Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2006, 09:48 AM   #11
EASJennifer

Send a message via AIM to EASJennifer Send a message via Skype™ to EASJennifer

Maybe someone here will be able to elaborate on the rules, but I'd go with WordPress. Simply because I've seen alot of people complaining lately that they wake up one morning, and POOF their blogger blog is gone. If you use WordPress, you're on your own server, you can't lose years worth of work.

EASJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th August 2006, 02:46 PM   #12
QiSoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAviator
Matt, I noticed after the download that it is asking if I have MySQL. I don't have it on my machine, but the hosting site does have it. Will it still work? I don't have any experience in PHP or CSS. I kind of know what they are, but haven't worked with them yet.

Yes it will work as long as your host supports MySQL and PHP which you have indicated it does [at least MySQL-- its a good bet PHP is also supported in this case]. WordPress runs off your server [your host] so it does not matter if you have MySQL and PHP on your local computer.

Q...

Last edited by QiSoftware; 16th August 2006 at 02:51 PM.
QiSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 03:30 PM   #13
dhundee

Send a message via MSN to dhundee Send a message via Yahoo to dhundee

I would often think to choose between applications depending on your situation and how you want to use it.

blogger is an easy way to get started, especially when you are not that techie and have a little knowhow on PHP, CSS and SQL stuff. There are couple of people I know who are successfull in their blogging on blogger blogs. And while you are at blogger, you can take sometime to learn the wordpress basics. the good thing about blogger is it's free, no monthly charges and there are no required technical knowhow, although of course you still need these things to be able to manipulate it beautifully. (although you can get some assistance from those who already got some experience on it)

And if for some reason just like as explained before, and you want some flexibility, wordpress is a good way to go. Although of course you need to have your own hosting, and some basic PHP, and CSS knowledge. Or you still have the option to get someone do these for you.

As for getting it indexed and listed in search engines fast. I still believe that lies on your efforts. If you keep blogging and never link your wordpress blog elsewhere, of course it won't get indexed. while blogger blogs get indexed a bit faster since blogger lists their members blogs I believe.

But you can always get your wordpress blogs indexed and get listed in the engines fast! of course that depends on your linking efforts.

dhundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 03:38 PM   #14
lunartcorp

I just moved from Blogger to Word Press for only one reason: Blogger did not allow me to categorize by topic. Besides, I found Word Press allowed me not only categorization at multiple levels but also hosting under my own domain.

I am still dealing with some things like Font Style and Font Size in Word Press without using HTML but I think it is a matter of finding how. By the way, if anyone knows how to select Font and Size in wordpress editor I would appreciate your help (I already installed and enabled WYSIWYG plugin).

WordPress is installed at the server but since not all of us have access to the command line of the server, we use to download to our computers first and then move the files to the server using FTP.

I just wrote an article about Installing WordPress in Network Solutions that might help you to answer more questions.

Last edited by lunartcorp; 16th August 2006 at 03:47 PM.
lunartcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 10:39 PM   #15
JGAviator

Thanks All for your help on this one.

I didn't get a chance to look at it for a couple of days. I needed to clear some time on my schedule

I had trouble getting through the WordPress tutorial and did some internet searching for help. I came across a video tutorial that was extremely helpful. I recommend it to all who aren't as tech savy, like myself. Here's the link to share with anyone else. What a life saver !!

http://www.cre8d-design.com/blog/wordpress.html

Old 21st August 2006, 11:29 PM   #16
hotwebideas

I just moved from blogger to Wordpress. I like them both.

I really like wordpress's CSS interface. Much easier than blogger's.

hotwebideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 06:59 PM   #17
MIVAJulie
VIP Contributor

I actually have my own personal blog and I use WordPress.

I was able to set up a MySQL database rather easily (got WP Docs - you all rock!), and got up and running within days.

Within weeks I had more visitors than I expected and I am more than happy with my organic rankings. I hit the top 20 for almost everything I search for (with the exception of the really big ones and I am pretty realistic in that I will never get close to them without being sneaky), but that's mainly because of those who link to me.

Overall, I strongly recommend and suggest WP. The great skins, the use of CSS's (if I ever actually get off my butt and work on my own), the layout manipulation, add-ons, etc. all make me happily recommend WP.

Old 29th August 2006, 03:25 PM   #18
milal

Default Blogger vs WP

We use Wordpress for our company blog, but it was already set up when I got here. I'll be redesigning the blog soon so I'm looking more into WP and Blogger to see what each has to offer. Seems like the majority strongly prefers WP, so I'll be looking more into that one.

milal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 05:51 PM   #19
Greyboy

I dont know if this is has alreayd been said, but wordpress does offer free hosting at wordpress.com , however, you have to buys credits in order to edit your theme, change the domain, as well as other features that would be free if you had it on your own server. And you get a yourname.wordpress.com domain.

I am trying blogsome.com for my blog ( evergreenmobileservices.blogsome.com - Just started the site yesterday, so there is no content yet ), but Ive only had it since yesterday, so I have really noticed any pros or cons.

Also, I used to be a web designer / graphic designer / programmer, so if any one needs help, let me know. Oh and if you want a custom theme or need me to install WP or any blog on your site, I will do it for $10.

Greyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 10:20 AM   #20
fairdoes
VIP Contributor

Default blogger beta and categories

I've just 'switched' from Blogger to Blogger beta - and now they do have categorising (labels, or such). The waiting for 'publishing' is also a thing of the past.

There MUST be seo benefits, and visitor-friendliness benefits, in having all posts with the same theme viewable in one page. Choose your 'labels' with care!

fairdoes is offline   Reply With Quote