Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Stratis

Send a message via Skype™ to Stratis

Default New Business? Things To Consider.

People will tell you many things you should consider when starting a new business and while most will make sense, you need to think smart and decide what will make not only the most sense, but also financial sense. As you very well know, starting a business is very rewarding but also very challenging. Below are some of the things I believe should be considered when starting a new business.

A Business Website
This is probably the single most important element of your business, why? Because it holds everything there is to know about you and your goods and/or services. You don't need to shell out a ton of money for a decent site either. Wordpress makes things easy for a beginner with basically a plug and play platform. Take the time needed to set things up properly including your domain and hosting options as well as the content you would like the public to see. One thing you do want to keep in mind is whether or not your site is mobile friendly. With mobile search surpassing desktop search for the first time in history, it will benefit you to look at creating a site that is responsive, that means a site the is able to be viewed on both desktops and mobile devices.

Google My Business
Formerly Google places, Google My Business is a suite of different offerings from map placements to customer reviews. The benefit to Google My Business is that it focuses on local, which is becoming the main search functionality today. Because Google tends to put these listings first on their search page it would help to provide as much information and detail as possible about your business. If you are a brick and mortar business, you need this. If you operate out of your house, you need this. If you operate online, this will help.

Social Media
While most will tell you social media is easy and free, you need to consider the time that is required to do things properly. I have met with many businesses who think they are doing things right, but don't see the return and so figure it's a waste of time. The first thing to remember is that social media IS NOT a sales tool, but a branding tool that will help spread the word and help you connect directly to your target market. Ask your friends to help promote you by giving you a shout out on their network, Tweet some interesting articles or pictures that relate to your business so you can start to gain a following. Remember, social media is about being social and so it does take time and effort to get to where you want to go, but the rewards are very much worth it. The key though is to research how to effectively run a proper BUSINESS social media strategy because there is a right way and a not so right way with this.

Offline Marketing
There are many things you can do offline to help promote your business from flyers to outdoor billboards. A lot of people will think that they have to do heavy advertising locally in order to make a name for themselves, and while sometimes that is true, it is better to think smart. Are there opportunities to partner with existing businesses? Would door to door flyers work best to get the word out? Maybe you have a bakery and you would like to have a fresh bread on Saturday special (I would be the first one at your door step!) The thing here is to think outside of the box and get creative. Go online and see what some local businesses in other parts of the country have done successfully that you can mimic. If you have a little more to spend, perhaps little giveaways and contests would help, or a community bbq. As you can see, the sky really is the limit, but think wisely. You don't have to do things all at once. If the goal is to get people in the door in hopes that your business yields a positive experience, then word of mouth will follow.

As you know, there are lots to consider when starting a business, but it takes customers to carry you forward. Do the small but important things first then move on to the next. Set goals with dates and move towards them so you can keep to your plan. You don't have to do everything all at once.

Stratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th September 2014, 06:59 AM   #2
macgren

What about online marketing i.e. SEO? Do you think that a website can stand out without creating any back links? I guess the answer is a big NO. For gaining the top position in SERPs, we cannot just rely on Social Media or Google listing. For a new start up or an old one, SEO is a must.

macgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 08:00 AM   #3
CoolHandCol

I agree about SEO. You can have the best website in the world and a wonderful product but if you can't be found .........

CoolHandCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Smallbizwebsite

Send a message via Skype™ to Smallbizwebsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgren View Post
What about online marketing i.e. SEO? Do you think that a website can stand out without creating any back links? I guess the answer is a big NO. For gaining the top position in SERPs, we cannot just rely on Social Media or Google listing. For a new start up or an old one, SEO is a must.
Online marketing isn't just SEO...Online marketing also includes what the OP mentioned (Google My Business and social media).

A website CAN in fact stand out without creating any backlinks because online marketing also includes so many other strategies outside of SEO...such as email marketing, social media like facebook, twitter and promoting videos on youtube, PPC, article syndication, etc, etc.

SEO can be important for a new business but I suggest NOT relying solely on being at the top of SERPs for business profitability!

Smallbizwebsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 01:11 PM   #5
gmrwebteam

Yes, SEO is essential to the website marketing initiative which focuses upon making the business site more appealing. Back links are also essential to proper site promotion and a site that has relevant incoming links pointed to the site gains status for most search engines.

Old 9th September 2014, 09:09 AM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Smallbizwebsite, you are SO correct. Any business that relies solely on SEO for their business success is just asking for trouble. A solid business marketing plan always includes multiple marketing channels.

--Torka

Old 10th September 2014, 04:16 AM   #7
Julia Patterson

I totally agree! In addition Payment gateway service is an important element to consider. Reliable payment services encourage customers to make purchases.

Julia Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 03:35 AM   #8
James Gordon

SEO is one of the most important process for the successful business. You should also include this point in your post.

James Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 01:07 AM   #9
georgehewitt

Nice ideas. Yep, Social Media is a good portal businesses as well. Yet we should not forget that offline marketing also plays an important role.

georgehewitt is offline   Reply With Quote