Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd April 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
CopyShoppy

Post Would You Participate In Or Hold Copywriting Contests?

What do you think of copywriting contests where the client awards the winning copywriter with a cash prize?

I think it could be a great way for amateur copywriters to break into the industry, and provide professional copywriters with a nice side income ... Where do you stand on this?

CopyShoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd May 2013, 04:00 AM   #2
AdamMBSmith

No way.
If someone wants me top notch work, they can pay for it, not try and tempt me with a prize.

Besides, we all know that competition winners are often selected based on their relationship with the company running the competition... or winners care completely fictitious.

AdamMBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:26 AM   #3
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMBSmith View Post
No way.
If someone wants me top notch work, they can pay for it, not try and tempt me with a prize.

Besides, we all know that competition winners are often selected based on their relationship with the company running the competition... or winners care completely fictitious.
Someone is quite cynical about the authenticity of competitions held by companies. I thought that relatives and family members are bared from competing in competitions held by many companies.

Old 7th June 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
BeBizsmart
VIP Contributor

If it's for amateurs not a bad idea.After all,the amateur copywriter can use this as reference later on.If they emerge among the top contestants,I see no reason why this shouldn't count and help them gain an upper hand when they seek paid jobs.For professionals however,it gets a bit tricky.

Old 25th June 2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Mark Andrews

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyShoppy View Post
What do you think of copywriting contests where the client awards the winning copywriter with a cash prize?

I think it could be a great way for amateur copywriters to break into the industry, and provide professional copywriters with a nice side income ... Where do you stand on this?
A terrible idea by any stretch of the imagination.

Allow me to put to you a question or two...

As a business owner and I'm going to assume you're not a copywriter, by what specific metric are you in a position to judge whether or not a piece of copywriting supplied to you is up to scratch or not?

How on earth can you even begin to judge what constitutes the best copy supplied, if first of all you do not understand copywriting (salesmanship-in-print) inside out full stop?

So, first you need to test every piece of copywriting sent to you.

Next, you'll need to send an equal amount of the same identical high quality traffic (eyeballs) to each piece submitted.

Now, you'll need to decide for what length of time or traffic numbers will give you the proof you need to determine the performance (conversion ratio) of one piece over another. Side question: Do you have the budget in place to send a bare minimum 2,500 eyeballs to each copywriters submission?

Notwithstanding the fact any proven copywriter who has been in this game for a good number of years, myself included, why on earth would I want to write for you for on spec, for what amounts to free?

When fees commanded are already massively above wet behind the ears newbies just starting out, with more work than I can reasonably handle coming in constantly - why would I want to waste my valuable time and energy putting upwards of 40 hours research into your product niche, not to mention writing out the sales copy itself, all on the premise my sales copy may outperform the competition?

Why would I want to participate in this kind of fruitless exercise?

It goes both ways you see. I'm asking myself in this situation, "What is in this for me?"

Credibility? Already got it.

Recognition? Already got it.

More high paying clients? Got them too.

So what have you got that I do not already have?

What offer are you willing to put down on the table to make my time working with you worth my while?

What offer are you willing to slap down to get me really excited and highly passionate about wortking for you? Note: Hundreds won't cut it. Mid four figures and we're getting there.

After all is said and done, in the time taken working for you (for what amounts to a lottery) I could very easily put a product of my own together. Launch it with my own sales copy and easily pull in many thousands of dollars in the same amount of time (if not less) and certainly for a lot less risk.

The only people who would be interested in such an idea as the one you're proposing are new freelance copywriters looking for more gigs to add to their portfolio.

Trouble is of course, they, not knowing all of the in's and outs of copywriting to begin with, they're not going to be in any position to submit to you a piece of high quality converting salesmanship-in-print. This sub-standard sales copy, honestly for your business - what good is it going to do you?

Metaphorical question: Would you seriously allow a greenhorn rookie to put a new roof on your home? Think about it.

Look! Forget starting a copywriting competition. If you really believe in your product and it certainly does have tremendous benefit to your intended target market, the best thing you can do is to really invest in those skills which you yourself are most lacking in.

Employing the services of a top copywriter with proven results is not an expense you could well do without, it is undoubtedly an incredible investment in your future.

A decent copywriter (someone who has been in the game for many years) your financial risk is minimized when you employ them. Give this person $5,000+ and chances are, you'll receive 10x, 50x, 100 times plus back your initial investment.

Now tell me this doesn't represent excellent value for money?

Or would you rather use someone's piece of sales copy supplied from a completely unknown entity, from someone with no experience in the game at all who more likely will supply a sales letter which sales are highly likely to bomb completely?

If this is how you're thinking in terms of economizing / ROI, seriously...

...adjust your approach to market. It's skewed.

Smoking hot,

Mark Andrews

Mark Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
platnumcn

I see a lot of such competition getting held in different forum with the person winning it getting an amount to take home and the rest just rubs their hand, as the main terms is that if you apply for such contests, the content once submitted will not be yours.

This can be a good way for a webmaster to generate a lot of content for his/her website without making much of an investment and many in fact do.

It is unethical, from where I look at it, but having such contests is profitable.

Old 29th July 2013, 07:58 AM   #7
LGCG

I understand that a copywriting contest might not be worth it if you are established, but if you're a student or just starting out it might be worthwhile.

Old 9th January 2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Elmira Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyShoppy View Post

This isn't a "prize". It's you fishing for lots of samples to present to your client, who hired you to do the job for them. And then you paying the writer whose piece was chosen a percentage of what your client paid you for the job.