Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th June 2009, 12:38 AM   #1
lori_anderson

Default Search Engines Are Not Fair To My Sites

Hello,

I think major search engines like Google.com, Yahoo.com, MSN.com are not fair to my websites. I have some keywords ranked on my Google sitemap on the 14th position. I do not see it nowhere when doing a search on google for that keyword. For the same keyword, I also could not find my site on Yahoo and MSN. I do not know why is that. My sites are over 1 years old. Why Google site map ranked that keyword but can not be found on Google?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks very much for reading.

lori_anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th June 2009, 03:11 AM   #2
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Hi Lori, do you use any other way of tracking your stats? I use a free service called Statcounter (statcounter.com).It has a wide range of different statistics like keyword analysis, recent keyword activity, recent came from and so on...

It shows exactly what query was made to find your website and on what exact URL they landed on your site.When you know this, you can start writing information on these keywords.Your site will rank a lot better.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 03:29 AM   #3
stephen186

yeah Statcounte is good.

I would also suggest you to use google analytics...it is best out of all..

stephen186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 07:39 AM   #4
sahota

Your website is indexed in Google. I think if you build some good links into your website with relevant text and take into consideration on page factors (Title, Description, headings) your website should come to page 1 of google.

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 07:28 AM   #5
john86

What kind of SEO stuffs you appliying on your websites? You can't expect result in short time period. I would suggest to carry on with your SEO stuffs and it may take couple of months to get good result.

john86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 12:30 AM   #6
delstu

The search engines strive to provide the best results for a search. The searcher is looking for something specific. Do you provide what the searcher is looking for?

If the search engines believe you provide relevant, quality information relevant to a search query they will list your site highly. If they find inbound links from related sites they will increase your ranking. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of other factors the search engine use to rank your sites.

SEO is the process of providing users and search engines with a combination of all factors the search engines use to rank your sites.

It all starts with a good keyword research campaign. If you haven't done your keyword research, or you have used a free (haphazard) keyword service you probably need to find winnable keywords.

There is simply too much to cover in a forum post with the little information you provide. Start with learning on-page optimization, then link building, then...

The list seems endless when you are starting out.

delstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:50 AM   #7
bizcard

I think what lori is referring to is ranking not traffic. When you check with a rank checker tool you may find your site rank 14 or something but when doing a search it does not come up. Actually there is a delay when search engines displays the list of websites for the keywords you are targeting.

bizcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
SashaMike

I don't know how can keywords can get ranked on sitemaps?

Yes sitemaps can certainly get your sites get "indexed" and not ranked. For ranking you need consistent link building (even if you achieve your targets).

Regards

SashaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:51 PM   #9
roni

Default re:

yes agreed with sashamike.. wat about backlink??? ,

you can improve ranking by considering the keywords and content.it seems u dont have the quality keywords and content, there are different softwares availabe which can help u, then it comes to content..content of ur site must be unique and updated and also remember there are no shorterm results in seo u have to be patient ,plus get some backlinks from atleat pr=3 sites..! Best of luck..

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:27 PM   #10
chesa7

SEOCentro has a very good tool for monitoring your rank for priority keywords (you can even plug in competitor websites to compare rank).

chesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote