Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > eBay & Other Auctions & Marketplaces
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th June 2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Zafar Ahmed

Default Selling On Ebay

Do you think selling physical products outside your country is risky? I have seen many people chargebacks or claim that they have not get or they have got a damage products and chargeback on paypal.

What do you suggest?

Zafar Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th June 2008, 02:55 PM   #2
googaagoo.co.uk

I've been ebaying with my husband for quite some time, he's an auctioneer by trade, and we've often bought things and so to far away. I haven't personally had that many problems but as with all items you send you run that risk weather you are sending to UK or USA......GoodLuck!

googaagoo.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
serendipity

Its a simple case of risk versus reward. How many products would it take you to sell to cover he money you would loose if your product was lost or damaged. For me it was far to much with some of my products so decided against it. Especially if you have to ship twice.

serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 09:45 PM   #4
XWS Ryan

Send a message via AIM to XWS Ryan

I have seen many people being scammed and having issues with people who they sell to abroad. It could go either way.

XWS Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 02:31 AM   #5
banzaibert

I stick on selling my products locally.... Scared that might happen to me then I'll end up spending shipping twice plus I have to replace the product.

banzaibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 12:49 AM   #6
WhoWee

It depends mostly on the product being sold, shipping/handling and insurance strategies.

WhoWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:28 AM   #7
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWee View Post
It depends mostly on the product being sold, shipping/handling and insurance strategies.
Would agree, if you are selling anything of value then use UPS, FedEx etc with a signature. Pretty easy to back up your claim it has been delivered and Paypal etc are willing to work with you on these.....

Simon

jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 07:03 PM   #8
georgia_peach

Default Ebay and overseas

That is a sticky situation. Those people overseas are very clever about get products for free. I have had numerous auctions ruined because they would bid and send fake information like they paid. I wouldn't sell overseas unless you can afford the loss. Good Luck to You!!

Last edited by georgia_peach; 6th March 2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: misspelling
georgia_peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Nos Sol

Selling abroad can be risky but if incorporated correctly can increase your sales and revenue.

Below are some tips.

• Don’t sell high price items e.g. HD TV, Cell phones, Laptops etc.
• Consider the buyer rating – Put a clause in your listing that only buyers that meet a particular requirement will be eligible for purchasing or bidding on the item.
• Requirements to consider are; the period the sub is on eBay, feedback; the type of items the buyer previously purchased.

I hope this helps

Nos-sol

Nos Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 03:50 PM   #10
viper_one
VIP Contributor

It depends on how much you are willing to risk, if you product is profitable then I would say that you could self insure.

If you are taking peanuts from your sales then I would say that expanding a slim profit base is risky.

Check out international payments and insurance processes first, then sit at you Excel spreadsheet and start figuring how much pain you can bare. Run scenerios out.

Have fun.