Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th September 2007, 07:18 AM   #1
QiSoftware

Default Online Professional Profiles-- Would You Pay To List?

An online group I watch allows members to establish online professional profiles. I often check the listings to see who's new.

Based in part on their service, I wanted to start a new service that would target a non specific gender group.

My questions -- [1] Would you pay to list with a service like this? [2] Would you use a service like this?

Possible benefits-- The service is heavily marketing therefore giving your profile more exposure. This along with perhaps enlarging your own network through a new market.

I am doing the market research and have posed these questions in several forums.

Your responses will be appreciated.

Q...

QiSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th September 2007, 07:29 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

It would depend. There are plenty of opportunities to create online profiles for free - LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.

What would be the value where people would want to pay? Why would your service be different (and better) than others that are free?

Old 7th September 2007, 07:56 AM   #3
QiSoftware

Yes there are [free profiling services]. Benefits to using this service-- able to review profiles without signing up or in. Other services tend to block this with their services.

Another benefit-- this will not be part of something larger. It will be about online professional profiles.

Another-- knowledge of online promotions. Two sites that will go in all my signatures-- this new service and my business directory link. The service will be heavily promoted.

Q...

Old 7th September 2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

I'm not sold I would pay for it, but maybe some would. I'm not swayed much by the differences you outlined. Making profiles viewable without signing up, not sure how that benefits me ... although I guess a lot depends on how "heavily promoted" it is.

Quote:
Another benefit-- this will not be part of something larger. It will be about online professional profiles.
Larger than what's out there with linkedin and facebook? According to LinkedIn's media kit they average 25 new members per minute. To me I don't need 'more/larger'.

Quote:
Another-- knowledge of online promotions. Two sites that will go in all my signatures-- this new service and my business directory link. The service will be heavily promoted.
That's expected, but not something I see as a benefit of paying for an online profile. I'm skeptical that heavily promoted = more than what the leaders in the space are already doing.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but what you outlined doesn't differentiate enough for me where I would spend money on a profile ... when so many other's (which already have what you suggest) exist for free.

Another consideration, getting people to sign up and create profiles etc isn't easy. 5% may do something, much less if it costs money.

Old 10th September 2007, 08:00 AM   #5
QiSoftware

I recently joined facebook but have not had the chance to look around. I am a member of linkedin. Often I cannot review entire profiles without a connection. Resumes are an issue-- I think. With this system-- everyone can review your business promo.

The general public too.

If you assume Linkedin is an employment site-- then you have a lot of individuals looking for jobs. You have job seekers looking at other job seekers.

My site is not geared to job seekers. It is about providing your professional profile. Why hire me, my company or use my services-- for everyone.

The everyone is key. Not just members.

I did not join a similar site I have seen-- but one Saturday I went through all the profiles.

I wanted to say hi to those listed that did not have a blog. I want to install blogs on their existing sites. I sent an email and introduced myself.

The example I provided suggests you could be subject to spammers? You could also find a new client that needs your services.

Last edited by QiSoftware; 10th September 2007 at 08:39 AM.