Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Just for Fun > Chat
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th October 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
TipMe20

Send a message via AIM to TipMe20
Default "Pressed For Time" Franchise...any Thoughts??

I'm considering buying into the Pressed For Time company at 25 years old. I'd be taking a loan to startup, and am just wondering if anyone has ANY thoughts about it, whether from consumer or service provider standpoint. I have no previous business experience, but have about 5 years in the restaurant business and consider myself to be very very good at customer service. Low startup costs, very low monthly maintenance costs, this seems like a pretty decent business for a first time business owner. I'm excited about it, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot online about it. Please respond with any input. Thanks!
-David

TipMe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Peter Bowen

Hi David,

A franchise is worth buying if it offers a real competitive advantage. Do they own some technology or business process that someone else has (think KFC's recipe).

Most domestic service franchises do not offer sufficient competitive advantage to justify their prices. How hard would it be to duplicate what they're doing? Is that worth the franchise fee and the ongoing royalties?

Caveat Emptor

Cheers

Pete

Old 27th October 2008, 11:08 AM   #3
TipMe20

Send a message via AIM to TipMe20

Pete, thanks for taking the time to write. Profit is made by the price cuts negotiated with the dry cleaner, shoe repairer, etc. There is no additional cost for the consumer, it is considered a "free" service. They've been in business for 20-25 years with over 100 other franchises operating. They provide all the business management software, ongoing training and support, and after calling over twenty people on the list of franchisees, every single person told me they love it and are incredibly happy they decided to get into it. Four day work week, holidays off, essentially no overhead (van payment).

If I had ANY experience in business, I would consider trying it out myself. But with only a 30K buy-in, and 6% royalties, as my first business, it seems to be a pretty decent proposition.

I like the reminder service you offer, if I ever make a decision on this, I'll keep you in mind.

TipMe20 is offline   Reply With Quote