Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st December 2007, 08:02 AM   #1
pattykraus

Default Link Farms

When I first build my website, which was only a couple of months ago, someone contacted me about a link. I was happy and did it. Now I realize it is a link farm and was a very bad thing to do. I deleted the link from my website. Is that ok? Should I tell them I don't want the link on their site anymore. It is actually a list of jewelry stores and I thought that would be ok??? How we live and learn!

pattykraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st December 2007, 09:51 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

As long as you aren't linking to them, you shouldn't have any problems. The Search Engines know you can't control who links to you, and one link from a questionable site shouldn't cause problems.

What makes you believe this site is a link farm? Typically, true link farms require you to link to every other site that's part of the farm. If all they did is require a single link back to their directory of jewelry sites, that might not necessarily be a tremendously valuable link, but its very unlikely to hurt you, even if you kept the link out to them.

(And if it is a reciprocal-link directory, once they find out you've removed the link to them, they may well remove the link to you anyway, even without your asking.)

In either case, though, no worries!

--Torka ropeller:

Old 31st December 2007, 07:15 PM   #3
RayGoneFishing

I'm a bit surprised you're worried about that one link you exchanged with the supposed link farm but not about the other sites on your link page you've traded links with. Baby gift baskets, timeshare resale, Oregon RV parks, dating tips... Those sites seem much less relevant to your website than a directory of jewelry stores.

As Torka said, the list of jewelry stores probably wasn't a link farm to begin with. "Link farm" is more of a concept, i.e. crosslinking a whole bunch of websites with every site linking to every other site, and not every website that links to a lot of others can be called a link farm. Otherwise the gift basket site would probably qualify as a link farm too.

So, in short, I agree with Torka that you have nothing to worry about because of that link.

One more thing I can't help but ask -- why do you throw up a popup with the Ammonite Jewelry page in it as soon as someone accesses your home page? I found that very irritating.

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 03:24 AM   #4
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of the website. The focus seems all over the place?

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 08:17 AM   #5
RayGoneFishing

Yeah, it's sort of hard to be sure what the purpose of the website is. Apparently it was about ethnic jewelry originally and then went off on tangents, maybe to get more search terms on the pages. And the menu would benefit from a bit of structure too. There are other things I would change, but since the OP didn't ask for a website review, I better stop...

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:12 PM   #6
pattykraus

Default Thanks for all the information

As I said, I am so totally new to everything and very confused. Anyway, I guess it appears I have no idea what I'm doing which I don't. I feel like starting all over again, but I did a lot of work, so I'll try to fine tune what I have. First of all, now that I'm reading about the link farms, (which I never heard of in my life), I see that, those people who wanted to link to me were part of a link farm. Now, I get it. Should I just get rid of all of those sites? I guess so???

Yes, the site is about handmade ethnic jewelry, the countries in which they come from and the materials used. I guess I better get a little more focused. I did a sitemap today so as to try to make heads or tails out of it myself. I'm now going to put on my home page the countries, the gemstones, the designs, the other materials used and get all the other stuff off of the home page. Then it might make a little more sense.

Lastly, I have no idea what is popping up on my homepage. Could you tell me why that might be happening? It's not doing it to me when I go on there. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Try to be gentle. I'm trying really hard and I'm very sensitive.

pattykraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:03 AM   #7
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Patty, don't be disheartened. Your hard work shows. Hopefully you will take commentary as constructive and help it to make you a better business person/e-commerce retailer.

Here is something I have started doing with websites. I have done my own design by grabbing an editor and going to town pasting in graphics and content. No rhyme or reason other than my own brain and attempted creativity as my guide. That doesn't work. I now write down what I want to accomplish with my site and put it into order. I then take those goals and draw up an outline of how I would want my visitors to track through my website. It gives me an idea of what pages to create and how to link them.

Keep in mind people are looking for information first. They want to be confident in the website's authority to sell the product they are seeking. Its a fine line between an infomercial and a casual, confident and informative pace. Think of how you would like to be approached by a salesperson. If you are looking for a new TV at Best Buy and have no clue what to buy, you would be more engaged by a salesperson that explored your needs and guided you towards a product by explaining the benefits each type of TV would give you. If the salesman took you from the TV section, to the section that sells surround sound, then to the section that sells batteries for the remote, then to DVD's you could watch without first nailing down the primary reason you walked into Best Buy, you'd probably walk out the door with nothing.

The one think that kills web retailers, myself included but I am finally coming around, is putting SEO as first priority. Yeah, its great to rank but focusing on traffic is ego driven. Conversions are what makes you money. Its better to have 40 people visit your site per day and have five of them buy something than it is to have a site where 500 people come, get confused and click out without even debating buying a thing.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Logan
Administrator

As Ken said, hang in there. If you keep working on it, you'll get there.

Quote:
I have no idea what is popping up on my homepage. Could you tell me why that might be happening? It's not doing it to me when I go on there.
I was getting the popup as well, but now I think it is removed. There was javascript prompting it.

Quote:
I see that, those people who wanted to link to me were part of a link farm. Now, I get it. Should I just get rid of all of those sites? I guess so???
I think you are using the word link farm generally. The examples are link exchanges, which is where two sites link back and forth to each other.

I would get rid of them. Just my opinion.

Quality first, links are not easy to get - but they are important ... especially to do it right.

As Torka explained, be very aware who you are linking to. You can't control who links to you, so while 'bad neighborhood' links may not hurt as you described ... that doesn't mean they will help (i.e. filtered out)