Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th December 2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Addidas

Default Want To Start A Web Based Business!

Hello everybody, I want to have my own business on the web, like I find so many these days making good money online. I plan to set up an online store that will be dealing in sale of computer accessories and will later on expand my reach if I find some good profits in that. So, what are the important points to keep in mind while doing this? Waiting for your replies……

Addidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th December 2008, 02:35 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

IMO, the main point to keep in mind is: how are you going to get people to your online store?

Store software is getting easier to work with, and it's really not that hard to set up a professional-looking, reasonably easy to use store. Those kinds of things just aren't the major differentiators they used to be, IMHO.

You can have the easiest to use webstore on the planet, the best prices ever and the most complete selection the world has ever known. But if you don't have "foot traffic", it won't make a bit of difference.

The computer accessory business is fairly competitive online, and there are several big players already in the field. This is not to say you can't succeed, particularly if you focus on a niche of some kind within that market and set about making yourself the "go to person" for that particular accessory or class of accessories (for instance, you could be the "mouse guy" or the "Thumb drive guru" or the "drawing tablet maven" or whatever.

But whatever you do, whether you go broad or deep, you need to have a realistic marketing and traffic-driving plan.

My

--Torka

Old 19th December 2008, 03:14 PM   #3
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Quote:
So, what are the important points to keep in mind while doing this
Ditto Torka - the biggest consideration is competition! Setting up the store is not a huge expense, but marketing can be.

Old 24th December 2008, 12:06 PM   #4
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Happy Holiday,

I am lost a little as to why so many people are interested, however they have to remember the online rate of success is about the same as real bricks biz!

I have never sold over the net as internet other than ebay, but I have some insight as to how to do it well.

You might want to consider creating small review sites that take a few hours to prepare, then you can position them on search engines through search engine optimization --- you might need to look some of these suggestions up before you start.

Whether you decide in one store or multiple review sites (of products) the future for either of these ventures looks dimmer than before Christmas holiday. So you'll need to target merchandise that is not related to consumer whims, unless you jump in to the latest release of a new fad.

For a cheap but relible helper for doing the search sale process (review sites), I would suggest that you get a copy of www.sneaky-system.com

because it is a proven system, however, I really believe that the creator of the package already understands his fate, that's why he is releasing his how-to because the economy won't be as good as before Christmas.

I think any body trying to assemble a store of merchandise now are going to face real challenges, but it will be a learning experience that's for sure.

Probably a better solution is CPA marketing and lead generation work for big merchandise companies.

Last edited by viper_one; 24th December 2008 at 12:11 PM.
viper_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 07:01 PM   #5
enigmaticxx

Well, some important points to keep in mind are:

- website hosting
- website maintenance
- website traffic
- competitive pricing
- product sources
- marketing

If you're new to online business, you might want to search the web to find the best deals on website hosting. I use Hostmonster myself, which costs about $5.99 per month for a total of about seventy-something dollars per year; it offers unlimited bandwidth and disk space. It also comes with a free product cart, I think, though I've never used it.

You should also read up on the technicalities of running a website -- design, SEO optimization, traffic, etc. -- or you could hire some staff to do it for you. (It would be cheaper to do it yourself, though. ;D)

But the most obvious aspects to keep in mind, of course, are the products and their prices. I have a website with reviews on wholesale and dropship product sources, and if you think that could help, the link is in my signature.

Last edited by enigmaticxx; 24th December 2008 at 07:03 PM.
enigmaticxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:21 PM   #6
PCIMerch

I think whenever starting any new ecommerce store you have to consider 4 primary points:

Ecommerce Software/Hosting
Accepting Payment Online
Website Design
Website Marketing

I am one that tends to prefer turnkey ecommerce solutions as opposed to hosting with an ecommerce option. Typically turnkey solutions will cost more (hosting is $5/month, turnkey solutions $50-$100), but I think you will have better success since you are new. You'll have technical support to help guide you through how to use the ecommerce software. Also these systems are easier to use usually than the typical hosting platform solutions such as OSCommerce.

Also taking payments online needs to be a high priority. I suggest not just using PayPal since sites that only offer PayPal payments don't typically look legitimate. Accepting credit cards through your site with a merchant account can help you close more sales because you look legitimate and people don't have to leave your site to pay you (a big conversion killer).

To really compete, especially in your competitive field, marketing and design should be a top priority too. You will need to be creative on how to get people to your site, and then you will need to make sure your site is on par with others in your industry so people feel confident in who they are making a purchase with.

I hope this helps!!

PCIMerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 02:56 PM   #7
justgowithit

Smile

Quote:
like I find so many these days making good money online.
... I also see many losing good money

My advice is plan, plan, plan and then plan some more.

Old 5th January 2009, 03:43 PM   #8
lunartcorp

To find a good business online you might want to consider looking for a Pain Reliever product. That means, something that people are looking for because they have an issue to resolve.

In addition, check the searches and competition of that product using Google KeyWord Analisys Tool to determine what are the possibilities of success.

You can either sell your own product, resell it or dropship it.

You can choose to have your own website or just promote an affiliate using their website so you do not need to worry about hosting and coding.

Hope this helps

Old 21st January 2009, 10:24 PM   #9
rdonovan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCIMerch View Post
I think whenever starting any new ecommerce store you have to consider 4 primary points:

Ecommerce Software/Hosting
Accepting Payment Online
Website Design
Website Marketing

I am one that tends to prefer turnkey ecommerce solutions as opposed to hosting with an ecommerce option. Typically turnkey solutions will cost more (hosting is $5/month, turnkey solutions $50-$100), but I think you will have better success since you are new. You'll have technical support to help guide you through how to use the ecommerce software. Also these systems are easier to use usually than the typical hosting platform solutions such as OSCommerce.

Also taking payments online needs to be a high priority. I suggest not just using PayPal since sites that only offer PayPal payments don't typically look legitimate. Accepting credit cards through your site with a merchant account can help you close more sales because you look legitimate and people don't have to leave your site to pay you (a big conversion killer).

To really compete, especially in your competitive field, marketing and design should be a top priority too. You will need to be creative on how to get people to your site, and then you will need to make sure your site is on par with others in your industry so people feel confident in who they are making a purchase with.

I hope this helps!!

Do you have any suggestions for payment processing companies other than PayPal?

rdonovan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Addidas

Default thanks

Hi, thanks to you all for your nice replies and your important time that you have putted for me. I'm really grateful of you all.

Thanks a lot!

Addidas is offline   Reply With Quote