Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th November 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Trevor Moyer

Default Email Marketing - Bad Or Good?

I have a major negative outlook on the concept of email marketing. Obviously, this is a result of many years of getting spammed. Can someone explain to me a little bit about email marketing and how it is NOT negative marketing?

I am not saying it is, I just don't know a whole lot about it.

What companies are out there providing email marketing services?

Trevor Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Kurt Henninger

Well, let me say it depends on what kind of email marketing you are talking about.

The most productive way to market via email is to have your own list of subscribers to market to.

Those that have opted into your list have given you permission to send them emails...... It is the most productive form of marketing in my opinion, as you get a chance to provide value and build trust with those on your list.

If you just send offer after offer to your list, that IS spam......

Kurt Henninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Dave Charest

Hi Trevor,

Quote:
Can someone explain to me a little bit about email marketing and how it is NOT negative marketing?
How is email marketing NOT negative marketing?
Email marketing is a cost effective way to provide educational content of value to those on your list. If you consistently provide information of high value you are able to promote your expertise and keep yourself top of mind when it comes time for a potential customer to use your services. Or if they come across someone who may need your services.

If the content is useful, you're also able to promote your products and services without it being a negative.

When is email marketing a NEGATIVE?
This happens when you only send email that pertains to you or your company. It provides little value to the person receiving it. When you only send these types of messages your email become a negative. People become annoyed with receiving your messages when they contain little value. These messages start to get treated as spam. And have a negative impact on your company.

So useful information that builds a relationship and keeps your products and services top of mind = GOOD.

Irrelevant information with pitch after pitch and nothing of value for the reader = BAD.

Hope this helps.

D.

Dave Charest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 03:10 AM   #4
bdorland

Nice explanation Dave! Let me take this two steps further...ROI Tracking & Cost.

ROI Tracking
When using a bulk e-mail provider (Vertical Response, Constant Contact, Exact Target, just to name a few), your e-mails have a back-end reporting function built in. These statistics (like analytics for a website) can tell you how many people opened your e-mail, who clicked through (or completed a desired action) and who unsubscribed. This is very powerful information and it's very hard to come by with other marketing vehicles (direct mail, advertising, etc.).

Cost
E-mail Marketing is dirt cheap. Even a paid subscription to one of the above-mentioned services is a small fraction of the cost of traditional marketing/advertising vehicles. Earlier today I sent out a professionally designed e-mail invitation for one of my client's Christmas parties. The e-mail was sent through vertical response to 400 people. It cost my client $6. Four hundred printed invitations and postage would have cost $500 easy.

Trevor...I hope this helps to get the spammy taste out of your mouth...

bdorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:57 AM   #5
adeptsupport

Advantages:

E-mail marketing (on the Internet) is popular with companies for several reasons:

* A mailing list provides the ability to distribute information to a wide range of specific, potential customers at a relatively low cost.
* Compared to other media investments such as direct mail or printed newsletters, e-mail is less expensive.
* An exact return on investment can be tracked ("track to basket") and has proven to be high when done properly. E-mail marketing is often reported as second only to search marketing as the most effective online marketing tactic.[2]
* The delivery time for an e-mail message is short (i.e., seconds or minutes) as compared to a mailed advertisement (i.e., one or more days).
* An advertiser is able to "push" the message to its audience, as opposed to website-based advertising, which relies on a customer to visit that website.
* E-mail messages are easy to track. An advertiser can track users via autoresponders, web bugs, bounce messages, unsubscribe requests, read receipts, click-throughs, etc. These mechanisms can be used to measure open rates, positive or negative responses, and to correlate sales with marketing.
* Advertisers can generate repeat business affordably and automatically.
* Advertisers can reach substantial numbers of e-mail subscribers who have opted in (i.e., consented) to receive e-mail communications on subjects of interest to them.[3]
* Over half of Internet users check or send e-mail on a typical day.[4]
* Specific types of interaction with messages can trigger (1) other messages to be delivered automatically, or (2) other events, such as updating the profile of the recipient to indicate a specific interest category.

Outsource some of the job, patch other outsourcing company to do the marketing for you. Outsourcing can save any business a lot of money. Some major providers offer rates as as low as $10 per hour - and don't forget that there is no worker's comp when you outsource.
What's more, you get more versatility, and better quality results.

adeptsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 05:30 AM   #6
veronica

It is easy, but really difficult. It's not negative at all if you follow the some tips.It will definitely help in sales lead generation.

Build a Targeted Mailing List
Work with a Clean, Targeted Database
Adopt a Strategy of Persistence

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Email marketing can literally be money on demand for the list owner.When looking at the person signing up on the list, there has to be a lot of value,useful information that solves a problem.No one would willingly sign up for a list just to get spammed everyday with sales material.

However, you will not pay your bills by sending out just useful material.You must find a balance.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 11:05 AM   #8
viper_one
VIP Contributor

it is unfortunate that we have to refer to email marketing to make a sale, however, if i post the sweetest deal over an online classified, nobody will respond

so, i have to ethically beg for their email address, you know, i have opted-in and subscribed to a lot of seller's email lists --- and frankly, they send me self-approved spam

the only difference between general spam (my email address spread around without my permission) and opt-in i've approved by visiting a site etc., is that the opt-in usually offers something that i find interesting, like a update about a given web technology etc.

list creation is not easy cakework, but it sure beats waiting for the phone to ring

people are really hooked on emails,chat,e-technology, especially younger people (non-conservatives) with money to spend

Old 16th December 2008, 05:47 PM   #9
2william

Lightbulb better services than email mktg! sure

I think there are better services than marketing by email. At the beginning I guess it worked, but now, in my particular case and I’m sure as lots of internet users, I just delete all that seems offers, actually it is getting easier to know when we’ve this kind of messages in the inbox. Fortunately, my email account separates real info and spam. That’s why I’m sure marketing by mail must be improved. Do you guys have some ideas?
will

2william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 06:37 PM   #10
enigmaticxx

Well, e-mail marketing is a nuisance if it's just a listing of products, prices, and "Buy me!" buttons. However, e-mails that offer interesting or useful information to the receivers are a lot less repulsive and a lot more helpful. In your e-mails, play up the advantages of buying/using the product or service you offer. (In other words, tell your recipient all the wonderful and innovative ways that he/she will benefit by using/buying your stuff.)

Just... don't make it sound like shameless advertisement. Even if it is.

enigmaticxx is offline   Reply With Quote