Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th June 2013, 08:11 AM   #11
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

I'm always confused on how grammar changes over time. It seems English today is being compromised. I could be wrong, but I see a lot of using such examples.

I find "who" more appropriate than "that" for people.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th June 2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Mark Andrews

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark Andrews

Often you'll find the word 'that' can be deleted from many sentences altogether without it affecting adversely the meaning of the sentence in question.

Many professional copywriters (myself included) one of our pet hates is using the word 'that' full stop. It is such an ugly word which all too commonly seems to be used far too much today by many people who ought to really know better.

As for other more general grammatical mistakes, I say not to worry about this too much depending on the sales / promotional piece you're writing for. Us copywriters, more especially long form direct response mail order letter writers, we all often break every grammar rule in the book to get the point across.

Perfect grammar isn't so important as actually driving home, communicating the benefits of the offer to the intended target market. Copywriting isn't actually about perfect grammar, what it is about is connecting emotionally with the person the offer is most suited to.

Indeed in some cases (not all), incorrect grammar can help you to come across with a little more believability. Everyone is human afterall and will make mistakes every now and then. Such is human nature. Completely understandable.

Of course, if you're in any doubt about the use of perfect grammar and you know this isn't your number one skill, simply employ the services of a proofreader to polish up the advertisement in question upon completion.

Smoking hot,

Mark Andrews

Mark Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 05:00 PM   #13
Elmira Nancy

Yes, WHO is the correct way.

Old 7th February 2014, 09:34 AM   #14
Carrie Minton

I noticed that many have used that even if they're referring to things. Although, I believe in some cases, "that" is acceptable when used to refer a person, yet, "who" is still more preferable to use to avoid longer discussions. LOL!