Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th February 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
windturbine

Default I Need Help

Okay, here's the general issue. I have a great product(wind turbine) great location to sell them(our winds here are great.

However, I'm trying to compete with a guy who's 1) been selling his product longer 2) has a lot up and running and 3)has a decent product.

The thing is, he doesn't have to market his product, people who are interested in buying a wind turbine just go up to an established one that he's put up and the people with the wind turbine refer that customer to him.

That's my problem. I have a good, reliable wind turbine, better warranty, cheaper cost, but I can't compete with his marketing. He's got them everywhere.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes???

windturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st February 2011, 02:05 AM   #2
hdm
VIP Contributor

Good morning, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your plight. It is most frustrating, I know. Is there any way you can find a niche, something you can offer that the other guy isn't offering?

I wish you every success.

Old 21st February 2011, 10:34 PM   #3
windturbine

Well, As said before, my unit DOES have a better warranty, and my installation workmanship is better than his. I can also beat his prices. The thing is , I have no idea how to get my product known to people who want to install one. There is a local home show coming up, it would seem to be a good idea to attend it.

Old 22nd February 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
hdm
VIP Contributor

Hello again. Yes, attending the local home show sounds like a good idea.

Have you tried flyers in the area? Are you on twitter? Have you put adverts in local directories?

Also, a niche is something that he doesn't offer, something other than warranty, workmanship and prices.

Let us know how you get on.

Old 22nd February 2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Biz Optimizer

You can't deal in your "benefits", you need to relate that to the prospect's pain:
  • Can you imagine those out there who's windmills are just about to pay themselves off and they have an uncovered mechanical problem?
  • What if it had costed less?
  • what if it had a longer/better warranty?
All that money down the drain. Imagine what the return on investment COULD have been? - THEN SOLVE IT FOR THEM WITH YOUR PRODUCT.

I'm not great at it, but you need to make the market feel the pain of paying more and getting less warranty. The only problem is if it works - he lowers his price and exstends his warranty. It is a constant battle..

Good luck,

Biz Optimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:24 AM   #6
jshcolusa

I would suggest you study your competition a bit more. What/who is the target market? Are there clues in the advertising? Once you know the target market, see if you can find a different target market.

Also, why not do a little research yourself. Why not find some of the competition's products and stop and ask the owners why they bought the competitor's product? What was their primary motivation? What benefits were most important to them? Use this intelligence to build your message to your target market, which should focus on benefits to your potential buyers, not just the features of the product. What benefits is your competition offering?

If you create a clear competitive advantage, then you should be able to avoid competing only on price.

You can also contact the Small Business Administration office in your area and ask if there is a SCORE counselor who can assist you. He may be able to help find you a mentor who can also help.

jshcolusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:22 AM   #7
windturbine

Thanks for all the advice. I'd say my only niche is that my company will do direct financing.

My competitor has a good product, and they will easily last long enough to pay off the initial investment.

I have posted flyers showing what the benifits to the prospect would be, like "Make your own electricity and ditch the utility".

And when I ask people who have put a new competitor's turbine up, they simply say they asked somebody that had one if they liked it. I really didn't feel these people did a whole lot of research before buying.

Old 22nd February 2011, 07:12 PM   #8
PNeuman

Since your business is a specialized one, it might help if you are interviewed on a local radio station as an expert. You can format the questions so that there are no surprises.

Do not underestimate your 'financing' offer. That is a huge advantage with the economy the way it is. Emphasize that in your ads, web page, flyers.

Wish you the best.
Pat Neuman

PNeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 08:59 AM   #9
hdm
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by windturbine View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I'd say my only niche is that my company will do direct financing.

My competitor has a good product, and they will easily last long enough to pay off the initial investment.

I have posted flyers showing what the benifits to the prospect would be, like "Make your own electricity and ditch the utility".
I'm not sure where you're based, or whether you're familiar with QR codes. Have a read of this link (& there's plenty more articles about it).

http://www.stickerscan.com/Tagging-a...ing_b_142.html

If you include a QR code on your flyers, etc, it could lead the smartphone user to a special coupon, or whatever would be appropriate.

Old 23rd February 2011, 01:27 PM   #10
kendvp

One thing you got going for you is you know exactly what it is that makes you stand out from your competitor, you just need a way to get the word across. First thing that comes to my mind is a home show, second is mass mailing to the affluent. Are there home shows in your area where you can get a both? Is there any way you can compile a mailing list of people who might be interested in your service? Your target customer will likely be the boomers aged 55 to 65.

kendvp is offline   Reply With Quote