Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd January 2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Amanda Wright

Default Cleaning Company

I'm trying to decide on a good add-on service for a small window cleaning company. Is any body in the service industry and have advice ?

Amanda Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th January 2014, 07:28 PM   #2
kaoolo

On my opinion, the best add-on you can bring to your cleaning business is to build a site where you share your knowledge with others. Millions of people are trying to open a cleaning service, some want to know what chemicals to use or not to use, others are dying to know how to make it profitable, etc.

Have you heard of Infopreneur? That’s what you may need to do. You may be surprised to double your take home in no time.

You can also write an eBook about window cleaning. You can do it.

Old 27th January 2014, 08:55 AM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

What you could add-on depends on the exact nature of your existing business. I assume we're talking about commercial window cleaning, at least primarily. Do you also do residential? Are we talking about high-rise stuff, with the guys on those platforms dangling over the city streets, or something where they wear harnesses? Or are we looking more at "ground level" stuff?

If you don't do residential, you could add that. If you already do residential, add power washing of siding and decks. In fact, with these "deck resurfacing" products that are out now, you could offer deck restoration services. Exterior power washing of walls/sidewalks would also potentially work as a sideline for a commercial oriented business.

Basically, I'd say look at any sort of exterior maintenance / cleaning service: stuff that might require equipment your clients don't have, or that is "icky." People will pay a lot to have someone else take care of the "icky" work for them.

My

--Torka

Old 13th February 2014, 07:10 AM   #4
rinaric15

Me and my partner set up a cleaning business!
My advice, in short, is:
Get in the Yellow pages. Get an early position – this is dependent on your name so ensure it starts with A B or C.
Use a simple name that means something – ours was called ‘The Cleaning Company’.
Send letters explainig you are a new start up looking to expand, young, firendly, professional etc etc. We targetted businesses such as office blocks, car garages, doctors surgeries, estate agents, hairdressers, letting agents that have flats with communal areas!
The Yellow Pages and the letters got us up to 2 x full time employees in about a month!
Be competitive in your pricing.
Dont cost per hour. charge for the job….otherwise if you are there 50 mins and not 60 the clients will whinge. We worked on the basis of £12 an hour. If it was a smaller job then we had a min charge of £8 – hoovering and polishing an estates agents twice a week took 25 mins each time.
Be reliable. We had LOADS of people call and ask us to quote because they had been let down by the cleaners not turning up or not doing the job properly….our reputation ensured we grew to the biggest in the area very quickly.
If you are not professional you will lose clients instantly, if you are, you will grow quickly!
Feel free to email me if you want to pick my brains!
GOOD LUCK

rinaric15 is offline   Reply With Quote