Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th March 2007, 02:03 AM   #11
mapbooks4u
VIP Contributor

Hi mktstudent!

Everybody has given you wonderful tips!

When I came up with my name, I received some ridicule from friends because they thought it was too "kitchey", (not sure exactly what that means), but I decided to make a go of it and I am sooo glad I did!

Customers know instantly what I do!

Diana

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th March 2007, 07:43 PM   #12
DigitalDoodler

Send a message via AIM to DigitalDoodler

I always get frustrated when coming up with website names, because I know that I want to find a .com with the exact same domain. So many are taken, and even if you think of a really unique one, odds are it's already been registered.

My suggestion would be to think of the topic your site is about, and then add on another word to the end. Sometimes it doesn't even have to directly relate to the content. For examples of this and to get help thinking of better names, check out www.nameboy.com . I've been using them for the last couple of years, and even if you don't find a name directly through them, it'll definitely get you thinking. You should also try www.rhymezone.com to generate words that rhyme with a word you want to use in your domain, or www.synonym.com to find alternatives to the word you want to use. I use all three of these sites in hopes of becoming more creative with my domain name thought process.

Good luck!

DigitalDoodler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 11:21 PM   #13
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Think about aquiring any unregistered domain names that are similar enough to yours to be confused or typed commonly by mistake, and forward these to your domain.

For instance, llbeam forwards to llbean and for J Jill which is jjill, j-jill forwards to jjill (I wonder why I thought of two clothes retailers as examples)

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 06:53 AM   #14
DigitalDoodler

Send a message via AIM to DigitalDoodler

And if you're really torn between two different names, just go ahead and get both. Domain names are very cheap investments, and you don't want to waste any time deciding between two when there's a chance they might be snatched up by somebody else.

DigitalDoodler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 11:37 PM   #15
fdw13

Use godaddy... they suggest names for you if they are already taken.

fdw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 11:39 PM   #16
fdw13

It seems I can't add a URL yet... but try this out:

domainsbot [dot] com

fdw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 01:42 AM   #17
Vipdev

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktstudent View Post
does anyone have any tips on what to focus on when thinking of a web site name? please feel free to give me tips to concentrate on. thanks
1. It is fair to assume that if you want to buy a Domain Name it is because you intend to use it as part of your overall communications strategy; email, e-sales or solution hosting. The Internet is a complicated network made up of a multiplicity of elements, all of which have your domain name at the heart of it as the key to your business online.

2. Domain name is part of branding. And positioning.

3. Domain name should reflect the nature of the site.

4. It should be easy to pronounce and remember.

5. It should not use a long URL with acronyms, easily misspelled words, numbers or hyphens.

Vipdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 07:12 PM   #18
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Default Some ideas for naming a web site

I used to be pretty conventional in naming my web sites. My first site, for my CPA firm, I justed named using my name, www.stephenlnelson.com. And that seemed pretty reasonable at the time (a decade or so ago).

Now, though, I think you need to use keywords in your domain name. (At the very least, I should have tagged my domain name with the three letters, cpa.)

Here's why. The keywords in your domain name will help tremendously with your search engine marketing. For example, at my most recent site, I'm selling do-it-yourself incorporation kits for all fifty states (or I will be shortly). So I'd love to have a domain name that uses the word incorporation or corporation. Those URLs, predictably, are gone to people smarter and/or faster than me.

So, sadly, are some other pretty high traffic related phrases like:

incorporation kits
corporation kits
easy incorporation
fast incorporation

What I did in response was name my site "fast easy incorporation kits"

Note that this helps with my SEO in two powerful ways when I get links. First, if someone only provides the exact URL (as shown below), the search engines can still parse the URL and see the keywords.

http://www.fasteasyincorporationkits.com

And if I get lucky with a friendly linker or can control the anchor text, I get nice keyword rich anchor text, as in:

Fast Easy Incorporation Kits

To put this in terms of how you might do this, I would think about what you want to sell and pick one of the obvious high traffic keywords. Say you're selling, e.g., candles. You know candles should be in your domain name.

Next, I'd use one of the search keyword statistics tools like WordTracker to learn which adjectives or phrases people commonly combine with candles. E.g.,

wickless
discount
scented
beeswax

and then I'd build some clever combinations like

scented wickless candles
discount scented candles
wickless beeswax candles

and so on.

Obviously, you wont' be able to complete with candles.com. But you should be able to carve off a nice profitable slice of their traffic using the approach I describe above.

Last edited by SeattleCPA; 30th April 2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typos
SeattleCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 03:35 AM   #19
jillybeans

Unfortunately you may find, as I did, that all of those are gone. So I decided to make it personal. I have an online New Age Shop and it seemed impossible to come up with a name until I put "Your" before it! I hope you'll come visit and join the Birthday Club!
jillybeans

jillybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 11:54 PM   #20
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

I know some people think this is silly, but I think you can and should build a name that uses keywords in the URL. E.g., my CPA firm web site is http://www.stephenlnelson.com. That was what people did at the time. But I would have been smart to include the phrase "cpa" in there someplace...