Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th December 2006, 07:27 PM   #1
Scarecrow

Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow
Default Computer Repair Business

Hello, I am a new member of these forums and have been contemplating starting a small business for quite some time. I have noticed some people are just looking for ideas, others have the ideas and want to improve upon them before seeking the specifics out. In my case, I have two ideas, both somewhat similar in concept, but would like to throw them out there and see what the feedback is.

Idea #1) This has been my main thought for quite some time. I live in a college town (actually a college and junior college here) so there are students galore. I have noticed while there are a lot of computer repair businesses in town, many of them charge in the range of 60-80$ an hour for computer repair. By running a small, home based computer repair business, I could charge a cheaper hourly rate (more competitive) as well as pick and choose the work that I was to take in.

Idea #2) I have also given a bit of thought to starting more of a global, strictly website based business where I do remote computer repair only. A customer (new or revisiting) logs into the website, request for help, and the technician remotely repairs their computer if possible.

Now, I am 21 years old and currently attending school for certifications in the network administration field. I already have been certified for computer repair, network repair, etc. I feel if I was to go with the first option, it would be more of a side job as opposed to spending every waking moment as help desk support on a website. However, with the second option I could cater to a much larger crowd, and save the cost of gasoline, much quicker repair, etc.

I would just like some feedback, tips, and anything else that you guys could possibly suggest to me. Thanks :-)

Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th December 2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Welcome aboard

One thought I had while reading thru your ideas is that with your computer repair service you seem to be relying on differentiating yourself by offering a cheaper price. Based on my experiences, price alone isn't always enough of a factor to attract customer. Additionally it can be difficult to convey cheap prices and quality in the same marketing message. While your price point may be a key/important factor ... I would develop things a bit more. How else can you attract customers without depending on a 'lower price' strategy.

Old 19th December 2006, 04:53 PM   #3
ThirdStarr

Default Computer repair pricing

You may want to change your pricing plan. I currently do computer repair and people in my area was not open minded to a hourly rate.So I changed my pricing plan so that my pricing was based on the type of work I did. For instance if I cleaned the computer of spyware and viruses, which was a good bit of my business, I would charge about $50. At times I would adjust this based on what my competitions pricing was. These are just some things to think about before you start your business

ThirdStarr

ThirdStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 12:17 AM   #4
baldalphen

The first step that you must take when you are thinking of starting a business, is to set the right price for your service.Time is money, and you will probably charge by the hour.You need to market your business by sending mailers or distributing flyers. You can also promote your business on the Internet, through SEO (search engine optimization) or email marketing.

baldalphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 06:34 AM   #5
mktgbiz

I like Thirdstarr's idea......why not create price point packages that include a certain amount of services.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Sas123

Good ideas! I like your idea about repairing computers as it can be very profitable for you and for the neibourhood. As far as I understand you have some knowledge i repairing computers. Try and start.

Old 15th May 2010, 12:04 AM   #7
johndept1

it is a great business today position.

johndept1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 07:35 AM   #8
lucybenth

I have started a small business at my location, providing Software and Hardware services with good service & with less prices. And recently I have started clearing the Virus and Spyware and also working with MAC. My business is going good. And also planning to improve the business. Now a days Computer repairing business is one of the best and more demanding business.

lucybenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 02:19 AM   #9
lemuelmayers

Send a message via Yahoo to lemuelmayers

In order to get client is when the price is right and affordable. Hourly rate from the service, I guess is not right to do that because people are all practical when it comes to this. We all know that this kind of business is really in demand especially technology is on a highly upgraded.

lemuelmayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 06:52 AM   #10
devm5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Hello, I am a new member of these forums and have been contemplating starting a small business for quite some time. I have noticed some people are just looking for ideas, others have the ideas and want to improve upon them before seeking the specifics out. In my case, I have two ideas, both somewhat similar in concept, but would like to throw them out there and see what the feedback is.

Idea #1) This has been my main thought for quite some time. I live in a college town (actually a college and junior college here) so there are students galore. I have noticed while there are a lot of computer repair businesses in town, many of them charge in the range of 60-80$ an hour for computer repair. By running a small, home based computer repair business, I could charge a cheaper hourly rate (more competitive) as well as pick and choose the work that I was to take in.

Idea #2) I have also given a bit of thought to starting more of a global, strictly website based business where I do remote computer repair only. A customer (new or revisiting) logs into the website, request for help, and the technician remotely repairs their computer if possible.

Now, I am 21 years old and currently attending school for certifications in the network administration field. I already have been certified for computer repair, network repair, etc. I feel if I was to go with the first option, it would be more of a side job as opposed to spending every waking moment as help desk support on a website. However, with the second option I could cater to a much larger crowd, and save the cost of gasoline, much quicker repair, etc.

I would just like some feedback, tips, and anything else that you guys could possibly suggest to me. Thanks :-)
Obviously go for second one.

As this way you will cover a large customer base in fact whole of the world. There will be no limit of earning this way. So don't waste time, just get a beautiful and attractive website designed and start this business asap.

Don,t bring second thought. Rest is your choice, make your choice.
Good Luck

devm5 is offline   Reply With Quote