Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th November 2009, 11:59 AM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation SEO Scams And Newbies Realm Of Gullibility

One of my all-time favorite tv shows is The Twilight Zone. I particularly like Rod Serling's memorable opening narration:

"There is a sixth dimension, beyond that which is known to newbies. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, and it lies between the pit of newbies gullibility and the sunlight of their naiveté. This is the dimension of smoke and mirrors. It is a dimension known as SEO Scams and Newbies Realm of Gullibility." Continue reading SEO Scams and Newbies Realm of Gullibility.

David Jackson

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th November 2009, 03:37 AM   #2
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I was almost scammed by a website directory early this year, I signed up for a free trial which was for 30 days.

After the 30 days was up I was sent a letter chasing me for money, I called them to find out what was going on but they said they did not understand English and to call back in German, the directory was advertising they speak in all languages.

I knew something was going on then!

I found it strange as any other self respecting directory would write and inform you the 30 days was up and would we like to go ahead and purchase advertising, I had forgotten about the whole submission anyway, until the letter arrived.

Anyway I wrote and told them I was not paying their invoice as they had tried to scam me instead of offering me the opportunity to advertise or not after my 30 day free trial.

The letters kept coming and were nastier and nastier with interest! Threatening to take me to court for non payment of an invoice, I just kept ignoring them - finally they did go away and realise I wasn´t going to cough up.

I found a forum talking about their directory and it was indeed a scam so I am glad I stuck to my guns and did not part with any of my hard earned cash

Old 25th November 2009, 08:06 AM   #3
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Yep, the We'll Submit Your Website to 2500 Search Engines is a huge scam. But newbies keep falling for it hook, line and sinker. I'm glad you recognized it for what it was, before it was too late.

David Jackson

Old 25th November 2009, 08:27 AM   #4
therawdata

Send a message via AIM to therawdata Send a message via Skype™ to therawdata

Yeah, that is horrible.

I mean, paying $200-$300 a keyword is more how SEO should be priced in the future, instead of doing thousands a month.

SEO isn't that hard, don't let them tell you it is.

therawdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Arghhhh those websites annoy me, I am training a link builder at the moment and she came across a website that was offering just that 1000 submissions for $29 so that turned into an interesting conversation

Good though because it meant she learnt a lot about internet scams and why we don´t submit to search engines!

I forgot to mention that I also told the company who tried to invoice me for a listing that I was going to ask my Twitter network what they thought and then they threatened to sue me if I mentioned their name - howl!

I enjoyed that bit, this was proof enough that they were indeed a scam, little did they realise there is already forums with tons of negative discussions about them

Old 1st August 2011, 07:38 AM   #6
smallbus01

Thanks for the info guys and for sharing your past experiences for other users to be aware of. Those scammers are just plain pathetic. Tricking people for a quick buck. They can't find anything decent to do to contribute to the community.

smallbus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 09:48 AM   #7
mando distancia

I am suprised these submit to search engine packages are still out there.

mando distancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 11:53 AM   #8
GoForIt123

About time someone made an article about this. I've been always curious are those freelancing sites any good? Or are those scams too. Because I've tried those online surveys on the web, was that annoying or what?

Good info, thanks for sharing it with us.

GoForIt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 11:29 PM   #9
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForIt123 View Post
About time someone made an article about this. Good info, thanks for sharing it with us.
You're quite welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read my article.

David Jackson

Old 20th August 2011, 04:46 PM   #10
innermountain

We were contacted by a search engine called Red Z about advertising with them. They pointed to a competitor of ours, saying the competitor had received thousands of targeted hits as one of their customers. It's a set amount per cllick, and you pay for a set amount up front. They wanted about $600 for every one of our keyword phrases. After some research, we learned that the conversion rate for these "hits" is essentially zero. Red Z somehow use robots to create hits. Big scam - beware fellow entrepreneurs!

innermountain is offline   Reply With Quote