Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2010, 06:54 PM   #1
morproh

Default Current Market Conditions In The Tradeshow Business

Just out of curiousity what are you all finding in terms of attendance at local/regional/national tradeshows you are attending?

I've gone to a few in the last month or so that would have been packed a few years ago to find very few people. Probably the biggest change beyond attendance was that nothing is given away at most of these now.

morproh is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th April 2010, 02:03 PM   #2
sdk1988
VIP Contributor

Default Exhibit Smarter Not Less Often

Many companies are opting to send less staff to trade shows as exhibitors, many companies are also sending more of the decision makers on the attendee side, making it seem less crowded or attended. Trade Shows are still a viable option and should not be eliminated from marketing budgets. It is very easy to see the value of trade shows by using event management software, that way you can cut down on wasted time and get better projections of which shows are most effective.

sdk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 01:37 PM   #3
SmallBizRox

As a trade show vendor, we see people are still exhibiting at trade shows, but as said above, they are being smarter about how they do it. VALUE is definately the word of the day.
From what I have read, there was a drop in attendance last year and early this year, and several shows went under, but things are picking up now, and the future is good.

SmallBizRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
DBeavers

Default Trade shows

I just exhibited at my first trade show in a couple years. It was a Small Business Expo hosted along with a Golf Tournament - both at the local golf course in Orange, TX. The combo tournament/expo was put together by the local Chamber of Commerce, with the idea that the golfers would visit the expo, boosting the overall attendance.

Granted, this is a small market expo, with the city having a population of just 20K and 450 business members.

I joined the Chamber in order to be able to exhibit and introduce my business to this market - just 25 miles West of my home office.

The attendance was over 200 total, with well over 100 participating in all the door prizes. Each visitor had to get stickers from the 28 booths in order to be eligible for the grand prize.

I gained at least a dozen good leads for my promotional advertising business, with half coming from other exhibitors.

I used a 3 gallon Bubba Keg for the door prize entries and included it as part of my prize.

http://www.norwood.com/product/45369...84+oz.+Kooler/

Several people were interested in the Keg, and I hope to sell a number of small orders of 12 to 24 pieces for at least a couple of the new clients I expect to add to my business.

I'll do some follow up Tuesday, with personal visits, dropping off catalogs and another sample product. The Chamber is having a ribbon cutting for me at their office, since my home office is outside their market. Another follow up 2 to 3 weeks later and then a month later should be enough to add at least 5 or 6 clients.

With the higher costs for travel presently, and attendance still lagging at some of the medium and large shows, exhibitors may still be reluctant to participate in as many as they have in the past.

Dennis

Old 11th May 2010, 12:23 PM   #5
SmallBizRox

Hey Dennis,
Sounds like a good show! Thanks for taking the time to write such a long post about it. Did the winner of the keg get it empty, or filled?

SmallBizRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 03:10 AM   #6
DBeavers

Default Door prize

She won the keg (empty), along with a nice Leed's padfolio ($30 value), an executive Roller Ball Pen (Value $15) and a $25 gift card to a local Mexican restaurant - over $100 in merchandise .

And today, I used 2 more kegs as door prizes at Chamber of Commerce small group functions.

The "WOW" factor on these kegs is outstanding - See Norwood.com 384 oz. Bubba Keg. List price $48.60 on clearance price of $14.99 for the blue and black kegs.

Dennis

Old 7th June 2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Matt Nixon

I have found that the overall attendance has decreased but the quality of potential leads has stayed the same or increased. Many of my customers are having very good shows, especially if they have an effective design. Most companies are trying to cut costs so they are sending fewer buyers to shows. Also many exhibitors are trying to save money so they are using their budget for giveaways toward other options that could bring more potential clients to their booth like pre-show marketing.

Matt Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 05:38 AM   #8
aarkid

Here's a well written and HOPEFUL article :

Exhibitions See Striking Rebound from 2009 Lows http://ht.ly/1VreE

Is it good news for the exhibitions industry? let's hope so.

aarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 11:29 AM   #9
tradeshowdesign

Default A Sharp Increase from 2009

I've heard that most trade show companies have spoken of a 10-20% increase in business from 2009, so you would think that must mean that more people are attending trade shows in 2010. Everyone was so worried about the economy last year that they cut their marketing budgets.I think we will continue to see increases in trade show attendance and events over the next couple years.

tradeshowdesign is offline   Reply With Quote