Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th February 2011, 02:02 PM   #1
ravensoft

Question Dashes In Domain Name?

How many dashes can my domain name contain ? If the domain name contain more than 2 dashed does it affect the site ranking ?

ravensoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th February 2011, 12:59 AM   #2
AVP

I believe having more than 2 dashes is frowned upon. Just use your website directory for your underlying pages to add more words. For instance, "www.my-awesome-website.com/most-awesome/" would be a decent option. Lots of people are doing this now rather than just having a bunch of .html files in the main directory.

AVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
ChrissyBiz

Send a message via Skype™ to ChrissyBiz

Great advice AVP. I would also add that you want something you can easily say to people most times as well. Too many dashes and people become more prone to misspell or end up on the wrong page.

Old 28th February 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Default here's mine.....

dashes-bring-clarity-to-the-url,

otherwise it's like a vanity license plate:

www.dashesbringclaritytotheurl.pro

put as many as the sign-up site permits, and what makes you
screem out: u-r-e-k-a!

Last edited by viper_one; 28th February 2011 at 01:56 PM.
viper_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 04:09 PM   #5
jaairey
VIP Contributor

One thing to remember with dashes, is that only a few % of websites have them. Consequently, most people will assume no dashes in the name.

For instance, if looking for a website "my fantastic wonderful site" people are more likely to type in myfantasticwonderfulsite.com than my-fantastic-wonderful-site.com

If you have dashes in the name you have to make sure that you emphasize them when giving the URL, otherwise you will lose traffic to the non-dashed version.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 05:56 PM   #6
tradeshowdesign

Default Clarity vs. Confusion

I agree that dashes make web URLs easier to read, however, I also agree that people don't expect them or typically add them when typing a URL.

One solution I've found is to purchase your domain name with and without dashes, if it's difficult to read without dashes. Then, just set-up a permanent redirect from the the URL without dashes to the one with them. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Has anyone else tried this or have any reason why it's not a good idea (other than costing an extra $7 a year for the extra domain name)?

Old 28th February 2011, 09:36 PM   #7
trimblerob

Default More than 2 dashes...

I have been told by a reasonably reliable source from "a major search engine company" that any more than two dashes are a negative to the ultimate page rank determination. The only exception, I am told, is when the dashes have something to do with the actual dashes, i. e., d-a-s-h-e-s.com

Hope this Helps!

trimblerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 10:06 PM   #8
DanielW

Take a look at what Matt Cutts of Google says here >> http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/dashes-vs-underscores/

Apparently, Google does not penalize any amount of dashes.
Consider also that Wordpress uses dashes in all the URLs for sub-pages, as a standard format. Wordpress blogs suffer no ill effect from it.

DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 05:19 AM   #9
viper_one
VIP Contributor

well, im not hot for two dashes standard, but Site Sells top sites have dashes, for whatever reason

fyi

Old 1st March 2011, 01:51 PM   #10
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Quote:
One solution I've found is to purchase your domain name with and without dashes, if it's difficult to read without dashes. Then, just set-up a permanent redirect from the the URL without dashes to the one with them. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Has anyone else tried this or have any reason why it's not a good idea (other than costing an extra $7 a year for the extra domain name)?
I think most people if they can get the name without dashes, they don't bother with the dash version.

Remember you can write the name with caps at the beginning of each word e.g. MyFantasticWonderfulSite.com to make it easier to understand. Browsers will convert all caps to lower case, so it doesn't matter what mix of upper and lower case is used.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote