Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd December 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
BeInnovative

Default When To Approve Blog Comments

I write articles about fitness and nutrition on my blog, and what I've found is that the articles about low back pain and about nutrition get a few comments from other businesses, but if you look at the link that they use for their name, it's clear that they are hoping for a click back to their site so they can sell their wares.

From an SEO perspective, is there a downside to approving these comments?

Here's an example:
alternative treatment for back pain Says:
"I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in publishing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your fanciful writing abilities has urged me to start my own blog now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it."

In this case, 'alternative treatment for back pain' is a link to a backpain medication site.

Thanks!

Elsbeth

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Elsbeth, I'd consider that spam. Here is the reason ... if you take a portion of that text and copy/paste it into google you can see that same text has been used on MANY other websites. Just spam, imo, delete it if it is not genuine. Some times a simple google search is enough to determine if it is spam or not, if that doesn't work then just go by your gut. Would your "real" readers want to read that?

Old 22nd December 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
therawdata

Send a message via AIM to therawdata Send a message via Skype™ to therawdata

Default Beware The Comment!

Elsbeth,

As Logan said, do a google search. If that takes up too much time...deny almost all of them.

From an SEO perspective, that REALLY can damage keyword density, unless your comments are held on a separate page (i.e. "Click Here To Read Comments") That is fine, but if you jam them all on your page you are trying to rank for, it *can* hurt your rankings, but doesn't HAVE to hurt you.

Just use caution.

therawdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 04:17 PM   #4
BeInnovative

Thanks! I will delete them all. It is set up to go to a separate page - or really same page but the comments aren't visible unless you click on comments. But the fact is I'm providing a quality site and want people to have faith in what's there - not get linked over to some crap site that's probably a scam.

Was temporarily blinded by the extra seo potential that I lost site of the big picture.

Thanks again for the input.

Elsbeth

Old 23rd December 2009, 05:31 PM   #5
sundown

Wow read comments here. Thats a great idea. My blog is ranking pretty well. Always looking for more.

sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeInnovative View Post
I write articles about fitness and nutrition on my blog, and what I've found is that the articles about low back pain and about nutrition get a few comments from other businesses, but if you look at the link that they use for their name, it's clear that they are hoping for a click back to their site so they can sell their wares.

From an SEO perspective, is there a downside to approving these comments?

Here's an example:
alternative treatment for back pain Says:
"I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in publishing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your fanciful writing abilities has urged me to start my own blog now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it."

In this case, 'alternative treatment for back pain' is a link to a backpain medication site.

Thanks!

Elsbeth

If I get comments on my blog that has nothing to do with the post, I will not approve them.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 05:17 PM   #7
plusplustutor

Allow them when they are not spam. Give a voice to people that have something relevant to say.

Old 11th January 2010, 07:28 PM   #8
kevin44

From a SEO stand point , If he/ she give good comment you should it. Keep in mind that person read your blog before he / she commented.
you also said that his / her site is related to your blog that is SEO at its best .

Old 19th January 2010, 02:58 AM   #9
dorothykinder

Thats something important here.. As far as my thinking is concerned i would suggest you that you keep that comment on your blog as since who knows the user might have read the blog and expressed his own feelings and you might think in a different way. Its better to give that link as a No-Follow and where in you don't have further problems with these comments.

dorothykinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 10:33 AM   #10
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

I tend to not approve of comments like that that are clearly just there for a link back

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote