Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th May 2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Natasha2005

Default Trade Show Disaster?

We got invited to share a table with someone at a show. Packed up all sorts of stuff, spent airline ticket money, clothing money, and money for a nice poster.
My husband got to the show yesterday only to find out that the trade part of said show, is only for one day. The rest of the days are for classes, most of which he had no desire to take. The literature for the show went to the guy who paid for it, and granted he probably should have scrutinized the schedule, especially before we went and send my husband down there. But still, I have never heard of a show where you cant have your booth but for one day and several hours.
I'm very sad that my husband got all jazzed for something that probably is going to be a big flop.

Natasha2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th May 2006, 09:10 PM   #2
scottco

Default trade show mishaps

Natasha2005 --

I can understand your frustration. I can't offer much help on what might already have happened, but you can be assured many folks who try to market at trade shows or conferences have experienced the same type of disappointments.

For the future, here are some tips:

- SCHEDULING: when you schedule a show "presence", get the details directly from the trade show organizer (especiallly in this case, when you are sharing a booth or table top with another exhibitor). That is, get a specific schedule of events, times, etc. of what's going on when and where. Many shows and conferences have times when EVERYONE is in classes, and not going to see booths. Some have breaks when folks will visit booths. You need to know this so that your materials are on the location at the right time....and so you have someone there to "man" the booth when attendees might be present. You should also ask for the amount of attendees and other info...to determine if it's worth the costs. ALSO: beware of timing of delivery of materials (some larger shows require they arrive several days in advance). Always send materials via shipping methods that can be tracked...the last thing you want is that you sent them, and the hotel, etc. can't find them, but signed off on delivery. Do everything in way that can be tracked.

- SHARING THE BOOTH OR TABLE -- if you do make an arrangement to share a booth or table at a conference, you might be able to save costs by just shopping your materials, etc. to your partner, and share only the cost of their booth or table. Of course, if you do this, it's important that you are certain who you are sharing this with does the (above) -- in that, you are certain they will know the schedule and have folks that can man the table and will hand out your materials. But this would help in saving you costs on travel, accommodations, etc.

Hope this helps -- and sorry that this was a "disaster".

Dont' give up, though. Learn from your experience. It's good that you picked a place you felt was good to sell your product/service. But do know that your a not the only one that has had your experience.

Can you get the list of attendees from the conference organzier -- and do some promotions to the list?

Old 11th May 2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Jess

I have seen more money and time wasted on attending trade shows than in any other form of 'marketing' .... too many people go because they feel that they 'should or have to ' be there.

Jess is offline   Reply With Quote