Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Security
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th November 2009, 05:03 AM   #1
Moore123

Default CAPTCHA: Use It Or Not?

Is it always necessary to use CAPTCHA for entering the system? When is it necessary to type CAPTCHA?

Moore123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th November 2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Sas123

I think, it is necessary. At least to make sure that your visitor isn’t a bot. The CAPTCHA technology is used mainly in the following situations:
1) during a new user’s registration
2) during the process of recovering the lost password
3) after the second unsuccessful attempt to enter a login and a password and to be authorized in the system

Old 12th November 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
gomziwms45

i don't think its necessary all the time, but yes it is preferred in areas which require a lot of security. If you are using for commercial purposes then you may not need to use captcha

gomziwms45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

A CAPTCHA during initial registration is not too onerous. But if I'm asked to fill one out every time I want to log in to a site, it becomes a bigger issue. Sas123's list of situations in which to use a CAPTCHA is pretty reasonable, I'd say.

CAPTCHAs are not infallable, so some bots may still get through. On the other hand, they can frustrate some visitors, so you could be losing registrations or sales by requiring one.

The only ways to know whether your use of a CAPTCHA is appropriate and not too annoying is to ask your visitors or to test. To test, run some visitors through a sign up form that includes the CAPTCHA, and the rest through a form that does not include it. Check if the increase in human sign-ups offsets the increase in bots.

(For testing, you could use a free tool like Google Website Optimizer if you don't already have a testing tool or if your budget is tight.)

--Torka

Old 25th January 2010, 05:40 AM   #5
orlando456

some times it would be necessary.

orlando456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 11:36 AM   #6
SanWay
VIP Contributor

If you care about your customers, you have to use it.

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 10:59 AM   #7
MrGamma

It's fairly important if you're getting any significant traffic or if you've been targeted by spam bots for one reason or another.

It's fairly important to test the captcha you choose. I come across websites all the time which are broken. Not necessarily just from casual use of the site, more like testing the website to find it broken.

Jmo... but it's better to get some spam than to cut off contact with those trying to use your site.

MrGamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 08:00 AM   #8
debtrelief

You should keep captcha in forms like registration etc. not necessary to keep it for entering system, you can if you want to but not necessary.

debtrelief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 11:06 PM   #9
zharlene

I would say it's just better to use it. Although I must say, stick to the ones that 'normal' people with 'normal' vision can type up.

Some are extremely annoying because the letters/numbers are so illegible, only people with extremely high IQs can decipher. Stick to the ones that simple filter out spam bots.

zharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 06:25 PM   #10
cliffdodger

Personally I find contextual anti spam questions to be just as effective and far less annoying. Generate a good list of questions and answers to cycle through or a slightly dynamic question system and you're good. Bots just aren't designed to answer those - too many possibilities. (as long as you stay away from 'what year is it', what's 2+5, etc)

Whereas the technology to read captcha's is quite similar to OCR technology. So spammers can go contribute to an open source OCR project and get help on their captcha reading software under the guise of getting help with OCR on books that have scribbles and other distortions over the ink.

cliffdodger is offline   Reply With Quote