Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Security
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th May 2006, 03:06 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Make Your Computer Immune To Viruses

Willie Reynolds gives advice in defending our computers against viruses.

"The first rule of defense in keeping out harmful computer viruses is to avoid opening attachments from unfamiliar e-mail addresses. This is the most common way that a virus developing miscreant will lull the unsuspecting into downloading a computer-crashing program onto their personal system."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ty/005054.html

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th June 2006, 07:37 PM   #2
MrScott21

Cool Virus protection

Now most venders are combining the virus protection along with spyware and spam protection into one product. They are also including software firewalls. The one I like is from Panda Software. It is called Panda Platinum 2006 Internet Security. I highly recommend not running this software on old machines. This software suite will keep your system clean but it needs to use resources to do its job!

Other AV software that I would recommend include Trend-Micro. I'm not a fan of McAfee or Nortons. They miss things that the others don't.

If you are looking for a great Anti-Spyware product I would go take a look at CouterSpy.

MrScott21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 08:29 PM   #3
TRaef

Default The easiest way to limit the affect of viruses...

The easiest way to limit the affect of malware is to use a user account with "Limited" rights.

Think about it, if the user you're logged in as can't install software or modify the registry, neither can the malware.

I won't get into how to modify access rights on the registry as you could really mess up your system, but just by operating normally as a user with limited rights, you can drastically reduce the amount of damage these miscreants can do.

Go to Control Panel, then User Accounts. Add a new user called "User". Assign "Limited" rights to this account. Whenever you start Windows, select this user for your normal operations.

Create another user called "Admin" or "Boss". Give this user administrator rights. If you need to install software, logoff and select the Admin user. Then go logoff again and login as "User".

I know it's a pain, but so is getting infected and giving the malware administrator rights.

Just an easy way to limit the amount of damage malware can do to your system. We need every method possible.

Hopefully this free advice is worth more than what you paid for it.

TRaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Ribosi

Or, you could just install Linux and be done with it.

Businesses spend thousands on malware mitigation and recovery, often only because Windows happened to be the operating system that was installed on their computer when they bought it.

While Linux does have problems supporting some printers and doesn't run all of your Windows-specific applications, quite a bit of cold, hard cash and even more precious time (both system uptime and the variety that you spend resolving issues) can be saved by buying compliant hardware and running Linux on both your servers and your workstations. In fact, the total cost of ownership for a Windows network averages around 3 times the cost of operating a comparable Linux network. In regard to Windows applications, much of this has a Linux counterpart - and some Windows applications can even be run on Linux.

The question is, what's more important to your business: A stable, reliable system that never crashes due to software issues and is practically impervious to viruses, or to be able to play games through Yahoo! Instant Messenger?

Ribosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 09:43 PM   #5
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

As of now, I have an anti-virus and an anti-spyware. True, there are other anti-virus that can't detect other viruses.

Old 11th October 2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribosi View Post
Or, you could just install Linux and be done with it.
Ditto.

For those of you who think Linux is too geeky or nuts and bolts, let me tell you it's come an incredibly long way, even just over the last couple of years. Mainstream computer vendors are starting to take notice, for example:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

...where Ubuntu is a particular flavor ("distribution") of Linux.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 10:23 PM   #7
LCGoldman

I like the FREE version of Grisoft's AVG Anti-Virus Program.

I also use the FREE versions of Zone Alarm's Firewall; And to eliminate spyware, LavaSoft's Ad-Aware, and Spybot Search and Destroy.

LCGoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 07:00 PM   #8
dorothydot

My MacBook is pretty good to use, too. I highly recommend Apples!

dorothydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 05:07 PM   #9
bellapria

I have to agree with the comment about apples. My husband has a mac and has yet to have security issues

bellapria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 06:53 AM   #10
veronica

Make back-up copies of important documents or files and store them on separate diskettes. Making backups will also protect your information against accidental file deletion, diskette failure, and other damage.

Which anti virus you think is the best ?

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote