Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd February 2011, 03:40 PM   #11
windturbine

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Hopefully these flyers will work, I currently have a few prospects, and of course, they have mentioned i'll be considered along with my competitor.

The home show idea should work well, because it's a specialized show. People are attending because they obviously want to improve their homes in some way.

One advantage my competitor has is he has a full blown turbine model at our local Lowes store. I probably should contact Home depot, because that is HUGE advertising, when you think of how many people travel to those stores.

Last edited by windturbine; 23rd February 2011 at 08:23 PM.
windturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd February 2011, 06:44 PM   #12
jaairey
VIP Contributor

How about local newspapers? They are always looking for content. Alternative energy and green are popular topics.

Try writing up some general info about wind turbines with lots of facts (with sources) about them. If possible with an interesting angle or hook. If you present somebody with plenty of information, ideas etc., so it is easy for them to write an article, they will have a semi-freebie and owe you. Then you will get yourself described as a local expert/seller in the article.

Besides having better products you need to establish yourself as an expert.

I presume you are in Google places and any useful local web directory?

Out of curiosity what is the level of bird kill on your turbines vs your competitor?

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 08:22 PM   #13
windturbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaairey View Post
How about local newspapers? They are always looking for content. Alternative energy and green are popular topics.

Try writing up some general info about wind turbines with lots of facts (with sources) about them. If possible with an interesting angle or hook. If you present somebody with plenty of information, ideas etc., so it is easy for them to write an article, they will have a semi-freebie and owe you. Then you will get yourself described as a local expert/seller in the article.

Besides having better products you need to establish yourself as an expert.

I presume you are in Google places and any useful local web directory?

Out of curiosity what is the level of bird kill on your turbines vs your competitor?
Actually, there are NO documented bird or bat kills, in fact, the birds often try to nest in the hollow tail vanes on the machines.

Also, I think that's a good idea, I always presumed that newspaper journalists were overloaded with stories, etc.

Old 24th February 2011, 02:21 PM   #14
knightdavion6

Make a difference from your competitor!

knightdavion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 05:09 PM   #15
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Actually, there are NO documented bird or bat kills, in fact, the birds often try to nest in the hollow tail vanes on the machines.
This might be a good angle for an article since the general perception (assuming I an typical) is that there is bird kill.

Old 24th February 2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Dave Krygier

Here are a few different angles...if you want to see who is in the market to buy.

1. Run several test classifieds both online and offline in your local and regional markets. Split test to see which ones convert.
2. Setup a simple SEO landing page that the classifieds go to and split test this too.
3. Create several videos and get them to go viral. Use them on the landing pages.

To your success.

Dave Krygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 06:28 AM   #17
markashworth

You could try a search for blogs on your niche topic 'wind turbines' and write guest articles on them? This will increase links to your company homepage and make you stand out as being someone knowledgable in your field (thus gaining consumer awareness and trust in your product).

Getting listed on Dmoz.org on the directory page for your niche would do wonders too. Have a look: http://www.dmoz.org/Business/Energy/...urbines/Small/

markashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 03:53 PM   #18
windturbine

I just found out my competitor is a ruthless one. The potential customer just contacted me asking questions like "How many of your turbines have exploded?" and "your turbines aren't made to last, are they?"

It seems like this guy is really painting a negative picture about me. All lies it seems like.

I've heard some nasty stuff about my competitor from suppliers and home show managers. Last year he came by one other windturbine dealer's booth and threw all of his pamphlets on the floor, and told one of that dealer's potential customers that he was a goat f***er.

How does a reputable competitor like me deal with this crazyness???!

Old 28th February 2011, 01:38 AM   #19
hdm
VIP Contributor

You're quite right. It is craziness. It sounds like the only reputation he would be damaging is his own.

Old 1st March 2011, 10:34 PM   #20
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Dealing with craziness is tricky.

One thing that is your friend is statistics. If there is any info out there that can counteract his claims. It will take a while but people trust statistics (to pay bills I work part time as a research scientist and can use statistics "effectively"). For instance, exploding wind turbines - "Oh really, xyz source showed that "my brand" wind turbines had a better safety record and lower failure rate than "his brand" wind turbines." Or "That is surprising since "my brand turbines" have the best safety or longevity or whatever rating of any wind turbine according to this "reputable" source." The potential customer is going to be impressed by the stats and probably tell other people.

You don't have a signature with a website (perhaps you don't have enough posts). If you don't have one get one pronto. Scoring well in local search will bypass your competitor for the many people who do a web search when interested in a product. Load your site with sourced stats.

With a website to get a better quality score try to get inbound links and "expert status". Think about writing for other websites. Two places to start are HARO (help a reporter out) and Blogger Link Up.

From the Blogger Link UP most recent email

"3) Alternative Energy Blog wants your content! Green? AltEnergy?
Industry insights? We want em!

Name: Kevin Rockwell
Blog or Website URL: http://www.alternativeenergyhq.com
Email: [email protected]

Oour post rules are that the content need s to be 350 words or
longer, the content is about the Alternative Energy field (solar,
wind,bio diesel, wave,carbon credits,hybrid cars, electric cars,geo
thermal,hydrogen fuel, bio fuels). We welcome industry experts and
we conduct interviews. We allow up to two links in the lost back to
your URL. Images are welcome.

Previously published OK?: Yes"