Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th July 2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Bo_Manry

The best promotion you can do is getting in a new neighborhood, and going above and beyond expectations. So many people go through a lot of lawn care businesses trying to find a good one. If you do a crazy good job on the first house in a neighborhood, the news will spread like wildfire. Discounts for referrals also is a good idea.

Bo_Manry is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th July 2012, 03:54 AM   #12
jenifer123

There are many ways to grow a business, but nothing is more powerful then giving your service away or at least offering it at 50% off for your first cut. It gets you in the door to speak with them and understand their true needs. If you believe in your business so much that they just have to try it to like it, it can work for you. And by this way you can promote your business.

jenifer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 10:38 PM   #13
rreger

I recommend Craigslist as well. It works great for local businesses like yours.

rreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 04:07 PM   #14
LawnCare

Looks like the post is a little bit old but I thought I would provide my two cents on this subject.

All the replies to the thread have valid points and some advertising techniques work better then others.

Ways to promote your lawn cutting business:

Classified ads: As some people have mentioned work. You can place a coupon code specific to each ad so you can track your results.

Direct mail: Flyers, door hangers and postcards can provide business along with branding of your company name. Remember to provide special codes to track and anything over 2 percent return is really good.

Yard Signs: Asking your current clients if you can put up a yard sign while your mowing their lawns. This will allow the traffic that passes to view your sign while your working.

Vehicle signage: Could be as simple as putting magnetic signs on your vehicle or spending more money to have vinyl lettering and graphics installed with your business info and advertising.

Website: I am little biased in this area of expertise because I work in the digital marketing industry. I strongly feel that all business need to have some type of web presence whether that be with their own website or Facebook page.

A well designed website can provide your business with a professional presence and offer you a place to showcase your work and knowledge of lawn care.

Not to mention you can easily track web visitors information by you using an analytic program (Google offers a free one). This information can be extremely valuable for future marketing and advertising campaigns.

I'm sure there other methods that work well for marketing but these are the ones that I could think of off the top of my head.

Old 7th December 2013, 11:23 PM   #15
Glad Lawn Care

There are a ton of marketing ideas you can do to attract new customers.

One simple idea is to help a local neighbor who is elderly or a veteran, improve their property. Where you would also send out a press release to the local newspaper.

Another is to help fix up a local park. Get the local newspaper involved and ask them to print a story about what you are trying to do and a time and date when volunteers can show up. Or how they can reach you to find out more about how they can help.

You can also host a bbq at a customer's house with the customer, after you install a new hardscape for the local neighbors, so you get to show off your work.

I don't want to take the credit for coming up with these ideas. A lot of these ideas I got from reading this lawn care business marketing book on the topic.

You can leave flyers in the local stores that have bulletin boards.

Posting ads on craigslist is a free and easy way to attract new customers as well.

Lastly, always ask your customers for referrals. If they know you are trying to grow your business and you do a good job and make them happy, then they will do what ever they can to get you new customers.

Glad Lawn Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 07:45 AM   #16
twhansbury

Reach out to real-estate brokers and work with them. As they are selling homes need touchup or a fresh cut on a house prior to open house events, You can be the service provider to the home when the new buyers move.

Old 9th December 2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Qmind

You might think about doing a per street or neighborhood discount and suggest a lower rate if there are 5 or so houses on one street that go with your service.

Not sure how of often you would provide your service for a single house in a month but you could also offer a loyal discount if they use your service 3 or 4 times a month.

Discounts are tricky because customers come to expect a certain price for services rendered and any increase might have a negative effect. Make sure you weigh your cost and plan accordingly.

Last edited by Qmind; 9th December 2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Typo
Qmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 09:41 AM   #18
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

I agree with this:

Quote:
If you do a crazy good job on the first house in a neighborhood, the news will spread like wildfire.
When people are delighted, they tend to share that information. If they are merely satisfied, they may not be motivated to help. I'd say over-deliver and it improves your chances of expanding in that neighborhood.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 07:34 AM   #19
himmaanjoy

Work more on the referral program. Entice referrers to refer more. I agree with The Diamond Pen.

himmaanjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 12:20 AM   #20
Gaurav36

Now a days Sms marketing is playing an effective role in business promotions

Gaurav36 is offline   Reply With Quote