Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th July 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
rycho2000

Default Do Mailing Lists Really Work?

I'm interested in your opinion about this.

I have submitted to many mailing lists, sometimes I have been even forced to get interestng info.
OK - I joined and got what I wanted but I dont want to get e-mails which encourage me to buy next e-book or join

next service ... this frustrate me.

After few such e-mails I stop reading them and most often unsubscribe.
If really want something I will simply search this.

What about you?

rycho2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:36 PM   #2
jrobconsult

It depends on the information sent. If it is a hard sell, I will ignore and unsubscribe. If it is good useful information will read and perhaps buy the product or service down the road.

jrobconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
spookycc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycho2000 View Post
I'm interested in your opinion about this.

I have submitted to many mailing lists, sometimes I have been even forced to get interestng info.
OK - I joined and got what I wanted but I dont want to get e-mails which encourage me to buy next e-book or join

next service ... this frustrate me.

After few such e-mails I stop reading them and most often unsubscribe.
If really want something I will simply search this.

What about you?
Once in awhile, I will join a list that I may stay on for a good length of time. It would need to provide USEFUL information that interests me, though, not just a sales newsletter.

If you decide to USE a newsletter or mailing list to keep in touch with potential leads, you will want to be sure to maintain your list. That's the basic backbone of your company, and your main place to promote your products or services. It takes up a lot of time and money, and you need to keep on top of your list if you want it to generate leads for you.

spookycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
SavingEra

Exactly. The main part of having an email list, (for Internet marketers), is to have an awesome connection so that they eventually will get a few sales from you. In order for them to really do that though, they need to provide useful info. Most of the time, these IMers are just lazy and try to sell you a product every other email. That doesn't work, obviously.

BUT, for other companies, like Brick and Mortar real world businesses, it is different. They don't need to send out emails every other day, just a few times a month with promotions and discounts, coupons, info, etc.. Who do you think makes more money in the end with less work? These people.

When dealing with a list you just have to remember that you are dealing with real people. If you remember that, you will be golden.

Brendan

SavingEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 04:22 AM   #5
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Yes, they work but you must send your subscribers information that is valuable.No point in sending only marketing pitches, thatīs not why they signed up.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 02:26 PM   #6
David Manpower

Talking

I just started an e-mail list myself....

I'm yet to convert any of my subscribers, but I'm hopeful

I think I should concentrate more on providing valuable info, cause I am kind of going after the hard sell.

Thanks!

David Manpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 02:54 PM   #7
annalaurabrown

A few more tips

Offer an actual newsletter or ecourse with the valuable content first in each message and then a P.S. with an offer to buy something at the end. This is much more powerful than just trying to sell off the bat. Also offer content that they cannot get anywhere else such as free reports and videos or a free phone consultation about something.

You can also turn your confirmation page into a sales page and make even more sales.

annalaurabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
WiseInternet

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Manpower View Post
I just started an e-mail list myself....

I'm yet to convert any of my subscribers, but I'm hopeful

I think I should concentrate more on providing valuable info, cause I am kind of going after the hard sell.

Thanks!
I have found 2 things to be the most powerful factors causing subscribers to buy:
  • Build a relationship with your subscribers - don't hard sell them up-front because they will quickly unsubscribe
  • Become the expert in your field - they will come to you first when they need your type of service

...Just my experience.

Calvin Close

WiseInternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 02:23 AM   #9
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

I think quality plays a decisive role in this sphere. If the mail contains something really informative things then I may subscribe for that. But if a mail is just a sale speech then most of us ignore it at any cost. It should be crispy and should have an interesting tag line at any cost.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 10:14 PM   #10
Lentrepot

I think the most important thing when sending out email blasts is to have useful and informative content or it will just be considered junk mail. Make sure the layout isn't too heavy (loaded with graphics), and that content is concise and straight to the point.

Lentrepot is offline   Reply With Quote