still suggest you do all of the above. You should also consider finding a business partner to take care of the operation details so you can focus on the doing.

If you're looking for ideas for what kind of business to start you are probably a business runner, but without your own ideas you may not get far. The best entrepreneurs are those with dozens, if not hundreds, of ideas in their head. They pick one or a few at a time and give them a go.

Old 29th August 2006, 11:00 PM   #6
Sam12

Try to get in a field which you really like.
Then work with love and study from those who have succeeded in that field.
sam12
Good luck

Sam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 10:38 PM   #7
mrClen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2fly View Post
I am 25 years old and currently pursuing my MBA. I worked full time throughout callege and now I am looking to start my own company. The problem is figuring out what.

I graduated with Marketing and Graphic Design, but I feel that market is too saturated right now (wouldnt work to start a marketing or advertising company). My first job in college was in corporate retail. Then I worked at a start-up cable network. I loved seeing the company go from nothing to a multi-million company. Currently I am working as a marketing director for a financial company (not very exciting). Compared to other people I graduated with, I have come a long way. But, I feel something is missing. I want to start a business myself.

I want to start something new, different and exciting. I have had some ideas along the way, but nothing that I really thought could take off. I am extremely organized and dedicated (working long hours are encouraging to me). I enjoyed working in the fine dining industry through high school, I love marketing and thinking of new ideas for how to better run a business, I enjoy being with people and working hard.

I am curious as to any ideas or suggestions that you have!

Hi ready2fly I'm Albert, Well being a marketing director is not really as exciting as the name itself but I'm sure you had learned lots of exprienced. Well you could also start your own agency but it would depend what kind of agency would you start and who would be your target clients.

mrClen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 12:34 PM   #8
movnupmom

Default Fallow your heart

Hello ready to fly, Great name by the way. I was a marketting director and Community Relations Cordinator for an Assisted living facility and loved it. A little different from what you do,but same concept. I agree with the fact that not many do love Marketting,and it can be a booming business. Only problem I foresee is there are a lot of marketting companies out there and you would have to Market yourself first and convince prospective clients why you are better than the next guy. I wish you much luck and fallow your heart.

movnupmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 01:30 PM   #9
siteproplus1

Send a message via AIM to siteproplus1 Send a message via Yahoo to siteproplus1
Default Don't think just do

Don't think jsut do. I am stuck in the mode of thinking right now. I need to do. We all have the biggest and nest ideas.......... but what seperates the good from the great is the ability to follow that dream and make it happen.

siteproplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 12:25 AM   #10
lindaruffell

Default do what you love!

Hi !

I think you should always do something you love to do. You love marketing and love coming up with marketing ideas... then i think you should go ahead and open up an advertising agency.

I know there are many players in the market but if you are passionate and ready to work hard, i guess you would be able to create a niche, a market for yourself.

Best of luck! Hope your dreams come true!

lindaruffell is offline   Reply With Quote