Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th August 2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Devon

Default Many Domains For One Site?

I have three keyword rich domains and two catchy domains...is it wise to point them all at the same page or site...or better to just use one for all in the way of being SEO friendly?

Devon

Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

My opinion is that it is best to use one for all. I would go with the best domain without regard to seo, as the keywords in the domain are not as important to me as having the "right name" to properly grow the business.

Old 10th August 2009, 02:54 AM   #3
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Just having keywords in the url would not make any significance impact. It would be better for you if you try your level best to exploit the power of search engine optimization technique which will definitely help you to make a significance impact in the long run. Obviously you can redirect them all to one website if you wish so.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 03:38 AM   #4
sahota

Although I agree in longer run to grow your business properly you just need one domain and need to concentrate your efforts on just that one domain and might be better off redirect rest of domains to this one domain.

But my personal opinion is it don't harm if if you keep 2-3 main keyword rich domains too. I am not sure about others but personally I have found that keyword rich domains still tend to rank quickly and better in Google. So might be concentrate just mainly on one website but still keep other domains, might be link from them to your main domain. As sometime it might help you to RULE a particular key phrase by say getting your main website ranked number 1 and 2 and then other small one -two pages website ranked 3rd and 4th . You will end up getting 60-70% traffic for that phrase.

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 04:18 AM   #5
stephen186

Keyword rich domains will definitely help in rankings. but still i would suggest you use one domain for one thing.

stephen186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 07:26 AM   #6
MRchamps

Buying may domain names and pointing it to a single site is been practiced by many of the webmasters which can lower your serp results.Google gives some weight to the contents in a URL and so the webmasters register a lot of domain names for boosting in their rankings,and if the same content is been used then the search engines detect the duplicate ones.
Its better if you use one for all

Old 11th August 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
birthmarked

Send a message via Yahoo to birthmarked
Default Using Multiple Domains for One Website

Hi, I've been highly advised by my SEO guy not to do this, as there is a potential that Google will penalize you for duplicate content.

birthmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 09:52 AM   #8
BWelford

I don't believe in buying lots of domain names and pointing them all to a single website. Very few people try to guess URLs but are more likely to do Google searches. So work on the best domain and make sure it is high in the rankings.

If you have the other domains, by all means 301 permanently redirect them to your single main domain. However I would seriously question whether you should renew them when that time comes up.

Old 12th August 2009, 07:42 PM   #9
iwebshop

In my opinion pointing more than one domain to the same site, is a waste. Make a blog and point one to that, that promotes your main site for instance.

Phillip

iwebshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 10:54 AM   #10
lunartcorp

We have hear that keywords in a domain is important and some other people say it is not. I would go with only one that impact people mind. I mean, it is related to your site and users can remember it and can write it with no problems.

You can point the rest of the domains to the same website as AddOn domain with redirect, not as Parked Domain.

Parked Domain will make them look like two different websites but Google can consider them as spam when it finds that one is a copy of the other one and penalyze both of them (Google does not recognize it is the same website. It will treat them as two websites so it will be treated as spam).

Regards,

Jose