Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd December 2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Rose.fire

Smile SEO Mistakes

Hi All,
I would like to share with you all.

10 SEO Mistakes:

* Targetting the wrong keywords
* Ignoring the Title tag
* A Flash website without a html alternative
* JavaScript Menus
* Lack of consistency and maintenance
* Concentrating too much on meta tags
* Using only Images for Headings
* Ignoring URLs
* Backlink spamming
* Lack of keywords in the content

Hope this might help you.....

Please keep adding the list of SEO mistakes.

Last edited by Rose.fire; 23rd December 2008 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Rose.fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:19 PM   #2
2william

That is exactly what I want to avoid! In fact, I donít have any experience in here but I know there are many advantages that I want to take. Iím not that used on these issues and that is why Iíd like to know if there are some help getting my business in here, advices appreciated

2william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 01:01 AM   #3
metrofax

Default And then there's ...

And then there's listening to the wrong people.

I know so many people who complain about listening to the wrong people or basing their research on the wrong forums. A big error I'd have to list would be not doing your research and simply taking the advice of forum posters or bloggers without actually finding our if they know what the heck they're talking about.

metrofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 02:29 AM   #4
Tom321

exactly !!!! Search engines use the sites that link to your site as a vote of importance and relevancy. You should attempt to get good relevant links for other important web sites. The best way to get good natural incoming links is to have good content. Try to offer useful information and services, give other site owners a reason to links to you.

Last edited by Tom321; 26th December 2008 at 04:44 AM.
Tom321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 02:37 AM   #5
johnpaint

Study and learn all you can because you never know when your going to run across that piece of information that will make all the difference in your website.

Also make sure you list on your website all the areas of the town/cities/places your want to be seen in.Sometimes that is all it take to come up on the first page of a certain city or town where there is not much competition.

johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 05:47 AM   #6
veronica

I agree. Those are the common SEO mistakes. Using the right keyword in good content is very important.

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Keyword spamming the text on the site to the point that the business sounds unprofessional. Once you have visitors, you need to keep them!

Old 24th December 2008, 06:26 PM   #8
enigmaticxx

Those are all true -- and keyword overkill is a mistake, too, though less common. I think they say that about 5% of the content on a site is supposed to consist of the keywords, but if 80% of the words are keywords, then the search engines will probably notice that something's a little off.

enigmaticxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 03:26 AM   #9
Yugal Kishore

These are very useful points in respect of seo

Yugal Kishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 06:12 PM   #10
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I think they say that about 5% of the content on a site is supposed to consist of the keywords, but if 80% of the words are keywords, then the search engines will probably notice that something's a little off.
The point is, it's not all about the search engines. If a visitor lands on your site and 80% of the text consists of keywords, the visitor will notice that something is off and leave. The goal of SEO is not just to increase traffic, but to convert traffic to sales. For that to happen, the site has to present itself as professional.