Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd December 2005, 05:13 PM   #111
pugdaddy

Default Thanks & Good Luck

Thanks for the thoughts. Good advice all.

Think I'll stick with the redirect for now - not sure how committed I am to a content store yet.

Goood luck with your project. I'll make sure to keep tabs on what is going on. I've learned quite a bit from your posts. Thanks again.

pugdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:20 PM   #112
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default Day 26 - Planning a Media Push, More Forums and I Start Recruiting Affiliates

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006441.html

On day twenty-six with just a few days left to go I was focused on wrapping up plans for some of the marketing methods I'd been working on throughout the project. I needed to finalize plans for our media push, start working out how to recruit some affiliates for The Lactivist store and dive back into the world of online parenting discussion forums.

Old 23rd December 2005, 04:33 PM   #113
thejenn

Default Day 27 - Buzzing and Building the Blogosphere and a Plan for Long-Term Revenue Succes

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006453.html

With just a few days left to go in the Lactivist project and my media plan shaping up nicely, I spent day twenty-seven catching up on blog posts that I'd missed, making a few of my own and exchanging some emails with a friend that had a suggestion for long-term revenue generation with The Lactivist.

Old 24th December 2005, 12:16 AM   #114
Vacation Mamma
I bought the book!

Default Great PR b4 Media Push?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejenn
Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006441.html
I needed to finalize plans for our media push, .
I'm back from a vacation to snow country (with great fodder for my planned blog on by owner vacation rentals - but that's another story!

Congrats on the great traditional press coverage on SF Chronicle. Since you haven't even released your press package/release yet, do you know how they picked up on you so quickly?

I just got a chance to look at my web stats since your mention here! Definately a nice jump in referrals from here, and coincidentally or not, Google Bot visits (I've yet to break out of the sandbox and/or thru their ceiling, though I'm indexed, but not on any significant page for key phrases...)

It's interesting that the press is portraying your project as a "monetizing of your blog", but I thought it really was blogging as marketing!!! So which is it?

Merry Christmas! What will we do without your 30 days articles? Will you keep us all up to date here with your long term progress and tactics?

Old 25th December 2005, 01:19 PM   #115
LeeMac

I came across this "experiment" a day ago and I've spent a lot of time reading each and every posting. very interesting info and I'm glad you've shared this with others. You've even given me some ideas I can use and add onto the web site I started to work on just a few months ago. Thank you very much.

LeeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2005, 12:46 AM   #116
Vacation Mamma
I bought the book!

Default Inspired to Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejenn
Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006453.html

catching up on blog posts that I'd missed, making a few of my own .
Thank you Jennifer for this inspiring series! I've been pondering blogging publicly for months now (been doing it privately for a year) and thanks to this series, I started my first related to my business. Check it out at Real Vacations and Travel with Vacation Mamma

Old 29th December 2005, 10:28 AM   #117
thejenn

Melinda, Nicely done! I read through the first several blog posts and this is the EXACT kind of blog that small businesses like yourself should be using.

It's informative, interesting and it will give you chances to earn money through affiliate revenue. (You know, I'm pretty sure that several airlines and hotel chains have affiliate programs, have you looked into them to make sure you are taking advantage of them when you can?)

I'm also thinking that book reviews might not be a bad idea if you are talking about a place that has appropriate books to go with it...then you can make use of the Amazon affiliate program. Heck, you can even link in to items like ski boots or life jackets at Wal-Mart when appropriate.

Affiliate programs being filtered through your blog is a great way to earn a side revenue from the folks that simply aren't going to book their vacation with you right now... That's ok though, because by creating good content, you'll attract search traffic and you'll build user loyalty making it more likely that they will come back to you when it's time to book.

Send me an email, want to get your story so that we can use it when we start doing our "inspired by 30 days" series on Small Business Brief.

Old 29th December 2005, 12:06 PM   #118
salemonty

Default Shirts for sale?

Hey, I found your thread very interesting. You should check out our sale blog over at www.SaleHug.Com and post your sale.

We review all sales posted before we activate them but we like your creativity and originality. We will surely post any sales or just post a link to your site to spread the good word.

Let me know and thanks for creating this original thread.

Last edited by salemonty; 29th December 2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added www
salemonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 05:35 PM   #119
larry

Default Updates??/

Jenn,

Your last update was posted as of December 23 for day 27 of your project. Is there some reason updates for the last three project days have not been posted?

Larry

larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 09:05 PM   #120
Vacation Mamma
I bought the book!

Talking Blogging for Business- Monetizing sites

Quote:
(You know, I'm pretty sure that several airlines and hotel chains have affiliate programs, have you looked into them to make sure you are taking advantage of them when you can?)
  • show myself as an "expert" worth listening to
  • provide addtional resources for guest to my site
  • draw new traffic that I might not otherwise reach to my site
  • have an outlet for my hidden author within
  • and monetize my efforts to support advertising for my business, or investment in it (each $10 is another movie or book I can add to my libraries at the rentals).

Quote:
I'm also thinking that book reviews might not be a bad idea if you are talking about a place that has appropriate books to go with it...then you can make use of the Amazon affiliate program. Heck, you can even link in to items like ski boots or life jackets at Wal-Mart when appropriate.
I knew about amazon's associate program for a long time, and had tried to use it years ago, but couldn't figure it out. Now it is so easy I WILL be adding relevant titles to my actual web pages. I keep some on location, but guests are always buying them, I might as well share my expertise, and generate some revenue.

Quote:
Affiliate programs being filtered through your blog is a great way to earn a side revenue from the folks that simply aren't going to book their vacation with you right now... That's ok though, because by creating good content, you'll attract search traffic and you'll build user loyalty making it more likely that they will come back to you when it's time to book.
My only concern is the more time I spend setting up/maintaining affiliates, the less time I spend on the core functions of my business. I have to weigh the $ value of one activity vs. the next, but my thought is that it it builds loyalty, then I can add in the value of that and potential viral marketing (hey we're going to New England next summer...oh I know of this place you might like...go to Real Vacations and Travel with Vacation Mamma

Quote:
Send me an email, want to get your story so that we can use it when we start doing our "inspired by 30 days" series on Small Business Brief.
Done...now what will we all look forward to for a diversion w/out any more 30 days series?