Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th January 2009, 07:31 AM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation How To Write An Effective Forum Signature File

The definition of a signature (sig) file is as follows:

"a little advertisement you write about your business that is automatically attached to every forum post you make."

In essence, a sig file is classified advertisement about your business.
In fact, on most forums your sig file is the only place that you're allowed to promote your business.

In this article, I'm going to show you the correct way to write a sig file.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 18th January 2009 at 07:34 AM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th January 2009, 05:58 AM   #2
George3212

Today promises of "free" information about how to make money
online are not particularly effective. More effective are offers
of "free" software which purports to make money or build a
list for you. Such things are mythical of course - but a law of
copywriting is the more you make it appear that the thing being
offered "just does it for you all by itself" the more eager people
will be to learn more.

ie...
"it just melts off those extra pounds"
"easy money-making system is as simple as sending an email"
"you'll be

George3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George3212 View Post
but a law of copywriting is the more you make it appear that the thing being offered "just does it for you all by itself" the more eager people will be to learn more.
George, I don't know what copywriting books you've been reading, but that's not a copywriting law.

Also, don't promise things you know you can't deliver.

It's lying, and it's dishonest. Don't do it!

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 25th January 2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:40 AM   #4
copywriter

Whoa gentlemen! I can see you're both relatively new around here. We like to give everybody a chance to state their opinions.

While it might not be a "law" of copywriting, it is a well-known fact that consumers respond well to products that make their lives easier.

That doesn't mean you're lying. It means you're making the benefits of the copy known. For instance, the Ronco rotisserie chicken cooker. What's their famous catchphrase? "Set it and forget it!"

Yes, the cooker does all sorts of things: Cooks chicken and ribs, grills steaks and kabobs, bakes potatoes, etc., etc. But what are they drilling in the infomercial viewers? That it's easy and does all the work for you. "Set it and forget it."

It seems as though English might not be your native language, George. I think maybe that's why you didn't quite understand what he was saying, David.

Always assume the best

Old 19th January 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copywriter View Post
While it might not be a "law" of copywriting, it is a well-known fact that consumers respond well to products that make their lives easier.

That doesn't mean you're lying.
Karon, I respect everyone's opinion, and never called anyone a liar.

What I said was if you make a claim that you know isn't true, it's lying. That's a general statement not directed at anyone specifically.

Sometimes with the written word, our tone may come across harsher than intended. That's what happened in this case.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 25th January 2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 6th May 2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Samuel Craig

Right!

Putting your product in the best possible light and focusing the prospect's attention of what it can DO for them is not lying.

If the prduct is a stinker that doesn't really do anything of benefit then lying is the least of your worries...

Samuel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 06:09 AM   #7
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

I recommend a keyword rich one line clickable "ad".

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 12:46 AM   #8
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Do not mind david but I think using signature is solely for the purpose of getting the value of anchor text and obviously the valuable inbound links. Just for an example if I use beautiful web design in stead of website design in my signature, it might be aesthetically good but is entirely against the rules of SEO.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 08:10 AM   #9
copywriter

Actually, most forums set a no follow tag so the links won't pass link popularity. Same goes for most blogs. WordPress defaults to a no follow tag in the comments section. You have to physically go in and turn the no follow off if you want to allow people to get credit for links they leave in blog comments.

I leave the no follow in place on my blog. I don't want people commenting just because they are trying to increase their link pop.

However, you do still get the benefit of people seeing your link or signature and clicking to your site out of interest.

Quote:
if I use beautiful web design in stead of website design in my signature, it might be aesthetically good but is entirely against the rules of SEO.
I don't follow. What are you saying here?

Old 26th June 2009, 12:17 AM   #10
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copywriter View Post
Actually, most forums set a no follow tag so the links won't pass link popularity. Same goes for most blogs. WordPress defaults to a no follow tag in the comments section. You have to physically go in and turn the no follow off if you want to allow people to get credit for links they leave in blog comments.

I leave the no follow in place on my blog. I don't want people commenting just because they are trying to increase their link pop.

However, you do still get the benefit of people seeing your link or signature and clicking to your site out of interest.

I don't follow. What are you saying here?
I just want to say if I like my website with the keyword "Beautiful website" in stead of "website design", I will not be able to get the value of anchor text. This is as simple as that. Catchy signature may help to get targeted traffic but the number is so small that you can ignore them for the sake of anchor text value. I think now you will be able to understand what I have said.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote