Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th April 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Logan
Administrator

Default New Link Building Ideas

Its not every day that you run across new ways to find (good) link opportunities, so I wanted to take a moment to post Debra's articles over at Search Engine Land on a Link Building Foundational Blueprint. I'm sure everyone will find at least one new idea for building links in these articles ...

Part 1: A Link Building Blueprint: The Foundation
Part 2: A Link Building Blueprint: Utility Linking
Part 3: Proven Ways To Use Content To Attract Links

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th April 2011, 03:51 PM   #2
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Logan - your first link is not correct (Parts 1 and 2 have the same URL and go to Part 2). Part 1 should be
http://searchengineland.com/a-link-b...undation-62784

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up jairey, i've fixed the first link so it is correct now

Old 3rd May 2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Lucky Adam

Although it is always very tough work to identify the exact way out of building links but I appreciate the efforts done by you in this regards. Information provided here worth appreciation. Thanks dear for sharing with us.

Lucky Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:24 PM   #5
wadeinni

Logan I found the article at SEL very informative and useful. I didn't even stop to think about Virtual Chambers of Commerce as I'm used to the brick and mortar ones that I generally don't join. I've already started googling ones in my niche. I'll see how it goes. The one thing I read in that article that I really don't see much benefit in anymore is submission to directory submissions ESPECIALLY DMOZ. They used to be extremely relevant in terms of your rankings and sending referral links but now they are gasping for life. Many people including myself don't even submit to DMOZ because their site submission process is terrible and vague, and secondly the referral traffic you get from your niche directory is scant at best. Post more of these when you find them, I do linkbuilding everyday and it's very exhaustive as all of you here know. Finding new and useful methods is like finding a hidden gem in my opinion.

wadeinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 04:05 AM   #6
iqecommerce

Thanks for sharing the info. This is really helpful and interested friends can generate more further products depending on those suggestions.

iqecommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
The one thing I read in that article that I really don't see much benefit in anymore is submission to directory submissions ESPECIALLY DMOZ.
Thats commonly accepted at this point. But, my take which I believe is similar to deborah's is that if you work the directories correctly they are worth your efforts. You have to learn what to do and not to do. For example with dmoz, learn their standards once. Go ahead and submit and forget. That's all when it comes to dmoz. do it, it is worth it for link/etc if you do get included. If not, forget it. Takes minimal time/free.

Other directories have some other advantages. For example inclusion in bestoftheweb costs 149/year. That might not make sense for your link strategy, but if you put together the directory submissions like Deb does - similar to your comments with virtual associations/groups - there can be golden nuggets to developing solid back links that are consistent and excellent quality.

Here is a google search of Deborah's articles at SEL

[site:searchengineland.com "Debra Mastaler"]

Read up on those pages for many more ideas, and in particular about directories and other tactics. The more you use, the better off you are in the long run. Deborah's a pro when it comes to that, including directories. Even link exchanges "can" be ok, at times.

Cheers

Old 6th May 2011, 05:27 PM   #8
innermountain

Great articles - thanks!

innermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 09:38 AM   #9
samuelhines

Thanks! I hope these link-building ideas will work for my sites.

samuelhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 08:45 AM   #10
Richard Blake

Default Utility Link Building

Hi All,

not sure if i'm being a little slow here but when using some of the common phrases to find similar sites for utility site building do you not just find your competitors? Think I may have misunderstood?

Our site sells Promotional Keyrings so it's fairly tricky to find interested blogs and forums dedicated to this topic..

Richard Blake is offline   Reply With Quote