Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th June 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
1LOW8TE

Send a message via AIM to 1LOW8TE
Default Questions about Incorporating

I plan on Incorporating my Lawn Service in the near future. My question is this. I'm currently rasing money for start-up capitol. I want to start buying equipment. Do I have to wait to claim this on my taxes? Or should I wait until I Incorporate first? I will not show any profit this year because I will not start service until next year.

P.S. This is a start-up business

Thanks

1LOW8TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th June 2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Congrats on taking that step forward!!

Its a tough question to advise someone on, as always its best to consult an accountant. I'm a bit confused by your question, as i'm not clear if you want to claim this expense on your personal taxes now or business taxes down the road. Regardless of that, I think an accountant can let you know how you can move forward now while not negatively impacting your tax situation. For example, my understanding is that since your biz doesn't exist yet it isn't very relevant now. You can purchase equipment personally, then when the business is established what you contribute to the start up (i.e. equipment previously purchased) is factored in to the startup based on your contributions to it. You can't claim on your personal and business both though - one or the other.

Old 10th June 2006, 02:44 AM   #3
foxdmatt

Your choice of incorporation also matters on the taxation. If you are going to incorporate as an S corp, then you will have flow thru taxation which means the business losses you plan to incur the first year will be written off against any other earnings you have for that year. If you use a C corp, then your company will be taxed alone, without the flow thru option. Ask your accountant and lawyer about your choices of incorporation and the possible tax benefits of each form.

foxdmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 05:26 AM   #4
1LOW8TE

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I know I cannot claim taxes on both personal and business. If I buy the equipment now, can I still claim them on my business taxes next year? But the kicker is this: My business won't exist until next year. I will not be claiming these on my personal taxes. Thanks for the info.

Old 10th June 2006, 10:27 AM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Based on what foxdmatt commented, evidently you need to also consider the type of corporation you form. Please don't go by our word alone on this, but do some due diligence and confirm things.

I personally think you will be okay, without having issues ... but if you are spending money a good accountant will be worth their costs.

My understanding of this has to do with the flow of ownership of the equipment.

1) You buy from store and own personally
2) You start corp
3) The ownership of the equip is transferred from you to corp

When ownership of the equip is transferred to the corp, it becomes an expense applied against the earnings you will be making by using the equip. Hope we are helping, more than confusing you.

Old 10th June 2006, 02:09 PM   #6
1LOW8TE

Thanks for all of the input. After two weeks of considering what structure I wanted to establish I've decided to just become a sole owner. Easier on Taxes and start-up. If the business grows like I plan then I will incorporate down the road.

Thanks