Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th July 2010, 01:17 AM   #1
musicworld1

Default Bolding Of Keywords In Content Help In Seo?

How much important is bolding of keywords in the content part of the website. does it improves rankings in search engines?

musicworld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th July 2010, 06:57 AM   #2
DavidMort
VIP Contributor

Of course it's very important for readers to see the most important keywords. Of course it will improve the traffic.

DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 02:41 PM   #3
trm21

I have always been told that it is important to bold keywords. And that advice came from some of the top Internet gurus. So I hope so!

trm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 08:24 PM   #4
ZakiUsman

It is important for two reasons:

#1 Direct SEO. Google, etc will get to figure out that <strong> tags mean that the keyword is important... especially if it goes along with the <title> and <h1> tags.

#2 If your content is easier to read for the reader then the reader will stay on your site longer. The longer the visitor stays on your site, the more credibility to your page for that keyword.... and you start to inch up on your rankings.

ZakiUsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Social-Media

Bolding keywords has a tiny affect on SEO... But the disadvantages of doing so far outweight any SEO gain your URL might receive.

Personally, I cannot stand to click on a link in the SERPs only to be taken to some page where the webmaster has bolded every occurence of some keyword phrase on the page. It makes that page look cheap... spammy... and I immediately hit the back button and browse some other site.

The only time I will bold a word or phrase on one of my pages is if it is a word that I am about to give a definition of. And that is very rarely.

You can "say" that bolding the same keyword over and over on a page somehow "helps" a reader by making your content easier to read... But readers don't stay on your site because you bold the same keyword 20 times on a page. It has the exact opposite affect.

Write your content for your readers. Make it easy to read and avoid using gimmicks like bolding to help rankings...

As an SEO you need to constantly balance what is good for SEO vs. what is good for your site visitors... You have to learn to pick your battles. Bolding, though considered by many engines as one ranking factor, is a VERY, VERY minor factor at best. Almost every time it comes down to doing something good for SEO vs. doing something good for the user, a great SEO will go with doing something good for the user.

Bolding "Forex Trading" and "Foreign Exchange" 20 times on a page because you think it is going to help you rank for those keywords is ridiculous.

Ranking is meaningless if you can't get people to stay on your site and convert. I, like many, consider sites that use this gimmick spammy.

Last edited by Social-Media; 11th July 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Social-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 03:33 AM   #6
WebWizard

Its a good idea & practice to get great results!

WebWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 08:03 AM   #7
trm21

Let me clarify my previous answer, it is important to bold keywords, but NOT to bold EVERY keyword on the page. I would say bold it only the first time that it shows up on a blog post, for example. In other words, yes bold, but keep it minimal.

trm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 02:56 PM   #8
MadAdvice

Also, italics does the same as bolding as far as SEO.

MadAdvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 11:45 PM   #9
davidbkeegan

Default Bolding

Normally I use bolding when using headings isn't an option or when there is a big chuck of text you don't think readers will read.

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 05:57 PM   #10
wwiii12364

Default Putting emphasis on keywords is very important to SEO

Sorry but I disagree with just about every other answer here in one way or another. I am not here to toot my own horn so I will not post my qualifications to answer this. I will just offer my thoughts and let you decide.

First off, by itself putting emphasis on your keyword will not sky rocket you through the Google ranks but it is most certainly a very important part of proper SEO.

The proper way to ideally SEO a single page is to start at the top. Each page should focus on one keyword.

Your title should contain the keyword as close to the beginning as possible.

Meta Description should be done the same way: keyword as close to beginning as possible.

As for the content it should contain your keyword at a density of around 2% and never more than 3%.

Your keyword should be in at least one H1, and H2 tag.

You should use at least one image with your keyword in the 'ALT' tag if possible.

Your keyword should be evenly disbursed throughout the content and again it is important that it be very close to the beginning. Preferably in the first few words of the first sentence and again at the end of your content.

Bold, Italics and underline all carry the same weight and serve to show Google that this is an important word in your content. You should try to emphasize your keyword 3 times: once at the beginning, once in the middle and once again at the end of your content.

You should also use what are called LSI keywords. (Latent Semantic Indexing) These are words that are related to your keyword and for the most part you will use them without thinking about it if you write your content naturally. If you would like to know which LSI keywords that Google thinks are most related to your main keyword there is a very easy way to find out what they are.

Go to the Google Adwords Keyword Tool (just Google "Google Keyword Tool)

Now type in you main keyword, leave the "use synonyms" box checked and click get keywords. Google will by default sort the results BY RELEVANCE. these are the LSI keywords in the order of relevance according to Google. Starting at the top and working your way down use as many as you can in your content while still writing in a natural manner.

I am not telling you to keyword stuff or anything remotely close to that. It is important for you to write in a way that is well balanced, both for your reader and for Google. Normally this is very easy to if you just write the way you would speak.

I'm sorry but if you don't try and write at least a little bit for Google how can you possibly expect your page to be found?

One way that I accomplish this is to write the content naturally then go back and look for places that I can use my list of LSI keywords or main keyword and still keep the content pleasing to read.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by wwiii12364; 18th July 2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Edited to fix grammatical errors
wwiii12364 is offline   Reply With Quote