Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
QiSoftware

Default Joomla CMS... Your Thoughts

I have posed this question in several forums. Joomla is a relatively new CMS-- an offspring of Mambo. I have read really good things about this application and its ease of use. [Its a free download and an autoinstall with web hosts offering Fantastico.]

I do not consider blogging platforms to be CMS applications-- but technically I suppose there are. These are the only CMS platforms I use [WordPress and Blogger] on my sites.

I use vi and text editors for my own web site development work, but I am pushing Joomla [new web hosting venture] for those hosting clients that want to develop their own sites. I also use this package for client sites so that I can hand off and allow them to update as they like.

For those of you who have tried it [Joomla]-- what do you think? Is there any easier CMS platform? Is there something else I should be pushing?

Q...

QiSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:47 AM   #2
StupidScript
Administrator

Joomla is nice and has a lot of extensions.

It is also quite a handful for someone who wants to begin using it for many different clients, unless you get into making your own templates ... not for the faint of heart. It runs best on a dedicated server, or at least one where the admin has the ability to modify permissions and ownership of files and directories. You'll also need to have at least a little bit of familiarity with MySQL to get the most out of it.

Once you understand how things are linked together (menus, content, modules and components), Joomla can be a very useful CMS system. It blows many other systems out of the water with regard to robustness and security, and the extensions can be a lot of fun. There are more simple CMS systems out there, and more complex ones, but I give Joomla a thumbs up for anyone who wants to dive in and learn about it.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:59 PM   #3
orvado

I recently tried out Joomla for a personal site of mine. I found that it is highly configurable even if the interface is a bit non-standard. I was disappointed to find that there are very little free themes available. But if you are a designer and don't mind creating templates, then this is a great solution.

A lot of the modules are very generic looking (to go along with any theme I suppose). For any visitors to the site, it quickly becomes obvious that the site is built with web portal software. Not the ideal thing to instill confidence in your viewers. But if you are just building a community site with lots of information to sift through, it will work wonders.

orvado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Old Welsh Guy

I found it increadibly server intensive, it just has too many **** quries

Old 23rd August 2006, 12:34 PM   #5
StupidScript
Administrator

Hmmm ... OWG, I only noticed extreme activity while administrating. Normal page viewing activities seem, well ... normal for a database driven site. The number of modules being displayed on any given page definitely has an impact on performance.

And I agree with orvado ... you've got to put in a bit of time to get anything that doesn't have a hint of Mambo in it.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 05:20 PM   #6
guigo

i'd say Joomla is the best CMS solution outthere. used by thousands, that means it has something
i have it running on about four of my sites, it's easy to install, update, and also backup/move to now hosting.
takes not that much time to understand it, 'couse it has verrrrrry nice UI and lot of things work intuitively.

guigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 02:57 PM   #7
TheGoToGuy

Default Look Into ModX

I was exploring the use of Joomla for a site I work on when I came across ModX.

ModX is billed as a application platform rather than a CMS. What I found is that it is very flexible and I was able to quickly adapt an existing template to use inside the framework. There was no hint of an inherent 'look'.

The software is relatively young, but there seems to be an enthusiastic group of developers working on it. I haven't spent enough time working with it to determine how robust it is, but I was recently able to create a site for a client using ModX. It worked well and the client was able to manage content without any significant HTML knowledge.

My biggest praise for ModX is that it made sense to me from a designer's point of view. Most CMSs I have looked at were very confusing when I tried to adapt one of my page templates into the system. With this program I only had to drop in a few lines of code to replace my 'place holder content' and menu code. It worked - first try. That never happened before. I had a working test site up (with a custom template) inside of 30 minutes.

(Full disclosure - I did have to do a little studying later to figure out the menu code, but it was pretty painless. I mostly needed to ensure that I had the right options set and that the IDs I used in the style sheet matched what the code was creating.)

TheGoToGuy is offline   Reply With Quote