Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st July 2014, 04:20 AM   #1
webinse

Default How To Migrate From Magento Go To Magento Community Edition

Bay announced that on February 1, 2015 Magento Go will be shut down. That’s why all online enterprises that are running on Magento Go have to choose the hosted service to move to from current online hosting platform. Magento Community platform will be a good choice for all the Magento Go users.

What advantages will I get if I migrate from Magento Go to Magento Community?

So, let’s talk about specifics and advantages of using Magento Community in details.

1.Fully packaged e-commerce solution.

You will have all advantages and opportunities of Magento, including order management, mobile-optimized website, CMS with WYSWYG editor, shopping cart, etc. Also you will be able to choose extensions that you need. Magento Go has only 16 extensions while Community edition can offer you more than 1500 extensions, just imagine how many opportunities you will get.

2. Built-in SEO and Marketing Tools.

You will have all for the SEO and Marketing policy — social media integration facility, tools for email marketing, also a lot of exclusive features to your taste.

3. Support of the team.

You will have an opportunity to work with the biggest support community, which can help you with anything — from setting your store from the start up to developing some extra features for your store.

4. Magento Go has very strict limitations on themes usage. Only predetermined themes could be used. I would also add limited JS support and no access to code as a minuses of Magento Go edition. And after migration all these limitations will be in the past.

If you want to migrate from Magento Go to Magento Community you need to:

- Archive your data. This is important not only for migration, but for future references and analysis.
- Check if you have access to the domain control panel, with the help of it you will manage your account. Next you need to prepare your DNS record updates and upgrade your DNS server.
- Check your DNS data settings on your “Go Live” date.
- Also you need to hook up a payment provider (for example, PayPal, Amazon Payments, etc.)
- If you could not help yourself with migration from Magento Go please, contact us.

webinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st July 2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Tamira

I agree with webinse that it is worth migrating from Magento Go to Magento Community. I would also mention that both shopping carts same interface as well as back, so that merchants and customers won’t have a confusion while visiting a new store.

Another point is that it will be relatively easy to preserve the same page names and thus SEO structure. Page content and layout will be very similar, so Google will probably find the same keywords and phrases.

Moreover, most of Magento Go extensions can be used in Magento CE. As far as I know cart2cart has announced about a possibility to migrate from Go to CE.
P.S. I would recommend to migrate during summer holiday season, when business activity level decreases rapidly.

Tamira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 03:40 AM   #3
Adam Due

You can find out information to transfer data from Magento to Magento with LitExtension tool. I think it is safe and fast enough for you to migrate all your data, even SEO URL, custom fields or customer password.

Adam Due is offline   Reply With Quote