Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Ideas Forum Info > New Member Introductions
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th May 2006, 12:48 AM   #1
duchess

Default Any consignment store owners out there?

I am about to start a consignment store business. I hope to sell clothes, furniture, etc. I hope to find a contact out there that can give me some advice before jumping in.
Thanks
Duchess

duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th May 2006, 09:09 AM   #2
forwardassoc

Hello and Welcome!

I won't be much help with this particular business, but good luck!

Trinette

forwardassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 02:26 PM   #3
KevinW
VIP Contributor

Are you looking at selling only at your brick and mortar, or using eBay as well? I know a guy that's been internet consigning for years, and doing pretty well.

Overhead can be difficult though. The brick and mortar would really be hurting their business if he didn't have relatives in commercial real estate...

Old 10th May 2006, 02:37 PM   #4
junkqueen

Thumbs up Consignment shop biz

Hello Duchess,
I had a consignment shop a few years ago and truly wished I still had it. Even for my small town I did pretty good. It was my first real business and I didnt know then what i know now. Brand name clothes that are in pristine condition sell really well in adults as well as childrens. It just depends on where you live. Used furniture in excellent condition does well here as well.
I started out consigning my stuff since it didnt take upfront cash to stock my sales floor. But if I ever did resale again I would combine consignment with buying my own merchandise to fill up my store.

Second hand is a really fun business but it is also hard work. But if you love it the hard work is hardly even noticible.

junkqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 05:27 PM   #5
pete
VIP Contributor

Throughout the 90's I was selling, installing and training in the use of Point-of-Sale and other specialized computer systems. I set up a system for a lady with a children's consignment shop, and it is true that it is work!

This was a single parent with a young daughter and she never had much time to herself. She had a storefront in a strip shopping center. We hardly ever had time to talk, since there was always someone in her shop. Never a lot of people, but a constant stream. This was in a city of 100,000 or so that is part of a larger metro area of 1.5 million, or so.

As part of the system I also installed a computer for her in her home so she could use PC Anywhere to access the store register and work from home in the evenings. She had a large back room at the shop and a large enclosed porch at her home just overflowing with mostly clothing waiting to be priced and put out.

She priced stuff every chance she had at the shop, and while working with her daughter's school work at home. It really was a full time job.

But she had a good bunch of suppliers, ladies who would hunt the garage sales, picking out the plums and bringing them in to her. She decided on the prices, and marked them down monthly (more time). If after 3 months they hadn't sold, she would call the consignee and tell her to piock them up, or she would donate to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

She was a very personable lady, had grown up in the area, was active in her church and treated everyone fairly. I believe it was these attributes that put her in a business where she could support herself and her daughter as well as build some equity for the future.

But she was working 24/7.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Linda
VIP Contributor

Hi Duchess

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the consignment store. They are prospering down here!

Linda

Old 12th May 2006, 12:48 AM   #7
KAYLINDA
VIP Contributor

Default Been there...done that!

Yes...we owned one for almost three years....then decided to go back into the restaurant business. I still have to say...it was my favorite...and next to the restaurant...hardest thing I've done. The key is keeping your items in tip top shape. Cleaning where needed...and then keeping them clean! Mark-downs are necessary....and must be conveyed in your contracts with your consignors. The consignors themselves were the biggest pain in the neck. We payed monthly...and they were lined up outside the door when I got there practically. Make sure your contract has everything in it you need...the right to sell at the price you deem necessary...the comission they will receive...the right to mark down....the right to get rid of the merchandise...that doesn't sell....the right to display it the way you see fit...even down to how you will contact them in case you decide you are going to close your business....how often they will be paid...how they will be paid....I could go on and on...but will let this suffice for now. If you are a glutton for punishment....you will love it! The best asset you could obtain would be a washer and a dryer....and perhaps a steamer if you want to press them. I would also suggest you invest in the plastic bags that at least cover the shoulders of the clothing. You will be amazed how dirty they can get from dust in a short time of hanging. (you might also invest in a hanger company)...lol. Best of luck!

whoops....couldn't let this be....I forget to mention....be sure you have a good bookkeeping system in place. I would strongly urge you to "check in" and list all items from your consignors and have them sign it. This way...they won't later try to tell you they gave you something they didn't.

Last edited by KAYLINDA; 12th May 2006 at 12:50 AM.
KAYLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 08:31 AM   #8
cmww33

Great idea! Sounds like fun. There is a resale shop on every corner just about here and I am a regular shopper of them. Good luck! I love resale shops. Christine

cmww33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 07:00 PM   #9
Corey De Roo

Send a message via Yahoo to Corey De Roo
Lightbulb I have a Consignment Shop!

I have a consignment shop and am more than happy to help, share ideas, and offer free advice...Free?! What a nice change! It seems as if the minute you open a small biz, EVERYONE has some sort of service to offer you! LOL ohhhhh well!

Please feel free to drop me a line!

Corey De Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 03:11 PM   #10
FlyGirlsCloset

Default Just opened my own shop too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey De Roo
I have a consignment shop and am more than happy to help, share ideas, and offer free advice...Free?! What a nice change! It seems as if the minute you open a small biz, EVERYONE has some sort of service to offer you! LOL ohhhhh well!

Please feel free to drop me a line!
Hello,
My name is Michele I live in NJ and just opened up my own consignment shop called FlyGirlsCloset. It is a very small boutique type store and I sell designer and name brand shoes,bags,clothes etc. My problem is trying to get consigners to get higher end merchandise. How do you do it and tell me your story how you started. thanks and look forward to getting to know you.
blessings
michele

FlyGirlsCloset is offline   Reply With Quote