Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Ideas Forum Info > Questions About the Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2013, 07:53 AM   #1
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Default Are All Of The Posts Legitimate?

I was just curious...

Occasionally I'll read posts on the forum that just seem a bit off. I'll try to describe what I mean:

The questions some posters ask seem so simplistic (e.g. "how to get Twitter followers urgently?", or instead they just post a few very general statements about SEO or something like that. Never anything of any real substance. And the grammar is always just a little bit wrong.

I don't mean to be cynical but I assume these posts are spammers. I don't want to use any as examples, as I don't want to insult anyone in case I'm wrong. But are these posts legitimate?

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

If you could provide an example it would be helpful.

There has been one member that comes to mind recently that was doing what you describe and their privileges were removed. I encourage you to report any posts you think "may" be spam. Its done privately and we'll review to make the final call.

What you describe isn't of value, so I'd consider it spam.

Old 26th April 2013, 02:49 PM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Keep in mind, also, we have people who log in from all over the world. For some of our members English is not their first language, which may also explain some simplistic sounding questions and "off" grammar. I hate to think what my posts would sound like if I were trying to write in Chinese (for instance).

--Torka

Old 26th April 2013, 03:38 PM   #4
ahoopes

I was born and raised in the U.S. and my grammar is so bad I tell people English is my second language!

Old 26th April 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
jamest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatprecisionE View Post
I was just curious...

Occasionally I'll read posts on the forum that just seem a bit off. I'll try to describe what I mean:

The questions some posters ask seem so simplistic (e.g. "how to get Twitter followers urgently?", or instead they just post a few very general statements about SEO or something like that. Never anything of any real substance. And the grammar is always just a little bit wrong.

I don't mean to be cynical but I assume these posts are spammers. I don't want to use any as examples, as I don't want to insult anyone in case I'm wrong. But are these posts legitimate?
I am not sure if it actually really spammers. I think they look 'spammy' because some visitors are from non-English speaking countries and it just comes off as spammy. Hope this makes any sense :P

Old 26th April 2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Keep in mind that there are two parts to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatprecisionE View Post
Never anything of any real substance. And the grammar is always just a little bit wrong.
"Never anything of real substance" - If so, I would consider an issue as it does not add value. It does happen at times. For example one member recently was posting daily new threads like "What is SEO", "What is PPC", etc.

On the other hand we're not going to play the grammar police roll. We do have members from all over the world.

If you think it is spam, please report it. Your report does not mean that we lower the hammer on anyone immediately. But we will be sure to look into that member and their history further.

Old 29th April 2013, 07:55 AM   #7
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Keep in mind, also, we have people who log in from all over the world. For some of our members English is not their first language, which may also explain some simplistic sounding questions and "off" grammar.

--Torka
Good point! I thought of this myself too, and I hesitated to write this post at all for this very reason (I certainly had no intention of sounding xenophobic).

I think it's less to do with the grammar, but as Logan wrote, a lack of substance, but that's subjective, I suppose.

I didn't want to provide an example as I didn't want to embarrass anyone in case they weren't a spammer. But now that I know the procedure I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks!

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 12:54 AM   #8
Hampers
VIP Contributor

It's always a bit crushing to see spammers infiltrating a forum or blog - it is a blight on the place and just gives an overall impression the place is a bit neglected.

But on the other hand some places are so hyper vigilant that I second guess myself out of adding to the thread.

This place has gotten so much better over time, it is a credit to the moderators...

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote