Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th June 2006, 09:19 PM   #1
shortd81

Default Marketing and Advertising a Mobile Detailing Business

I have yet to advertise because of capital but have been getting referred alot. I'm looking to get busy and want to advertise my business. What do you think is the best way?

I thought about a Press Release and the Phone Book and Newspaper. Any ideas?

shortd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th June 2006, 05:49 AM   #2
Old Welsh Guy

Detailing is like car polishing and stuff isn't it?

People are manic about their cars, and people with nice cars know others with nice cars, so the answer is work on those existing customers. I would look at getting your van signwritten (if it is not already) If you work out of your own car, then make sure it is an advert for your services, and wherever you park it, leave a board advert in it so people can get your number.

Get leaflets (flyers) done, and get them out in the vicinity of your existing clients, as these people will aready have seen your work and your business.

Old 14th June 2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Thx4yrtym

Getting referred a lot is terrific!
Seems like the most cost effective thing you can do right now is make sure you capitalize on each of those referrals.
That means follow up quickly without looking anxious, thanking the person that referred you with a short note, or short text message or short phone call. Some might tell you to pay for or reward those referral. I think you need to be careful how you do that so as not to cheapen it. Many times a sincere thank you is all someone wants such that they understand that you appreciate them.
The flyer / brochure needs to be well done and probably by a professional copyrighter. It will pay for itself many times over. I would probably fund that before doing any advertising.

Just my $0.02

Best of luck with your business , sounds like you are well on your way and definitely doing something right!

Old 14th June 2006, 09:05 PM   #4
mktgbiz

shortd81

My personal recommendation is to avoid the yellow pages and the newspaper. I've never used them, primarliy because they are way toooooooooooo expensive and I can't name 5 people that read the newspaper.

My ebook, listed below in my signature, is perfect for what you are pondering, but I don't want to give a shameless plug..........guess I already did.

Go to Amazon.com and purchase the book - Never Cold Call by Frank Rumbauskus. It's very powerful and covers techniques to finding prospects that deal with today's tecnological advances!!

---

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 09:47 AM   #5
ad-vice_man

Don't even consider the phone book for this. And you are not ready for Newspaper, Radio, TV (Cable or Broadcast)

You don't have an advertising need. You have a Promotion need. They are not the same thing.

Remember the 4 p's of marketing. Product, Price, Place and Promotion.

There are alot of tools in the Promotion tool box besides advertising

Advertising is defined as promotions via paid media.

I'm assuming you're a one man show. Which means you can only do as much business as you yourself can do in a day. Which means the personal touch you offer will never be able to translate into a paid medium. You need to go out and meet people.

I'd suggest you first join your local chamber of commerce and network with business owners (business owners have nice cars and are too busy to take care of them themselves and will often refer you to other business owner friends and employees) Also investigate and join a BNI (Business Networking International) Chapter.

If you're going to invest any money in advertising, invest in business cards. Have nice ones made up, lots of them. Visit car dealerships NEW and Used, Parts stores, and see if they'll display your cards for them. Then visit every coffee house and grocery store in your trade area (with a box of push pins) and post your card (maybe several) on their community bulletin boards.

Get started here and then graduate to advertising when you have many trucks and many employees

ad-vice_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 11:34 PM   #6
Benacer

Send a message via Yahoo to Benacer Send a message via Skype™ to Benacer

Hi,

Forums like this is a good way too. Try to find a forum for car hobbyist, or car owner related forums.

Benacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 05:45 PM   #7
Greyboy

Hey, I also own a mobile detailing service. I have had the most success with placing business cards at gas stations (well those who will allow it). I also place at these gas stations a flyer with a coupon on it specific to that gas station. Another thing Id recommend is attending car shows. You can get a booth, but that can be expensive. I some times will just walk around handing out flyers or even set up a display in the parking lot... which by the way can get you kicked out if you put it in the wrong place

I am restructuring my business at the moment to include my handyman business, but will be advertising in the local paper soon.

If you are just getting started with advertising in papers, I would recommend advertising in a local, rather than city paper. Esp if you are a one man show. Another thing you can do is send in a news tip or have a customer send one in to a local newspaper... some times they will do a small article on your business, esp if you just opened for business.

Like what was said before, I would recommend joining the chamber of commerce as well as a business club. There are many referal clubs where businesses get together to share leads and refer business.

Magnetic or vinyl signs on your vehicle practically speak for themselves... you can advertise 24/7

So far, I am in the process of doing all of this myself and what Ive done so far seems to be working. I wish you the best of luck

Sam

Didnt realize this was an old post...

Last edited by Greyboy; 26th August 2006 at 05:49 PM.
Greyboy is offline   Reply With Quote