Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th December 2005, 01:19 PM   #81
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Holy smokes! Can't wait to read the write-up on the..er..write-up at NYT.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th December 2005, 11:09 AM   #82
fujister

Default Great work

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

Just wanted to say thanks to Jenn for inspiring me! I've been thinking about this sort of thing for ages, but reading this saga has shown me the way forward, and taught me a lot. Amazing work so far, can't wait to see how far this goes!

I've taken the first tentative steps to setting up a shop (see sig.) for a niche interest, and I've got loads more designs to cook up, but am a bit stumped how to get people to find my shop in the first place. I was thinking of setting up a blog/webpage to do with my interest (fractals) but then how would anyone find that either!?

Guess I'll mooch around these forums a bit more, there seems to be an awful lot of good info around here.

fujister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 01:15 PM   #83
Logan
Administrator

Welcome fujister

Start a new thread in our new member introduction forum and give us more info on what you've done and what you want to do. Usually there isn't a lack of ideas around here to get you started.

Old 15th December 2005, 08:09 PM   #84
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

fujister, welcome!

(shhhh....this is a secret....there just might be an announcement coming up in a future 30 day article that aims to help folks like you out a bit....)

Also, sorry for the lame lack of articles the last two days. (Though going to try to get one online tonight and tomorrow...) My husband ended up in the ER last night and again this morning (he's ok now, no worries) and I had to close on our house and our new house today. Plus we move on Saturday, so I spent most of the day packing.

Off I go to do some writing.

Old 15th December 2005, 10:23 PM   #85
thejenn

Default Day 21 - Getting CafePress Integrated with My Site, Reviewing Media Lists and Loads o

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006384.html

The bulk of day twenty-one was spent looking at code and admin pages and trying to get my CafePress content to look just right on the Lactivist web site. Along with that, I spent some time reviewing media lists for our upcoming public relations blitz, did a little more work with ClickTracks and uploaded half a dozen new shirts.

Old 16th December 2005, 06:26 AM   #86
docluv

Default AdSense and Affiliate Revenue

I am a little concerned about her advertising revenue. It looks like Jennifer is putting a lot of energy into this project and she was gettign some great $$$s from Adsense and her affiliate marketing the first few days they went live and now nothing has really changed for her revenue wise here for probably over a week.

I had not actually checked her site in a few days so I thought she might have removed the ads, but no. I know Jennifer worked hard on getting the Adsense engine to properly target her site, but nothing since then.

I am not sure but maybe the ads she has attracted now that it is targeted are really low paying ads, like in the $0.10 rage. I know her rules limited her budget so she could not use wordtracker to find the higher paying keywords, so maybe that is it.

Anyway, I have just been paying attention because I am going to very soon start some advertising based sites and this concerned me.

docluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 11:38 AM   #87
thejenn

I'm averaging $1.98 a day with AdSense, so it is growing, it's just growing slowly. Some days it's 54 cents, some days it more than $3.00...

The AdSense was originally paying off with more income than the shirts were, which made sense because in the beginning, I had a TON of traffic but not much of it was targeted. That means that the only income I was likely to get from that traffic would come if they clicked on an ad.

Now, I'm getting more targeted traffic (two to three family/parenting message boards a week end up pointing at it) so my shirt sales are increasing and my AdSense is either staying the same or dropping.

I have played around with the Chitika system and the Amazon system, but neither one of them pays diddly. I've found that I'm better off using that space to push affiliate sales to CafePress as a whole. Right now my CafePress income is about 60/40 between my own sales and affiliate revenue.

The nice thing about that as far as what it teaches people is that bloggers that are currently relying just on AdSense might do well to hook up with an affilate program like CafePress offers. They create all the ads for you (or you can create your own if you want to target certain products) and you can feed people directly into different topical categories which makes conversions more likely.

I've not really pushed my affiliate sales, but I've still made more than $100 of of them so far. (Remember, in real time, I'm a few days ahead of the articles...)

Old 16th December 2005, 05:44 PM   #88
thejenn

Default Day 22 - It's All About the Networking, but Not The Way You Think...

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006396.html

While day twenty-two didn't involve a lot of actual work on The Lactivist site, it did keep me hopping with discussions via forums, email and blogs. I'd been trying to stay on top of things for online reputation management purposes, but on day twenty-two, I realized that things might be going a bit further than that.

Old 17th December 2005, 12:04 AM   #89
thejenn

Default A few days off...

Hey everyone...just to let folks know, I'll be offline until late Monday. My husband, daughter, dog and I are moving to our new home tomorrow and it will be Monday or Tuesday before DSL is hooked up again.

I'll be back, I promise. Plans are to try and get the last 7 articles all up next week so that the series is wrapped by Christmas.

Old 17th December 2005, 03:46 PM   #90
Pete_Wailes

Just letting you know I've done a small feature which sites you as an example in my blog/newletter.
Feel free to link/copy any part of it.
Best wishes

Last edited by Pete_Wailes; 19th December 2005 at 11:18 AM.
Pete_Wailes is offline   Reply With Quote