Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th April 2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Call Brian

Great post. Definitely stay away from black hat techniques. Also kendvp asked about hidden text a few posts up. Everything I have read says to avoid this.

Call Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st May 2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Tiggerito

Good list, I'll try to add to it...

An old one:

comment spamming: cramming keywords in to html comments. Completely ignored by all the major search engines.

And some extra comments to what you said...

Meta Keywords: Mostly ignored by search engines, especially Google. Is sometimes used by adsense to aid in advert placements.

Duplicate Sites: Search engines are very good now at working out the original author and ignoring all the rest (plagiarists). A 50% original rule is a guideline for determining how much change is needed to make something your own work.

Link Farms: Also gets you associated with a bad crowd, which can have negative effects.

Reciprocal Links: Over exaggerated as a bad thing. Having large link pages to irrelevant website does not help, but related businesses linking to each other cannot be bad. One-way incoming links from relevant quality website are the best, but don't discount the networking effect of link exchanging with associates.

Repetitive Submitting: I never Submit to search engines. Use better techniques to get the search engines to notice you. Have good original content first. Give Google a sitemap via Webmaster tools and work on getting relevant websites to link to you. The rest just happens.

Redirects: The only use of redirect that works with search engines is the 301 (Permanent Redirect) that you use when you have moved a page. Most often this happens when you upgrade your website to a new system. Google states this type of redirect will pass on most of the "link juice" as it re-indexes to the new page.

Alt Text Spamming: Your text here has some copy/paste issue. [Viewers: ignore the first sentence] I've just been researching the alt attribute and accessibility and found that most of us use it incorrectly (article coming out soon). I'm sure search engines detect some forms of alt spamming. e.g. if the file is called spacer.gif! I don't believe the keywords in an alt attribute has a major ranking with regard to other text on a page, so abusing it is a lot of effort for little benefit.

Doorway Pages: Any page optimised for search engines will mean they will send humans to that page. If it is unreadable to humans then it has no point, as they will just leave. Combine it with cloaking and it could work, but that a major black hat technique that can get you black listed.

I like you conclusions. My 2c...

Always design primarily for the human who you wish to benefit from your website (and therefore may buy from you). Spamming goes to waste if this human ends up visiting your website and finds it of no value. Market to your potential customers.

Optimise your website so it conforms to standards that the search engines like, such as accessibility, rss, meta data, xhtml, sitemaps...

Old 8th May 2010, 03:58 PM   #13
cdrx

Trying illegitimate means of SEO isn't worth it. Face it, the guys at Google know a lot more about SEO tactics than the rest of us, and know how to weed out those sites that hurt their serp's.

cdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Call Brian

I have cut back to really just focusing on two things; great content and link-building. I just try to write content that I know my visitors are interested in and find compelling. I have stopped trying to write for the search engines. These days they are smart enough to figure it out.

Call Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 03:08 AM   #15
mofaux

The gentleman on the first page was considering loading the alt tags on his images with "service + city name." As long as those images are related to doing those services in your service areas, you should do it. Using hidden html to increase your keyword density is good SEO practice. As long as your business does the services in the keywords you're targeting, you're good to go. It isn't like you're promoting FreeIpadsForEveryone.com

Also, 301 redirecting is not spam imo. Google does not show search results for 301s, it just passes on the links. If one of your competitors goes out of business, by all means buy their website and redirect it to yours.

mofaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 06:45 AM   #16
ricky028

Simply great!
No doubt it's a useful and informative thread. I bookmarked it.
I agree with you..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrx View Post
Trying illegitimate means of SEO isn't worth it. Face it, the guys at Google know a lot more about SEO tactics than the rest of us, and know how to weed out those sites that hurt their serp's.
Now search engines are much smarter than we think.

Old 15th June 2010, 01:14 PM   #17
Skyline

Thanks for the post good overview of spamming

Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 12:47 PM   #18
vegasseo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendvp View Post
What about hidden text? My business is a service that only deals with people locally. So I was thinking of using the names of all the surrounding cities in my area and putting them into hidden text on my web page. That way when someone enters the name of their town, plus the service they are looking for (I do residential remodeling). The name of that town in hidden text should pick up on that search. I don't see anything wrong with doing that, so I wonder if Google would consider it unethical.

Hidden text and text that is almost hidden (very close in color to your background) is a definate "no-no" and WILL get your site penalized or banned eventually.

What you should do is use the <li> attribute and heading <h1><h2> tags to list the cities/areas you service. This way, you are using SEO best practices and will stay on good terms with all the search engines. Use your CSS stylesheet to adjust font size, color, etc. but make sure you don't hide the text under any circumstances.

vegasseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 11:39 PM   #19
cracker

Great info! Thanks a lot for sharing.

cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 02:19 AM   #20
janicejan

This is really interesting, I've seen several business owners creating mirror sites but only a few of them gets successful, the ratio is like 2 out of 20. So the chances are really low if we try to do dirty tactics to manipulate search engines.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote