Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th August 2007, 06:23 PM   #1
ckeck

Default Parent Company? DBA? Help!

I have a situation...I used to own a small computer consulting business and I had to close up shop a few years ago for multiple reasons (non financial).

Since then I have started a new company dealing with some real estate transactions I have done. I have spent a lot of money forming this company into an LLC and a major amount of time investment building this companies credit history, etc...

I just recently "re-opened" my computer consulting business and was thinking about setting this company up as an "owned" company of company X (my new business entity). I would like to rely on this as a parent company to help when seeking credit for my old computer company.

How could I achieve this?
Any advantages/disadvantages?
Any tax issues I would need to be aware of?

Also...would l just be able to set up a DBA between the two companies?

Thanks for all the help...I'm deep in uncharted territory

ckeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th August 2007, 09:35 AM   #2
PiperTax

I'm not a lawyer, but to the best of my knowledge, you could have your LLC file a DBA for your computer business.

Assuming you're the sole owner of each of them, this won't be much different for tax purposes (Federal at least) than if you simply had an LLC for each. They'll both simply be reported as Schedule C income (or loss if that's the case, but let's hope not :-).

One thing to consider: I don't know if your computer consulting business could potentially have any liability issues in terms of if a service you provide ends up going badly. If so, the plaintiff would be able to come after your established LLC's assets, not just the assets related to the computer business.

That said, it's a total non-issue if you're the only person providing the services. If you are (and something were to go wrong), the plaintiff would be able to come after you personally regardless of how you decide to set it up.

Whichever way you decide to go, best of luck to you!

PiperTax is offline   Reply With Quote