Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th August 2007, 10:37 PM   #1
work2bfree

Default Search Engine Submission

Search engines utilize a software, often referred to as a Robot or Spider, which crawls the web in search of new or updated pages to index. They constantly crawl the web until they have indexed every page. Whe submitting your web site, you will onlly be required to enter your URL (web address) and the robot will spider you website and record the full text of every page within you website. It will continue on and follow any external links you may have on your site and eventually index every site on the web.

Although the spiders will eventually find your site, it may take quite some time. Submitting your URL will speed up the process.

When submitting your website to the major search engines, It is highly recommended to manual submit. Many search engines are now penalizing sites using auto-submission programs. It will only take a few minutes at each site.

Google (Better to let Google find you site on their own)
Infoseek
Excite
Lycos
Altavista
WebCrawler
HotBot
AOL Netfind
Jayde
Northern Light
Rex

When you are ready to being listing your site in the directories, announcement and award sites, it is a good idea to create a text file with all of your pertinent information. This will save you a lot of time by enabling you to copy
and paste your information into each form.

Last edited by Logan; 10th August 2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: same topic
work2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th August 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
abdellah2d

thanks i ben loking for a topic like this one

abdellah2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 01:29 PM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Actually submitting your URL to the major engines (Google, Yahoo and MSN), whether manually of automatically is a useless endeavor.

Many of the other engines that were listed in the original post simply show results from the larger engines. Excite for example is more of a meta search engine these days. Alta Vista uses Yahoo. AOL uses Google. Northern Light? That is not even a public search engine anymore... hasn't been for a long time.

The best way to get a new site indexed in the major search engines is to get some links pointing to it from sites that have already been indexed. Directories are good for this. If your site was designed by a web development company, have them link to it from their portfolio or client list (they will most likely do this on their own). You can even submit a press release through one of the online PR sites such as PRWeb announcing your new site. Search engines will then find your site on their own which is their preferred method anyway.

Here is the process I use to get a brand new site indexed and it works every time.

1. Link to site from our own portfolio/client list
2. Add site to directory we own
3. Add site to the following additional directories - GoGuides, JoeAnt, Linketeria, NetInsert, Skaffe, and Web Beacon.

That's it. Most sites are indexed within a week or less.

Old 11th August 2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Crimson Fox

I've had some sites indexed within 24hrs doing what David suggests.

It really is far superior to adding them to individual search engines. The only thing I don't do is submit to the payed directories when I'm doing a small start up site. Ecommerce sites are a different story though.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 08:59 AM   #5
James Schramko

It is worth submitting your sitemap to Google in the webmaster section.

If you need to get indexed fast try making a squidoo lens or posting a couple of blog comments with anchor text.

James Schramko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Crimson Fox

The only reason I see for submitting the sitemap to google is if you don't have interconnecting pages.

I've had sites with and without google sitemaps and it made no noticeable difference.

Old 14th August 2007, 12:40 AM   #7
WebDrops

Thanks work2bfree I guess that was a nice piece of information... while reading this thread a question popped up my mind... I feel that search engines crawl blogs in just 24 hrs while for sites it takes loads of time... is it really true or its just my way of taking it... and if yes can someone please explain me why this is happening...

WebDrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 01:18 AM   #8
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Nice and thanks for sharing.

We submit it manually. But I have a friend who uses softwares for his directory submission and article submission. He doesn't have problem with it.

Old 14th August 2007, 04:22 AM   #9
Crimson Fox

Blogs get crawled more often because of the constantly updated content.

If the search engines realize that your site content is updated often they will visit your site more often. If they see that you haven't updated your site in months then they will return the next time after a longer period. Which can sometimes translate out to months.

Old 16th August 2007, 12:15 PM   #10
BringMeCash.com

Default Submit to 1,000,000 Search Engines Now!

I think it doesn't do any harm to submit to SE's. but the reality is that
you do not need to submit your site to them.

Forget about it.

The search engines will find YOU!

It is better, in my opinion, to work on SEO. It's time better used.

SEO works for sure!

You know, when I started with my online business, I submited my site to some of them. One day I was surfing some of the engines that I never submited to, and found my site almost at the top for a particular frase.

The thing that was surprising was the fact that I never even contacted that SE at all. How that happened? Well, they found me.

Thank you for the advice anyway. If you need some help about SEO or any other topic, or if you just will like to exchange ideas about your online business, please feel free to contact me anytime.
Good Luck!

Last edited by BringMeCash.com; 16th August 2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Too strong. She has good intensions.
BringMeCash.com is offline   Reply With Quote