Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th June 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbreeden View Post
Can you share some analytics? Did most of that come from search or referrals?
According to Wordpress it looks like it mostly came from Facebook. I suppose someone must have shared it and then that started sending traffic my way.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st June 2013, 07:21 AM   #12
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

If anyone's still interested, I figured out what caused the big spike in page views.

My blog post was shared by the Facebook page of Robert Pollard (Guided by Voices).

Not sure if it was actually him or someone he's hired or just a big GBVs fan, but either way the page has 10,000 likes. So the real lesson here- Write something about a famous person and get them to share it!

Old 25th December 2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Yomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatprecisionE View Post
If anyone's still interested, I figured out what caused the big spike in page views.

My blog post was shared by the Facebook page of Robert Pollard (Guided by Voices).

Not sure if it was actually him or someone he's hired or just a big GBVs fan, but either way the page has 10,000 likes. So the real lesson here- Write something about a famous person and get them to share it!
I would even go a step further. If you know about a famous musician that is going to release an Album or going to perform at a concert in your area, you can write about it on your blog. Get it indexed by Google and promote it. That should send a bump up in traffic as well.

Timing is everything when looking for those traffic spikes from search or social media.

Yomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 02:22 PM   #14
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomi View Post
I would even go a step further. If you know about a famous musician that is going to release an Album or going to perform at a concert in your area, you can write about it on your blog. Get it indexed by Google and promote it. That should send a bump up in traffic as well.

Timing is everything when looking for those traffic spikes from search or social media.
I think one of the biggest things I learned (and I'm a little embarrassed to admit it took me a while to figure out) is that you need to promote your work. Simply adding a post to a blog no one visits won't do anything for you. You need to use social bookmarking sites, reach out to your social networks, talk to bloggers in your niche etc.

Old 7th January 2014, 10:19 AM   #15
BeBizsmart
VIP Contributor

Good points. Tried linkbaiting yet? It's a very powerful form of marketing since its viral in nature. If your linkbait is unique and very interesting it will be shared by many people on social media sites. What this does is start a chain reaction that will not only give you that 1,000 visitors today, but also go on to get numerous backlinks to your site without doing nothing much. Tale of killing the proverbial two birds with one stone, eh?

Old 7th January 2014, 03:32 PM   #16
alteron

You should create linkbait content- then 1k visitors will be normal for your site!

alteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 11:22 AM   #17
jayvi

Well done. Your posts might be something there. I generally found that the only way to grab people's attention is to first introduce my posts in the most appropriate way. And secondly, you need to fashion that post appealing for reading purposes. Write about something few know about. It's never enough just to write what you are passionate about, because chances are there are only rock hiders that share your passions.

jayvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 05:15 AM   #18
mindfires

Send a message via Skype™ to mindfires

Firstly, congrats!

I always feel that, blogs are a great way to share information. And, if the information is first hand then, you will definitely get massive traffic. Also if the topic is good and the content informative you are assured of getting numerous hits. Hence, it is always better to create unique content and share in blog rather than sharing repetitive content.

mindfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 07:19 PM   #19
Taviuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatprecisionE View Post
I had something interesting happen on my blog the other day. This is my personal blog, not a business one, but I think the takeaways are still relevant.

I like to write about music, movies, comic books etc. pretty much anything that interests me. To celebrate the start of June, I put together a list of trivia and fun facts about some of the greatest albums released in June. The article took less than an hour to write and post. I shared it once on StumbleUpon, then went to bed.

Well to my surprise, the post had received well over 1,500 views in one day! This is coming from a website that would get maybe 5 or fewer views a day.
Now granted, this was a post focused on a general topic like music, but what can we learn from this that we can apply to our business blogs?

1. Be Timely: A post that celebrates great albums released in June, that is posted on June 1st, certainly helps in grabbing people's attention. Try to write posts that relate to an upcoming event or holiday.
2. Did You Know...: We see it all the time on sites like Buzzfeed and Cracked. People love to learn something while they are entertained. While you might not think you have an interesting product or service, there may be some interesting history that a potential customer would like to read about.
3. Share Your Posts: All I did was share my post once on StumbleUpon, but you need to be sharing your content through as many networks as possible.

What other takeaways can be gleaned from this experience?

Very cool on the response!

I appreciate the input - my own blog is business based, but I just need to find something - like you did - that really catches the eye!

Again - well done!

Taviuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 06:16 AM   #20
Karry

Updating blog within fix period with quality content is the key of successful blog. Google loves mostly updated blog with valuable information.

Karry is offline   Reply With Quote