Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th April 2010, 09:08 AM   #1
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Thumbs up How To Use A Facebook Fan Group To Market Your Business

When Keeli and David Crewe wanted to get out the word on the opening of Area 61, a shop in Chattanooga, Tennessee, that showcases talented craftsman from around the area, they and their partners created a fan group on Facebook. Between their personal Facebook “friends” and those of the artists they represent, they were able to immediately reach out to more than 1,000 people.

From there, the news about the little shop at 61 East Main Street spread. When their Facebook friends joined the Area 61 fan group, a notice was posted on the page of each of those people's friends. Of course, not all of those are going to join, but many might click through to find out what the shop is all about.

The exponential nature of the world of friends on Facebook is invaluable, and many savvy shop and restaurant owners, musicians, and artists are taking advantage. Facebook fan groups aren’t good marketing venues for all businesses. Accounting or law firms are a bit of a Facebook buzz killer. But if you have a unique business ripe for community building, it’s a great place to start and it does not cost a dime. Here are some examples of how it has been used.

The Corner Cupboard in historic Union City, Indiana, population 3,600, has 180 or so regular customers as members of its Facebook group. The shop, which sells Hallmark products, reaches out to its members to let them know about sidewalk sales at the store, special promotions for Mother’s Day or graduating seniors, or new merchandise on sale. The store has been able to build a community online, with notes to customers and photos from events.

One World Café located on West Main Street in Peoria, Illinois, has more than 500 Facebook fans whose mouths no doubt water when the restaurant posts its holiday specials such as Easter brunch of Eggs Oscar (English muffin topped with crab, poached egg, asparagus, and hollandaise sauce). But it also uses Facebook to announce events such as concerts and fundraisers. Last winter it held a fundraiser to help build a library in Sudan. One recent practical post to its fans: The cafe is now part of a credit card “rewards network,” where people can earn points when using their credit cards.

Ozzie’s Coffee & Tea in Brooklyn, New York, promotes game night and other events through its Facebook fan group full of loyal patrons. Having the site allows the owner to upload pictures from events: family and friends playing games, local kids coming by on Halloween night. Owner Melissa Azulai Rappoport uses it to send out tips to customers, such as how to store coffee beans (not in the refrigerator) or clean a coffeemaker (hint: water and vinegar).

Most people don’t think of wine when they think of Colorado, but Facebook friends of the Colorado Wine Country Inn would argue otherwise. The inn, located in Palisade, Colorado, keeps in touch with guests through its fan group, alerting them of special offers and events at the hotel. Announcements include a course hosted by a world-class sommelier. The hotel offers prizes for members who refer the most new friends and recently announced its 250th member.

These small businesses have found ways to keep loyal customers up to date on offerings and services, while reaching out to potential customers with what amounts to a personal recommendation. And all of these efforts cost nothing more than a little time and creating something to promote.

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th November 2010, 03:16 PM   #2
englishsunset

Default New stuff

I keep getting emails about a certain very interesting program just launched that seems to have the corner on Facebook marketing. Then again, maybe they are just good at getting me interested. Costs $997. Anybody know about this one?

englishsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Melva

Default A Facebook Application that will Help

I joined a Facebook app called networkedbogs, and also created a page for my business on Facebook, then I set my networkedblogs setting so that every time I post a new page to my blog it post it to the page I created for my business. Then I invited all my facebook friends to follow my blog via networkedblog. Also other people in the networkblogs app visit my blog. I do not get a lot of traffic but I do get some every time I post a new page to my blog.

Good Luck!

Old 20th August 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
JunkDawgs

Has anybody tried the "pay per impressions" option on Facebook ad creator?

JunkDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 04:27 AM   #5
Alston152

Default How To Use A Facebook Fan Group To Market Your

Using facebook as medium for marketing is looking very simple but it needs more patients to get result..

Alston152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I used to run Yahoo! groups back in the day and did very well, I was one of the highest on the list when searching "scoliosis"

Facebook came along and in a short space of time I had grown my scoliosis group bigger than I could ever have dreamed of on Yahoo!, the possibilities were and still are so much greater and more fun (except since they brought in timeline and upset everyone!)

I agree that Facebook is valuable to your business, however, one aspect also worries me - having your business in the hands of someone else, they call the shots, they make changes that perhaps you don't like (timeline) and I do think it has taken some traffic away from my websites because that audience spends more time searching Facebook than it does Google

I wouldn't go without my Facebook fan page, one thing I have found very beneficial is events, I have been able to organise events cheaply with this application and of course spread the word and share

Nutty

Old 27th September 2012, 02:24 AM   #7
stevepearls

Default Backlinks

First to follow those people related to your business. and regularly update your status message, more active on Facebook activities like Facebook Page, games, events etc. build your social presence strong. Then start promoting your business share your business links on fan group. and gets lots of unique visitors.

stevepearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 11:06 AM   #8
JunkDawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepearls View Post
First to follow those people related to your business. and regularly update your status message, more active on Facebook activities like Facebook Page, games, events etc. build your social presence strong. Then start promoting your business share your business links on fan group. and gets lots of unique visitors.
You can't follow people on Facebook, they have to 'Like' your fan page. Acquiring 'Likes' is the challenge because before doing promotions you need to have a substantial audience. There's no value in running promotions to only 50 people that like your page. Twitter, or a personal page allow you to be "friends" or "follow" like minded people/businesses, but Business pages are a bit more challenging to attain an audience.

JunkDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 04:26 PM   #9
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to MarketingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkDawgs View Post
You can't follow people on Facebook, they have to 'Like' your fan page. Acquiring 'Likes' is the challenge because before doing promotions you need to have a substantial audience. There's no value in running promotions to only 50 people that like your page. Twitter, or a personal page allow you to be "friends" or "follow" like minded people/businesses, but Business pages are a bit more challenging to attain an audience.
The original post isn't about "likes" or Facebook pages. It's about facebook GROUPS.

These are seriously useful tools for building a community around your business, including events, files (for downloading) and more.

It's a FREE, quick and easy way to build a Membership site for your business, with no expensive software or hosting required.

With some thought and intelligent promotion, you can build a list of group members who receive your notifications and can be easily contacted.

Yes, by all means create a Facebook page for your business. But use that page to take people to your Facebook Group for more reliable connection and contact.

Members can tag your Group in their Favourites on their timelines (left hand column), and the number of unread notifications will appear beside your Group name whenever they log on to Facebook.

MarketingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 03:31 PM   #10
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to MarketingDoctor

Just a quick after-thought: an earlier poster to this topic (Nutty) makes an important point…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
I agree that Facebook is valuable to your business, however, one aspect also worries me — having your business in the hands of someone else, they call the shots, they make changes that perhaps you don't like (timeline) and I do think it has taken some traffic away from my websites because that audience spends more time searching Facebook than it does Google.
It’s critically important to get as many of your Facebook Group members to sign up to your mailing list as possible, and as soon as possible.

I find an offer of a short, FREE home study course — or a series of really good articles — via autoresponder on a topic of immediate interest to new members of your Group is an effective way to encourage Group members to sign up for your email list.

Then you can always stay in contact with your Facebook Group, even if Facebook does one of its regular, feral stunts and deletes your Group for any reason, or reduces reach for Groups as well as Facebook Pages. (Facebook now admits that your Page notifications will only reach a maximum of around 16% of "likers" without you paying for more.)

MarketingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote