Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Ideas Forum Info > New Member Introductions
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th July 2004, 04:07 PM   #11
Logan
Administrator

Welcome to you Virginia SEO as well!! and thank you for the kind words.

Deaf, that is an excellent question that I will return later to reply to when I have a few moments to write out my two cents regarding it. thank you for asking.

Last edited by Logan; 7th July 2004 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th July 2004, 11:56 PM   #12
Logan
Administrator

"Just curious about the SearchTrax. What is the difference between that and Web Urchin, WebTrends or Net Tracker?

Our company mainly uses Urchin due to that being offered by our primary client's hosting company however, I am always on the lookout on better and cheaper solutions if there are any."

--------

I should state that SearchTrax is often used as a 'compliment' to an existing stats program versus a complete replacement. Of course many solely use SearchTrax, but many also use SearchTrax in addition to a program like WebTrends, Net Tracker, etc.

Your question really is best answered by setting up a trial account and directly observing for yourself how it functions. When going from one web stats program to another, I always encourage folks to run both simultaneously for a 'transition period'. This allows someone to ensure the reporting they are replacing is adequate for their needs. The free trial with a web stats program usually will provide you this ability to directly evaluate the realities yourself.

Regarding the difference, the biggest is that SearchTrax does not provide graphical presentations of the data across time spans currently. The pretty charts are not there right now. Its straight column data right now - and not graphs - which is the most obvious difference. Currently there is no graphical presentation within the reporting. Some like this format of reporting, but there are great benefits to graphical presentation as well. We anticipate with time it will have graphing ... even providing graphs of your traffic trends by keyword and engine over time in addition to what is there currently.

SearchTrax is a webstats program that is primarily focused on just the focus concerned with search marketing/optimization referral data. (1) The source url/site or search engine (2) The source keyword search term.

This data is provided in reports you can drill down to review keywords and search engine details. SearchTrax provides unique visitors, visits, and page views cumulative data for the time span you specify similar to WebTrends and others. Additionally there is a page view count report which provides page view totals.

From my standpoint there is a lot of 'stuff' in the zillion log/web stats program available - a lot which is not necessarily relevant to the user of a webstats program. For example, SearchTrax does not provide data on the often unimportant 'hits' stat (verus visitors, visits, and page views which it does).

I hope that helps answer you question deaf. thank you for asking.

Old 9th July 2004, 08:57 AM   #13
bitguard

Default Hi Logan

undefined Can you tell me what the difference is between your Search Trax and the urchin software we are currently using?

bitguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2004, 11:56 AM   #14
Logan
Administrator

bitguard - welcome to the forum!

regarding the difference I've made some comments already, but they are really apples and oranges so it is not possible for me to clearly communicate to you the differences. For starters alone, Urchin is analyzes log files (many inherent issues are related to that) and SearchTrax is not based on log files.

As mentioned in my previous post, the best way to answer your question is to directly try both and compare what each provides based on your needs.

What does SearchTrax provide, it's rather straight forward -

Keyword Report
Search terms that have referred visitors to your site

Referral Report
Search engines and sites that have referred visitors

Visitor Report
Summary statistics reviewing general visitor activity

Page Report
View search terms by page and review page views

Time Span
Adjust the time frame of your reporting data

Old 9th July 2004, 07:26 PM   #15
Vinnie

Hi Logan

Just a quick question: Isn't ths software the same as using Awstats or Matrixstats?
We use both of those on different sites and they both tell us what search engines are refering, keywords and geographic location, etc. Does yours do ths sand more?
I havn't gotten to read all the buff on it as of yet but will do in the next few days.

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2004, 09:35 PM   #16
Logan
Administrator

Greetings vinnie!

Quote:
Isn't ths software the same as using Awstats or Matrixstats?
I'm not saying that we have created anything earth shattering and new, but I don't think SearchTrax is the same as Awstats or Matrixstats.

Its not a 'typical web stats' function. If you set it up, you will realize it is pretty basic - but is different than your proverbial web stats program. It's seo/search marketing focused. that's all.

Quote:
We use both of those on different sites and they both tell us what search engines are refering, keywords and geographic location, etc. Does yours do ths sand more?
i'm not familiar with everyone of the zillion web stats programs - but i believe ours does tell you what you mention - but there may be some unique things as well.

As one example, with searchtrax I can review the referral string that would be found in the log file. For example, you can 'drill' down to view referral data and end up with something like this....

--------------------------

URL tracks from referring site

www.referraldomain.com

Count Referrals by URLs

37 www.referraldomain.com/
2 /news/2004/0707.html
1 /news/001677.html
1 /news/001675.html
1 /mynews.html

Thus in the above example I can view where referrals are coming from a site and how many. Another example, but this time based on referral urls from a search engine might look like this

search.yahoo.com/search

Count Referring URL
3 p=widget ideas&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

3 fr=fp-pull-web-t&p=small business widgets

2 p=business widget ideas
forum&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

2 p=widget business&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

1 p=blue widget
setup&sp=1&ei=UTF-8&cop=mss&fr=fp-tab-web-t&SpellState=n-273
1451896_q-9YlKPIhmQ13/[email protected]@

1 p=how to setup blue widgets&SpellState=n-1829872829_q-sPjn9GdHGLyLYZSYAEQ/DQABA
[email protected]@&pstart=1&b=21

1 p=newsletter widget ideas&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

1 p=small business ideas for
widgets&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

1 p=creative widget
ideas&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

1 fr=fp-pull-web-t&p=green widget setup

1 p=small widdget&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

In addition to drilling down to view the actual referral string - you can view popularity of search terms by keyword, search engine or page based on any time frame you set. This includes the past 5 minutes to see very recent referrals, up to literally all reporting data archived for a domain.

At the same time SearchTrax does not do everything Awstats or Matrixstats does. Simply different approaches to reporting web stat information - ours is primarily seo focussed where I judge most other web stat programs are not necessarily.

Early on within this thread I mentioned that many use SearchTrax as a compliment to another stats program like Webalizer - some find that to be the best solution for them. For others SearchTrax provides everything they need. and some i assume are satisfied with their current setup.

Old 10th July 2004, 06:16 AM   #17
Vinnie

Hey Logan

Thanks for clarifying that. I was not being critical of your program in any way. Just trying to sort the differences and is it actually worth replacing current programs like Awstats or Matrixstats or using in conjunction with!

You have answered my question... I will use it in conjunction with the current programs for a more in-depth SEO tool.

Thanks

Old 10th July 2004, 10:34 AM   #18
Logan
Administrator

Vinnie - i'm glad i have been able to answer your question. i would like to apologize as obviously my tone was not appropriately communicated within my post. I did not take your comments as being critical, although I now understand how it came across that way. Because I had just previously answered a similar question my assumption was that you had read that and were unclear based on my previous communications within this thread. Thus I was experiencing frustration in clearly answering a very valid question. The challenge of doing so has convinced me that each person uses a web stat program as a tool. How they use that tool for what 'they need to know' varies greatly.

Old 10th July 2004, 05:34 PM   #19
Vinnie

No probs my friend. Maybe I should have read in-deph at previous post but started from the top and halfway though the postings decided to post my own thoughts.

Old 14th July 2004, 04:54 AM   #20
daveo

I am using searchtrax after a newsletter I subscribe to recommended it. I am impressed with the stats it produces. The part that I liked most was it could show stats by pages, so one can tell how many visitors popped into the site from which pages, from where and what were the search terms.

Keep it up, Logan.

daveo is offline   Reply With Quote