Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2008, 03:42 AM   #1
jstonewell

Default Internet Directories & Other Free Marketing Methods

Hi!

What are your experiences about internet directories?

Have they been successful in bringing traffic to your site?
Have they affected your Google page rank?

jstonewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th June 2008, 09:24 AM   #2
corte1

Internet directories are an important part of generating traffic for your website but probably not in the way you might think.

At one time, people used directories as a way of quickly drilling down to interested websites. Nowadays, human edited directories just can't keep up with the automated spiders of the major search engines.

The value of a link from a directory is the inpointing link it provides to your site - not the traffic it provides, which is generally pretty low.

Google and the other major search engines take a look at the number of outside links that point into your site as a way to measure your website "credibility." This is known as Link Popularity.

So yes, it is important to work to get your site listed at various directories. In addition, I also recommend you find themed directories and niche hubs related to the topic of your website. The search engines actually measure the relevance of incoming links and if your links are coming from sites that have no relevance to your website theme, they won't do you any good (and may hurt your rankings.)

corte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:07 AM   #3
caseyturton

Default Here's my list of free directories you can try

Hi:

I agree with the previous poster that directories in and of themself won't open floodgates of traffic to your site. However, using the "you never know where your next customer comes from" theory, it's a good move to include your site in directories and forums like this. Make sure you're not enrolling in a "link farm" that could create ranking issue for you. Also, review the directory before registering. Does it fit your business? Any competitors in there? Do they appear prominent in SERPs (search engine results pages)?

I've compiled a big list of directories, which you can download here. It's free:

http://www.digitalbusinesservices.co...irectories.pdf

Enjoy and Good Luck.

Old 5th July 2008, 05:56 PM   #4
XWS Chris

Send a message via AIM to XWS Chris

These two are pretty much totally right. I'm not sure if I've ever gotten a hit from a directory directly, Xion isn't exactly great for placing on alphabetical listings, but a couple basic laws of internet marketing apply to directories and definitely help. 1) The more links/exposure, the higher chance you have of getting hits 2) search engines love links to your site. As with all things of this nature I only have two things to say it's free and it's easy, so go for it.

Also, thank you Casey for the directories list, gave me a lot of extra directories to submit to.

XWS Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 02:03 PM   #5
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Yeah, it is hard enough to get hits from forums, let alone dead directories. I've found that some directories on the topic that I host my blog, have volunteered my link in their site. The results are weak even though the've provided more than rank and serial number reference to my site. But, I have found that sporadic links are worthwile for traffic generation. If you arn't too worried about what Google thinks of them.

Old 28th July 2008, 08:04 AM   #6
redmascot

Although directories have lost much of its popularity but still it gives our website more visibility ,as far as traffic is concerned i agree that its contribution would be very small.

redmascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 06:44 AM   #7
CirtexHosting

I would like to add in your consideration also article dirrectories and submission to them.
Links from there are really relevant ones + if your article ids good you can hope for the trafic

CirtexHosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Sesimi

Send a message via Skype™ to Sesimi

Directories are good places to increase your back links.
Before you start submitting on mass, not all directories are built a like!
First, take a look at directories that serve your industry, plus find one's that serve your local area.
Check if the page your listing will be on has any page rank or if the links are "nofollowed", and can you use custom anchor text?

Sesimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 02:06 AM   #9
ilexx

Talking List directories are definitely useful for generating one-way links.

Thanks for the list of directories.. I can definitely make use of those.

ilexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 07:04 PM   #10
StephanieCox

You never know where your next website vistor will come from, thanks for the list of directories!

StephanieCox is offline   Reply With Quote