Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th March 2007, 01:29 AM   #11
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west

One thing I do agree with is that yahoo, is not a good international online store front. (just my opinion)

http://www.azattacks.com
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th March 2007, 02:54 PM   #12
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm not sure how StoresOnline offers much different from several other services (most notably Ken Evoy's Site Build It!). And from what I can tell, SBI! (at $300 a year) is a lot less expensive...

My

--Torka

Old 16th March 2007, 05:40 PM   #13
pete
VIP Contributor

We offer SohoLaunch sitebuilder with our hosting service totally free. It is part of the Fantastico package that comes with most cPanel servers.

One thing we do that goes a bit beyond the usual is offer the entire SohoLaunch package, including the shopping cart and other optional (pay for) modules.

I'm not a fan of site builders, but totally free is pretty good if you are going to use one.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2007, 08:15 AM   #14
CreativelyBelle

See I haven't been to those sort of seminars before but I have been to those by government business development agencies and they are a very impressive benchmark to compare against (their aim is to build strong and successful businesses to contribute to the community via employment, profit and taxes. A different aim to someone selling a product).

I have my questions written out and ready for tomorrow so we'll see how they go with sharing the answers.

I'm ex-corporate and have seen both sides of the fence so that's made me somewhat cynical anyway about the sales process. Plus the rah rah hard sell technique fails really heavily in Australia so there's protection there anyway! (Have you read "Wombat Selling" by Michael Hewitt-Gleeson?)

Well I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your care and comments.

Cheers
Belinda

CreativelyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 06:38 AM   #15
CreativelyBelle

Well I went off to it and found it an interesting process. I didn't sign up for their 6 website package but did find some of there notes and marketing ideas interesting and useful.

I have a cPanel with my CreativelyBelle.com site but don't think I get the most out of it because it isn't as easy to use as it could be (or I wish it to be). I feel like it requires a lot of knowledge to go in there and use it effectively. I'm sure there's lot of really useful tools in there but I don't know about them, introduced to them or know how to use them.

Something I did find interesting from the Stores Online seminar is it seems like they took on board all that bad press from 2002 - 2004 and improved their systems and business technique as the tutorials and instructions are part of the deal and are lengthy. I know businesses are capable of going through serious difficulties and having to choose between failure and fixing the problems to survive and prosper. I think they chose to fix the problems.

Smiles
Belinda

Old 21st March 2007, 09:34 AM   #16
Logan
Administrator

Makes me shiver a bit with concerns as well, but ... Belinda please realize we do hope the best for you. I wouldn't anticipate a slew of agreement from others, as referenced there are less expensive ways (and more importantly better ways) to approach a scenario like yours.

I was honestly very suprised to hear anyones positive experiences with the services and I am glad mapbooks4u shared their own experiences as it seems they have had some success. I would reread that post several times and if you do proceed try to learn as much from their post and reviewing their site as possible to see what has been working well for them - and realize the amount of effort and work they personally have devoted. I realize your product line is different, and that would be a major point of concern to me why you might have very different experiences from them. When briefly reviewing your site, I am unsure from a front end what benefits going to this new store system would provide ... as your current site 'looks' similar or along the lines of mapbooks4u. But I do notice that your own site doesn't even have some basic things like unique title tags.... and also an overstuffed home page title tag. So whether you do the work needed on your current site, or a new one with storesonline might not so much be the solution as actually doing the work needed regardless of the platform. If the only way you think you can get there is thru paying storesonline that cost, then so be it ... but there are other less expensive and better routes based on my brief review and the concerns expressed by others.

On a side note to clarify ...

Quote:
I didn't sign up for their 6 website package
Are you saying that they are offering to sell (inexperienced) people 6 new web sites to get started out? If so, I think that alone reinforces others concerns that have already been expressed.... as they may have changed their tune - but that doesn't mean it is a 'good' tune. hope it helps and good to have you aboard! I hope we can continue to follow your progress as you proceed.

Old 21st March 2007, 12:52 PM   #17
pete
VIP Contributor

Well, at least they did not pick you up by your heels and shake all the money from you!

When someone orders hosting from me, one of the first thing I do is provide them with a link to about 30 videos devoted just to cPanel. They are in a passworded are tied into clients member center, so I can't give you link.

But there are such things out there, ask you hosting service about them.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 08:25 PM   #18
CreativelyBelle

Hey there,

Yes, they are trying to sell 6 site packages and I found that idea to be concerning because of the effort involved to make things happen. Their arguement is for the benefits of diversified income and I understand the value in that but getting a quick benefit from your outlay is challenging.

I went to the seminar to learn things and that I did, including appropriate lengths for title tags and description tags so I've been making changes to my current site with that.

I also learnt about Reverse Search Key Word tools including the basic (and free) Overture one: http://inventory.overture.com/ The Stores Online one started as this one and they've added to it with result returns of about 300 items with links to Google, Yahoo, MSN, ASK and eBay and this looked really fun. I saw value in that and their Key Word report tool that emails back comparative results and links. I use a key word tool but just a basic and free one online.

I wasn't looking to take my current site over to them, I was considering using their services for a new online business. I've built Creatively Belle very organically and processively over quite a while with a learn as you go method. This has resulted in some cumbersome areas and features (like meta tags) and I thought a more guided approach could be worthwhile to explore.

I want to have income for a range of websites and I want a process to make this easier and faster than my slow learning and development experience with my first business. I may need to create that process myself so I am getting out there and learning more.

But I did find their seminar useful and interesting. I don't get the complaints about hard selling, yes, they do that but we're all adults who are capable of making decisions for ourselves. I do find it concerning their full package of 6 sites, expensive merchant facility and tool kit but we each have our own personal responsibility that comes with our free societies. I think there would be a higher rate of failure than success for that package because of what it takes to make it happen but that is true for small business start ups as well.

Anyway, I'm off to find ways to build traffic! Thanks for all your help, I have enjoyed this discussion and the ideas and care shown.

I hope we all have heaps of wonderful success with our online endeavours!

Cheers
Belinda

Creatively Belle